Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 13:26   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Got word from my Toyota insider that the Fortuner will be initially imported as a CBU and sold in India so the possiblilty of both auto & mannual being available at launch is high. So the indian built fortuner may happen in mid 2010.
Have got news that launch will be in June-July. Toyota is in talks with ad agencies at the moment. Price 18 lakhs.

If it does come as CBU wouldn't it be priced higher initially? Also road tax would be charged double!
Old 29th April 2009, 14:18   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Have got news that launch will be in June-July. Toyota is in talks with ad agencies at the moment. Price 18 lakhs.

If it does come as CBU wouldn't it be priced higher initially? Also road tax would be charged double!
Import it completely built, build it with SKD Kits..i don't care!
Toyota can smuggle it in if they have to..just get the (@#$%#) thing here !!

Cant bear the wait anymore!
Old 29th April 2009, 15:57   #168
Senior - BHPian

Since immediate objective is get foot into market and it will be produced in India shortly I suppose all this will be absorbed as manufacturer normally do this. So the launch price will be India price with CBU supply for a few months/1 quarter. They have not begun any production at plant so how will they deliver in June - July for that matter even Sept?
Old 29th April 2009, 19:52   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This doesn't make any sense at all. First off CBU carries over 100% import duty and there is no way they can sell it for 20 Lakhs. It will probably be about 30 lakhs unless Toyota is willing to take a loss on the vehicle. AT 30 lakhs it is pushing into the next segment and Fortuner is not in that league yet.

Secondly if they wanted launch as CBU they needn't have waited this long. Other overpriced vehilces from Toyota such as Camry and Prado have been available as CBUs for many year now and they could have launched it years ago.

I totally don't beleive this cause I don't think Toyota is that stupid. If they do, they are doing Ford Endy/Pajero 2.8 a favour by not competing in that segment.
Old 30th April 2009, 03:38   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This doesn't make any sense at all. First off CBU carries over 100% import duty and there is no way they can sell it for 20 Lakhs. It will probably be about 30 lakhs unless Toyota is willing to take a loss on the vehicle. AT 30 lakhs it is pushing into the next segment and Fortuner is not in that league yet.

Secondly if they wanted launch as CBU they needn't have waited this long. Other overpriced vehilces from Toyota such as Camry and Prado have been available as CBUs for many year now and they could have launched it years ago.
If you are all set to launch the car via CKD/SKD route and want to advance the launch by using CBU route, then it is not a bad idea. This is exactly what BMW did as well.

Now, in case of Toyota they would get it from Thailand, don't we (India) have an agreement with Thailand that would alleviate some of the duties ?

One thing is for sure, since Fortuner's main competitor is Endy/Pajero, Toyota isn't stupid enough to price themselves out so it would be reasonable to assume that whenever they launch the car, the pricing would be around the same. I also think that even CRV/Captiva are also Fortuner's competitors because Toyota is as reliable (or more) as Honda and a lot of people who buy Honda for reliability reasons have another option to consider.
Old 30th April 2009, 07:15   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If they planned to go the CBU route until local production is ready? Why did they wait this long given they already import the Camry and Prado as CBU..
Old 30th April 2009, 07:25   #172
Senior - BHPian

i dont think it will be a cbu.After so much of publicity saying its coming in CKD's they wont make it a cbu i feel.
+ if it was a cbu they would have got it very long ago.

P.S mods the NDTV add which pops up on almost every page is very very i repeat very irritating.
Old 30th April 2009, 10:42   #173
Senior - BHPian

agree with 4x4addict. (you have said what I wanted to say, will add one more point here)

1. If they would have intersted in launching CBU, they would have dont it long time back like Prado, Camry
2. It just does makes any financial sense for them to launch as CBU as then the price will be nearly 30 L out of competition with Endy, Pajero etc (which they will lose out soon)
3. The news story (on ET) which mentioned the launch of Sept 09 and price of 20 L for India, did mention of local work being done on the car and not a CBU.

More thought, Camry as of now is highly expensive as it is sold as CBU and is not competing with Accord in terms of pricing, Toyota has realised this and are now looking for some other routes, localisation/CKD to reduce the prices of Camry so that it becomes more accessible to the segment it belongs.
Old 30th April 2009, 21:27   #174
BHPian

New SUV Spotted in Bangalore.

Hey Team, today when I was travelling to office I spotted a new Black SUV, which is yet to be launched. There was plaster stuck on the Logo, tail light headlight and also on the mirrors. I think it had a president view paper, because was not even able to get a view inside the vehicle from any direction. I am sorry, I was not able to take a snap of the vehicle. I think it’s from Mitsubishi or Toyota.

There was a breather scoop on the hood and the vehicle was of mid size, I spotted it at BSK BDA complex and followed till Satya Sai Tourist Road.

If anyone spots it please try taking a snap. It has a red number plate with 09/90 or 90/09 on it.

Last edited by vinayvtec : 30th April 2009 at 21:30.
Old 30th April 2009, 21:32   #175
Senior - BHPian

SOunding like a Fortuner. Take a look at the Fortuner thread and confirm.
Then we will close this thread.
Old 30th April 2009, 21:40   #176
BHPian

Yes, it is. I checked on google now. You can close this thread Sir.
Old 30th April 2009, 22:09   #177
Senior - BHPian

Vinay, this is what you have seen that's Toyota Fortuner

This was spotted my brother on bannerghatta road today

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-sp_a0233.jpg

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-sp_a0234.jpg

MPOWER now you can close the thread.

Last edited by gowda79 : 30th April 2009 at 22:10.
Old 30th April 2009, 22:36   #178
Senior - BHPian

nice catch gowda, Toyota fortuner looks quite good.
Old 30th April 2009, 22:41   #179
Senior - BHPian

wow , thats looks meaty . Awesome height it has got .
Old 30th April 2009, 22:52   #180
Senior - BHPian

what road presence! compare it to the truck behind it!
looks great in black.

btw, it's a 7 seater right?

cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks