Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 11:12   #376
BHPian

I saw a couple of them near my house. I was a bit surprised to see them parked in a residential area! Looks really good! Hope they dont disappoint with pricing.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:02   #377
BHPian

Hopefully its priced well in the range of 17 lakhs ex showroom . It anyway carries huge bits from Innova.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:27   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
In Thailand it comes as AWD. Technically how does wheel work in AWD as compared to 4WD ? Isnt both the same ?
AWD (All Wheel Drive) is a full time 4WD.
Old 28th July 2009, 19:48   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
In Thailand it comes as AWD. Technically how does wheel work in AWD as compared to 4WD ? Isnt both the same ?
i think in permanent AWD 60% power is distributed to the rear and 40% to the front.
4WD is activate on demand.
Old 28th July 2009, 20:00   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
i think in permanent AWD 60% power is distributed to the rear and 40% to the front.
4WD is activate on demand.
There is no such rule. It depends on the manufacturer. BMW for example follows this strategy to give their AWD vehicles the feeling of a RWD car. The permanent 4WD (with low range) system used in the Landcruiser, Prado, Fortuner has a 50% split for front and rear. The Full time AWD sytem in latest Toyota RAV4/Highlander/Harrier and some of the Toyota/Lexus cars is an On-demand system which runs in 2WD mode untill slippage is detected by the computer. These light duty AWD system doesn't not have low range and is not meant to be used off-road, it is purely for traction in slippery conditions.
Old 28th July 2009, 20:07   #381
Senior - BHPian

I think these soft roaders CRV etc and some sedans - Subaru/E Class fourmatic and volvos cars/sedans come with AWD vinyas mentioned above and they are permanent mini version that don't have the same capbility and flexibility of a full blown 4WD. In 4WD you switch when you need and traction/high tourque otherwise power only goes to rear wheel full time unless you engage 4WD by moving the lever, the 4WD also have a better ratios for tougher gradidiants (wider ratio ranges).

The fortuner like any true blue off roader or SUV comes with the lever to switch from 2WD to 4WD and there is no permanent AWD system. I wish they had made it electronic flick of switch type even my old 4X4 Safari had the switch used in upmarket SUV's so you could switch from 2WD to 4WD high whilst moving (without stopping) and below 80kmph. Then stop and stwitch to low /crawling gear if you need it. Is it the same in fortuner or you have to stop? Anyone who has experience with lever type - Pajeros or old LC have can shed light.

Last edited by canonball : 28th July 2009 at 20:12.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:57   #382
Senior - BHPian

In the lx470 you can shift to 4h on the move but 4 l you have to slow down to a crawl.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:36   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
The fortuner like any true blue off roader or SUV comes with the lever to switch from 2WD to 4WD and there is no permanent AWD system

I think I saw a TVC of Thai Fortuner on youtube, it mentions it has Full time AWD. So I think it means it is always 4WD.

Am confused like hell on this, though dont have cash to buy this AWD Fortuner.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:10   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
The fortuner like any true blue off roader or SUV comes with the lever to switch from 2WD to 4WD and there is no permanent AWD system. I wish they had made it electronic flick of switch type even my old 4X4 Safari had the switch used in upmarket SUV's so you could switch from 2WD to 4WD high whilst moving (without stopping) and below 80kmph.
Sir, the shifting mechanism (electric or manual) has got nothing to with shift on the fly mechanism. Toyota's 4WD system is a manual shift on the fly unit. You can use the lever to shift to 4WD while the vehicle is moving just like with an electronically controlled transfer case. Just because there is a lever doesn't mean that it cannot be used in AWD mode. The landcruiser, Prado, and Pajero have manual transfer cases, but can be used in AWD mode. The sole criteria that determines the use of permanent 4WD is the center differential.
Old 29th July 2009, 15:12   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Sir, the shifting mechanism (electric or manual) has got nothing to with shift on the fly mechanism. Toyota's 4WD system is a manual shift on the fly unit. You can use the lever to shift to 4WD while the vehicle is moving just like with an electronically controlled transfer case.
True you can do the same thing even in a mahindra (obviously only to 4h)
Old 31st July 2009, 13:11   #386

Hi guys,

This is my first post - have been reading about your various views/news about the gonna be launched Toyota Fortuner. I have seen this car in Thailand for the past 5 or more years and its sibling Hilux single/twin cab pickups. BOTH are brilliant vehicles. I prefer the Hilux - but I guess that would never come to India. Sales volumes?

Fortuner - Its got the looks and on-road presence - for the Toyota die hard fans like me - will buy this vehicle someday. The dealer has said it will let me know about the colours by August 2. It will launch in august 2009.

The downside as some of you have already highlighted - this car is OVERBOOKED by most dealers unofficially - the amount of cars allotted/given to each dealer will be limited. The dealer who i know said they would be getting around 45 cars end September to december. So we all have to wait till 2010 sometime. cheers till then.
Old 31st July 2009, 16:54   #387
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner - spotted on Hosur Road

I saw the Toyota Fortuner being test-driven on the Hosur Road this noon at about 12:00pm. It was a black one and was having patches round the tail lamps, head lamps, etc. Awsome road presence but sorry all, I dont have a camera phone!!
Old 31st July 2009, 18:11   #388
BHPian

Fortuner to hit the roads on Aug 24th

Its official! The much awaited Toyota Fortuner is getting launched on Aug-24th 2009.

Now the only confusion is the Ex-Showroom prices. Hope they position it on the safe side of 20 Lacs.

The world's largest carmaker, Toyota, would launch Fortuner in the Indian market on August 24, betting big on its sports utility vehicle.

Toyota's Indian unit Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) expects Fortuner to "take away 50 per cent market share" in this category.

Toyota Kirloskar Motor Deputy Managing Director (Marketing) Sandeep Singh said the joint venture expects to sell 2,000 units of Fortuner from the launch date to December end. Fortuner would come with a price tag of around Rs 20 lakh, he added.

Company officials said Toyota has not planned to launch any new model over the period between the unveiling of Fortuner in August and its compact car by next year-end. However, there would be limited editions and variants of existing models hitting the roads.

Source: Toyota to launch Fortuner SUV in India on Aug 24
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:54   #389
Senior - BHPian

Guys just booked the Fortuner in black. the car unfortunately would not be available in automatic right now so manual it is. August 24 like mentioned is the launch date and delivery starts september.
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:28   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Guys just booked the Fortuner in black. the car unfortunately would not be available in automatic right now so manual it is. August 24 like mentioned is the launch date and delivery starts september.
Did they give you any more info?Colors/specs/price? I need to book a white one but want to wait till I actually see one, although I am sure I will land up with one due to the lack of choices.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks