Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:37   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
Thats a Toyota Fortuner 2008 model. The 2009 model grills and headlamp have been revised worldwide. My cousin owns a fortuner here in Dubai. Its cramped!!
You are right. Most people going hoo haa over here have not sat inside a Fortuner. It in indeed cramped for its size.

I still support RAV4 - People in India lived with M800 for 20 years and now they are calling Rav4 a small car! Joke!

The reason I support 4x4 Rav4 is because it is good for Indian traffic conditions, not too big and not too small, does the job of softroading that majority of consumers will do.

I believe Rav4 will be more expensive to built, hence the Fortuner platform/part sharing with Innova.
Also, as they say, the Japanese keep the best for themselves, hence no Rav4.

Here are the Interior specs of 2007-2008 -

Fortuner -
Passenger space: 3520 litres
Optional cargo space: 1190 litres

Rav4 -
Passenger space: 3520 litres
Optional cargo space: 1320 litres

I really dont really go by old fashioned feeling of 'bigger the better' when I am living in India. One has to keep geography and economics is mind - overcrowded roads due to larger car for example. I dont know why India is not learning from the EU about taxing larger cars.

Last edited by aerohit : 22nd April 2009 at 20:43.
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:55   #152
Senior - BHPian

@aerohit: Most people who haven't sat in the fortuner expect the interior space/seating/legroom to be the same as the innova. Is it not the same ??
I have sat in the third row of both innova and rav4 and the innova is waaay better( I am 6'4"). Rav is almost the same as the endy IMO.
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:32   #153
BHPian

Have sat in this monster in Dubai and this is definitely not cramped. Haven't sat in the Rav 4 though, so can't compare it with that.

One can only say this to be cramped in manner that, after seeing its imposing size and presence, you expect loads of room. The space inside the fortuner is similar to that of the Innova which is not bad at all.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:26   #154
Senior - BHPian

is fortuner as bad as pajero or endeavor when it comes to third row seats?
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:32   #155
Senior - BHPian

Saw a black one on Mysore Road. The registration KA-05 is Yeshwanthpur. Something to do with Ravindu Toyota? Usually factory ones are KA42.
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:28   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
is fortuner as bad as pajero or endeavor when it comes to third row seats?
The Third row isn't that bad as in the case of the Pajero or Endy!

The third row space is in the league of Innova
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:30   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_budhiraj View Post
The Third row isn't that bad as in the case of the Pajero or Endy!

The third row space is in the league of Innova
Have you tried getting into this third row? I havent been able to get to the 3rd row yet - so I dont know how comfortable it is.

The 2nd row has very little legroom, too. Its a bit like the space in the Ikon/Accent class.
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:13   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Have you tried getting into this third row? I havent been able to get to the 3rd row yet - so I dont know how comfortable it is.

The 2nd row has very little legroom, too. Its a bit like the space in the Ikon/Accent class.
@ Steeroid, didn't sat in the 3rd row for more than few mins. Just sat in to check whether it has enough space to hold a 6' person like me. The space I found was adequate enough.

The model in which I sat had the slider seat in the 2nd row, which could be adjusted as per your requirement. The seat had generous space but again was lacking the proper under thigh support, though not bad as in the case of Endy.

Overall it was more than acceptable for me in comparison to Endy!
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:45   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@ Steeroid, didn't sat in the 3rd row for more than few mins. Just sat in to check whether it has enough space to hold a 6' person like me. The space I found was adequate enough.

The model in which I sat had the slider seat in the 2nd row, which could be adjusted as per your requirement. The seat had generous space but again was lacking the proper under thigh support, though not bad as in the case of Endy.

Spot on ! I sat in the back seat of the Fortuner for about 30 mins in Dubai a year back. I too found the thigh support inadequate.
Since I will be replacing my Endeavour for the Fortuner, I tried to compare the two cars. The Endeavour's seats are too low hence thigh support is even less. The Fortuner seats you much higher in comparison.

Personally, thigh support is as much or more important than legroom to me. Sadly, most car markers, especially in India ignore this. Toyota has the worsest thigh support, even the Altis has the same sob story.

Last edited by Sahil : 23rd April 2009 at 14:48.
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:50   #160
Senior - BHPian

Thats one hell of a beast (on page 5).I thought the american version was a bit longer..coz Yankees like always that way.
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:28   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

I sat in the third row seat and i can tell you that it is far better than Prado/Endy/Pajero 2.8. The main reason being that for the others, the seat is low on the floor and you have you'r knees sticking up. The fortuner actully as the footwell in the third row lowered so you can actually sit better. Ofcourse the third row will never be as good as the middle row unless you spring for a minivan.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Spot on ! I sat in the back seat of the Fortuner for about 30 mins in Dubai a year back. I too found the thigh support inadequate.
Guys, this is definitely no Landcruiser 200 series or Range Rover.

Let's put things in perspective. For anyone who needs a frame on body 4WD with low range the only competition in India for the Fortuner is Endy and Pajero 2.8 and I can tell you that the Fortuner is leagues ahead of both of them in terms of refinement and comfort.

For folks who are using it as a regular car but would like the looks of an SUV and comfort should consider only the softroaders like CRV, Outlander, etc..

The other options is to double your budget and spring for a Montero/Prado/Dicovery etc or quadruple your budget and spring for a Cayenne/Range Rover/TLC 200..

Last edited by 4x4addict : 23rd April 2009 at 16:30.
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:07   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Saw a black one on Mysore Road. The registration KA-05 is Yeshwanthpur. Something to do with Ravindu Toyota? Usually factory ones are KA42.

KA05 is Jayanagar. Yeshwantpur is KA04 or KA 02
Old 24th April 2009, 20:54   #163
BHPian

Nice find+great pics.Keep up the good work
Old 25th April 2009, 11:04   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I sat in the third row seat and i can tell you that it is far better than Prado/Endy/Pajero 2.8.

Let's put things in perspective. For anyone who needs a frame on body 4WD with low range the only competition in India for the Fortuner is Endy and Pajero 2.8 and I can tell you that the Fortuner is leagues ahead of both of them in terms of refinement and comfort.
@4x4addict: to what has been stated by you. The Fortuner is indeed leagues ahead of both Endy and Pajero 2.8 in terms of refinement and comfort. Going by the same reason of comparing with the competition I have compared the seats of the Fortuner with Endy and found it to be better supportive.

Had Fortuner not been a great product, the freaks like us wouldn't be waiting for too long, for it to be launched
Old 29th April 2009, 10:24   #165
Senior - BHPian

Got word from my Toyota insider that the Fortuner will be initially imported as a CBU and sold in India so the possiblilty of both auto & mannual being available at launch is high. So the indian built fortuner may happen in mid 2010.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks