Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 16:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I don't understand why all this fuss about Fiat?

500 and Bravo is brought here as CBU, hence the high price, but please remember these cars are not for common mass, it is primarily to showcase Fiat's prowess in making Cars and build a strong brand image before they launch Linea and Punto, and there will be a few who don't mind throwing money to own these beauties!
Fenny you got a point. But inspite of being a CBU isnt it priced on higher side ( 22lacs) . IMO Fiat is taking a risk here , they should rather launch VFM cars first get a good brand value and then launch Bravo , instead of launching Bravo when the A** hasnt improved much . In short i feel they should have launched the Bravo & 500 after Linea and Punto/
Old 10th April 2008, 16:31   #47
BHPian

Instead of bringing in new car as a CBU and pricing it so high, what fiat needs to concentrate on is their existing models such as the palio , petra, siena and adventure and mainly their A.S.S and building the fiat brand image. Only then can they even think about selling high-priced cars.
Old 10th April 2008, 18:09   #48
BHPian

True, but having had the same models for so many years, their India image must have taken a low tech kind of look. With these new models, they will be able to establish that they know how to make hot stuff, its just their service department that they need to spruce up.

But then again, it does seem like two separate companies, one catering to the masses and the other like some overpriced exotic snob group. I am not completely sure how much the bread and butter part of the company will gain from this activity.
Old 11th April 2008, 21:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Bravo is brought here as CBU, hence the high price
Just for info sake, for how much (rupee equivalent) does this sell outside India ? Also, its just a fancy hatch, what is there in it that someone would dole out 22L for it ? If the Optra SRV (does look neat - not comparing it to Bravo, just an example) at some 7-8lacs does not find any takers, I am not sure what kind of sales these guys are expecting.

Quote:
but please remember these cars are not for common mass,
Well, let them first try to get the common mass to go for their easily-priced cars.

Quote:
it is primarily to showcase Fiat's prowess in making Cars
Hmm. And how would they do that ? By having these machines just stand in the showroom, because they priced it too high ? They could instead have electronic displays in the showrooms, showing off their prowess.

Quote:
there will be a few who don't mind throwing money to own these beauties!
Ofcourse. There will be a few guys who might buy it just for exclusivity, but to be catering to a niche premium market, we are not talking the Rolls Royce here, are we ?
Old 11th April 2008, 22:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

I agree with all the points that supremeBaleno has put up. No matter whether its a CKD or a CBU, putting up a car at 22L does never make any sense. At times I wonder who are the ppl who strategise such moves. And anyone who has "money to throw", would not mind throwing a couple of lakhs more and get the Merc or the Audi.
Old 11th April 2008, 22:29   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Punto is sure the next launch,
Ram
I am really looking forward to that. Any Clue when this will actually happen ? I'd love to see a scoop on it someday, by whoever gets to own it first
Old 12th April 2008, 11:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

We have been told that we will get the fully loaded 1.9L JTD 150bhp Bravo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Just for info sake, for how much (rupee equivalent) does this sell outside India?
Bravo 1.9L JTD 150bhp Sport = GBP 16,355 On Road UK = Approx 12.30 Lakhs.

Quote:
Also, its just a fancy hatch, what is there in it that someone would dole out 22L for it ? If the Optra SRV (does look neat - not comparing it to Bravo, just an example) at some 7-8lacs does not find any takers,
This fancy hatch will give you following standard features which the Optra SRV and many D segment Rs.15 lakhs cars don't give you.

A sample of a few:

Blue&Me (Bluetooth+USB) : Not sure if Blue&Me will work here though.
Steering wheel controls for Blue&me and Radio/CD.
Height and Reach adjust steering. (does the SRV have it?)
Cruise Control.
ABS+EBD
6 Airbags (Not sure how many Rs.15 lakh cars sporting the H logo give you 6 airbags). SRV gives you only one for the Driver!
17" Alloys (maybe 16" ones for India).
Extremely hot looks and an engine that will put 20 lac rupee cars to shame (Skoda Laura)

Source is from Fiat's UK website.

Quote:
I am not sure what kind of sales these guys are expecting.
Not too many. At least this time Fiat have their heads on their shoulders.

Quote:
Well, let them first try to get the common mass to go for their easily-priced cars.
Those are coming too.

Quote:
Hmm. And how would they do that ? By having these machines just stand in the showroom, because they priced it too high ? They could instead have electronic displays in the showrooms, showing off their prowess.
Yes that would be cheaper and a better option but human beings are not a race that understands subtelity. Thats one reason why car makers give you leather interiors or climate control but no ABS and Airbags. I had the idea of having a touch screen kiosk installed in Fiat dealerships to show off their euro range of cars long back. Even sent a email to Fiat about it but then we all know how receptive Fiat is. Heck, even a well publicised road show with a couple of Ferrari's, Alfa Romeo's, Bravo's, GP's and 500's would be better IMO. In fact, I even emailed to them that they should put up their F-1 Ferrari on display in showrooms across the country. That would grab more attention and eye ***** then Bravo's and 500's but then I am sure Fiat had their reasons not to listen to my suggestions.

Fiat's challenge would be to have spares readily avaliable for the Bravo. They can't keep a 5 lac rupee car customer satisfied, how the hell will they keep a 20 lac rupee customer satisfied?!

To be honest, Yes, even I feel the Bravo is over priced. They should have gone in for SKD's here. At about Rs.12-15 lacs it would be at a correct price point.

BUT, we are forgetting one thing. Why did Fiat and Tata come out with the CBU Bravo and 500? The job of these cars is to spruce up Fiat's image in India before the GP and Linea come in. Today, Fiat = Palio in India. Fiat needs to push the 'super flop Palio maker' image out of the car buyers mind. Fiat probably suspects that the average Indian car buyer wouldn't give the GP and Linea a chance simply because they are cars that the 'Palio maker is making'. Yes, we all know that Fiat needs to improve service etc etc but thats something that takes a very long time to do and Fiat doesn't have the time. If they decide to go in for the long route and launch the GP and Linea in 2010 with good after sales service in place then we will crib that the cars are already outdated!

Yes, even with the 500 and Bravo, the GP will never remotely challenge the almost 10K per month sales of the Swift even though it will easily be a far superior car.

Last edited by amit : 12th April 2008 at 11:42.
Old 19th April 2008, 00:09   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just for info sake, for how much (rupee equivalent) does this sell outside India ? Also, its just a fancy hatch, what is there in it that someone would dole out 22L for it ? If the Optra SRV (does look neat - not comparing it to Bravo, just an example) at some 7-8lacs does not find any takers, I am not sure what kind of sales these guys are expecting.

Ofcourse. There will be a few guys who might buy it just for exclusivity, but to be catering to a niche premium market, we are not talking the Rolls Royce here, are we ?
Exactly the same thoughts ran through my mind when I came to know the Bravo's price.
P.S.: India might be shining with various exotics landing on our shores every 3-4 weeks, but I doubt whether Indians have come of age to buy a hatch which is priced over Rs.20lakh...a step that fiat has taken light years prior to the car looking like a car meant for the Indian market (with all those features). Hope it does not end up becoming a four wheel version of the Yamaha RD350 which is appreciated and purchased more than ever today after production stopped about 20 years ago.
Please don't forget that even the Mercedes C-class(W203) which was priced between Rs.20-30lakh was said to be overpriced...it was a luxury sedan and not a hatchback unlike the Bravo and Mercedes enjoys a great brand image the world over and everyone is aware of Fiat's brand image in India.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 19th April 2008 at 00:13.
Old 21st April 2008, 17:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

If its 22 Lakhs, I know I can buy the latest Toyota Camry for that much amount. And I know that Camry offers quite a few things.
The Bravo could be for the enthusiasts for whom the Ride and the Driving pleasure is VFM above everyrthing else.

It would be like a palio 1.6 in the 4-5 lakh segment, the one for the enthusiasts in the luxury segment.

Even a sales estimate of 500 per YEAR would be a little high for Bravo at a price tag of 22 Lakhs.

But we never know.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st April 2008 at 17:49.
Old 21st April 2008, 19:53   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
Fiat india already mentioned in news if i am right Bravo and fiat 500 sell as CBU and it will be 20 and 12 lakhs respectively.They are not looking for volume.
20 lakhs for a Fiat? Typical style of the country that is famous for pizza, Mafia, Fiat, and lately Bruni (?). Fiat would have to hire its domestic Sicilian Mafiosi to force people to buy with a gun placed to their heads. When has any `Fiat' sold at Rs. 20 lakhs or even its equivalent. For that price, normally we can get 6-7 new Fiats or 30-40 old Palios.
Old 21st April 2008, 19:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Must be something wrong with Fiat's press release/media reports. Perhaps Rs. 22 lakhs is Fiat's target for Bravo's sales in year.
Old 21st April 2008, 22:52   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
20 lakhs for a Fiat? Typical style of the country that is famous for pizza, Mafia, Fiat, and lately Bruni (?). Fiat would have to hire its domestic Sicilian Mafiosi to force people to buy with a gun placed to their heads. When has any `Fiat' sold at Rs. 20 lakhs or even its equivalent. For that price, normally we can get 6-7 new Fiats or 30-40 old Palios.
You are right!
Sometimes even car manufacturers go grazy, and make jokes a lot with thier market study and products.
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:17   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnujJain View Post
I am really looking forward to that. Any Clue when this will actually happen ? I'd love to see a scoop on it someday, by whoever gets to own it first
I just heard from somebody that the Linea is expected by last quarter of the year 2008 and GP will follow in couple of months.

Personally I feel, both would launch sometime in early 2009.

Quote:
FIAT is not a premium brand then why would somebody pay such a huge amount for Bravo. On the otherside FIAT 500 could be a collectors car and there could be people paying even 15L for it.

Last edited by Amartya : 26th December 2010 at 00:05. Reason: Based on member request.
Old 22nd April 2008, 17:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
When has any `Fiat' sold at Rs. 20 lakhs or even its equivalent. For that price, normally we can get 6-7 new Fiats or 30-40 old Palios.
When Sienna was launched some 7-8 years back at the tag of 7-8 lakhs, there were not many car takers within that range. it was a lot of money in those days, when Merc C-Class would have been around 18-20Lakhs (I am not sure though). Now it is in 30's.
But it still sold in good volumes initially. Only the popular A.S.S. made them a failure.

So we never know how many takers there will be.

But the price seems a little high no doubt.
It would be wiser to wait for an official announcement on the price, as there may be many rumors on the price factor of a car to be launched.
Old 29th April 2008, 11:57   #60
Senior - BHPian

This seriously is a big joke! A Co. which has failed in India is trying to revive itself in Indian.....Indian markets by offering Hatchbacks at exorbitant prices!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks