Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 01:20   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
We have researched every SUV in the market and nothing can compare to the innova (IMO). We absolutely love the suspension, comfort and high speed driving dynamics that it offers. Even the third row seats are rally really good.
The fortuner is going to be a better looking innova with more power (probably with better interiors) and everything else remains the same.
You're absolutely right. The Fortuner is probably the only SUV in the 20 lac price bracket that has no real weakness. It looks good, has comfy interiors, a decent engine and top class dynamics with off road ability too.
Old 10th June 2009, 15:49   #242
R_R
BHPian

[3) Grand vitara: petrol only, strictly 5 seater, soft roader.[/quote]

Agree that GV is only petrol (though rumors of a diesel next year), but it is not a soft-roader. It is a very capable SUV, check out the posts by GV owners Sudev and Samurai.
Old 10th June 2009, 17:03   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
You're absolutely right. The Fortuner is probably the only SUV in the 20 lac price bracket that has no real weakness. It looks good, has comfy interiors, a decent engine and top class dynamics with off road ability too.
Exactly !!

That is what I have been trying to convince people whining about the faults of the Fortuner. If you look at the immediate competition, which is the Ford Endy and the Pajero 2.8, the Fortuner is far superior to either of these in most aspects. It maynot have the heritage and Paris Dakar hitory of the Pajero but if you look at some of the off-road/articulation testing videos of the Fortuner on Youtube, it has done pretty well so I think the off-road heritage of the Pajero 2.8 is not really an advantage anymore.

The softroaders like Captiva/CRV/X-Trail etc are in a different league and meant to be driven on the road while giving you the looks/space of an SUV. The advantage is that they will be a lot more comfortable/refined/much better handling than the body on frame SUVs mentioned above.
Old 13th June 2009, 19:02   #244
BHPian

Spotted this SUV - Looks like Toyota

Spotted this SUV on Hosur Road, Bangalore, while coming from Electronic City towards Silk Board. Looks like it's owned by Toyota, but not sure.

Any idea, what SUV is this?
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-13062009108.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-13062009109.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-13062009110.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-13062009111.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-13062009114.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-13062009115.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-13062009116.jpg  

Old 13th June 2009, 19:20   #245
Senior - BHPian

@arunksaral :
The car you have spotted is of course toyota Fortuner.

How quick was the car, I mean a general idea. Did you chase it for long and was it quite quick ?
Old 13th June 2009, 19:35   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Spotted and photographed a minimally masked Toyota Fortuner today (23rd March) on Hosur Road in Bangalore . My wife is still amazed that she actually hung halfway out of her window to do that !

Was being driven very gingerly and looked huge and a lot more butch than the Captiva or the CRV. Only the lights and logos were taped.

Enjoy!
Good Catch !!!
I have seen the same SUV on Mysore Road (Near TKM Factory) on June 4th, 1 Silver and 1 Black. Unfortunately I was not carrying a camera.
Old 13th June 2009, 19:37   #247
Senior - BHPian

love this color..
its the same on the new innova which was recently released.
finally some closeup pics.
looks like we are getting the facelifted version with xenon's.
or maybe its the case for the top end models only.
Old 13th June 2009, 22:30   #248
BHPian

This test Fortuner is definately 2009 model with new alloys and new front, rear lights,
but test pics posted earlier in this thread are of older version of fortuner(older lights but alloys of 2009 model)

Last edited by AMAN_SACHDEV : 13th June 2009 at 22:33.
Old 14th June 2009, 19:33   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV View Post
This test Fortuner is definately 2009 model with new alloys and new front, rear lights,
but test pics posted earlier in this thread are of older version of fortuner(older lights but alloys of 2009 model)
Aman you are right. This one has the HID headlights. The earlier one did not. I think they may have two versions. Hopefully the cheaper one will be about 15 lakhs !
Old 14th June 2009, 22:54   #250
Senior - BHPian

im guessing the 2.5 diesel will be around 17-18 . Followed by the 2.7 petrol for around 18-19 and the v6 for 21-23 lacs ex showroom.
just my speculation
Old 14th June 2009, 22:59   #251
Senior - BHPian

Nice shots. I've seen them too but never managed to get any shots.
I don't want to be a party pooper but I did some research and the fortuner seems to have a poor safety record. Google "Toyota Fortuner unstable" and there are quite a few results. Apparently some South African models had fishtailing issues on gravel at as little as 30 kph! The vehicle stability control supposedly gets this issue under check but that leaves two questions.
1) Is the car mechanically poor and are the electronics the only things keeping it safe
2) More importantly, does the Indian version include the stability program? Many manufacturers stop at ABS and do not give ESP on Indian models.

In addition, the platform it is based on, the Toyota Hilux, is prone to rolling over too.

Once again, I'm NOT trying to dampen anybody's fortuner hopes. I feel these are pretty legit issues.
Old 15th June 2009, 00:06   #252
Senior - BHPian

To the above post's . An suv is supposed to be driven like an suv.(well unless its a Porsche or a BMW) Its not meant to take on corners very fast. Lets see if any of the indian suvs can do the moose test w/o failing.
btw this video has been posted before and has been proved pointless my other members.
Old 15th June 2009, 01:50   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Nice shots. I've seen them too but never managed to get any shots.
I don't want to be a party pooper but I did some research and the fortuner seems to have a poor safety record. Google "Toyota Fortuner unstable" and there are quite a few results. Apparently some South African models had fishtailing issues on gravel at as little as 30 kph! The vehicle stability control supposedly gets this issue under check but that leaves two questions.
1) Is the car mechanically poor and are the electronics the only things keeping it safe
2) More importantly, does the Indian version include the stability program? Many manufacturers stop at ABS and do not give ESP on Indian models.

Once again, I'm NOT trying to dampen anybody's fortuner hopes. I feel these are pretty legit issues.
Fortuner is no worse that the rest of the competition in it's class.
You will find the same issues with most high clearance body on Frame SUVs without stability control like to Pajero 2.8, Ford Endy, Scropio and Safari.

The soft-roaders like CRV/Captiva etc. If you don't plan to do any major off-roading geting a soft roader is a much better bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
To the above post's . An suv is supposed to be driven like an suv.(well unless its a Porsche or a BMW) Its not meant to take on corners very fast. Lets see if any of the indian suvs can do the moose test w/o failing.
btw this video has been posted before and has been proved pointless my other members.
Exactly my friend !!.

People want to buy these old school SUVs and then expect Porche like handling. I don't get it. If you want to create a record in the moose test or slalom, don't get an SUV !

Last edited by 4x4addict : 15th June 2009 at 01:51.
Old 15th June 2009, 02:15   #254
BHPian

Can some some one say what tyre is it in the first pic
Old 15th June 2009, 13:18   #255
BANNED

Blind Booking Started

Guys
Today got a call from Nippon Toyota cochin saying that they have started taking bookings for the fortuner. The booking amount is 2lakhs INR.He said they have not recieved any details on the pricing till now, expecting it to be 20lakhs ex-showroom . They have already got 2-3 confirmed bookings as of now. He has confirmed that the engine coming will be the 3.0D4-D with manual Transmission.
Cheers
Dilip Kumar
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks