Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:58   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
I'm a little confused with the objective of this thread.
The objective of this thread is simple, understand the "Should you get rid of your car" situations, and help those people who are actually facing it.

However you can always keep your car in whatever condition. yet we can talk about logical end to part your ways.
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:03   #47
BHPian

hmmm...nice thread.

I have an Indica V2 , gonna be 3yrs old very soon.

I have plans to sell it and buy another small car (I don't like sedans :( )

Is this the right time ? Coz Vista is launched , I'm bit confused.

Or I may keep the car for another year or so and sell it when Maruti launches A-star or any other good small car.
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion if one has diesel car best time to sell it is around 3-4 years after purchase, after this time the cars will start giving small problems. For petrol car the same or may be another year but thats it.After this the car depreciates like a falling brick and I do not mean the calculated value on insurance and stuff, but in the second hand market [if it has not done that in the first place]. This is all the math.
Other situation is when there a new car in the market and you want one so bad that you can kill for it.
The company is offering good resale on your car for exchange for the new kid on the block that you wanted.
But I do not fit in any of this.I like cars so much that I am keeping all my old cars and buying new once..I have a big parking space.

Last edited by dinar : 22nd September 2008 at 21:40.
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:55   #49
Senior - BHPian

I have a Feista Diesel which is gonna be 2 yrs old in Novemeber and i have already started thinking of selling it. It not that its giving me any problem, i think its a fantastic car, but i generally like to change my cars in 2-3 yrs time.
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

I think there is one more thread with the same words but a different sentence. Do the proper search and you may find it. This has already been discussed.
Old 22nd September 2008, 22:36   #51
BHPian

Change in the need and the traffic condition.
Older technology.

Eg: We had MnM jeep with a Peugot engine.
But was quite strenuous to drive and a pain to park.
Also diesel eng had a huge maintain issue.
There was a need for better n "luxurious" ride.

So sold the jeep and bought Amby.

Again Amby was pain to drive (after 4 years or so) and so sold that bought 2nd hand M800.

(Above are dad's decision.)

Currently have 2nd hand M800 and 2nd hand OHC (OHC is my decision).

Cannot sell M800 since wont get anything for it.

PS: Should start a corollary thread of why you are sticking with your car - though you would have advised your friends to sell if they had owned it.
Old 22nd September 2008, 23:09   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva_cool87 View Post
hmmm...nice thread.

I have an Indica V2 , gonna be 3yrs old very soon.

I have plans to sell it and buy another small car (I don't like sedans :( )

Is this the right time ? Coz Vista is launched , I'm bit confused.

Or I may keep the car for another year or so and sell it when Maruti launches A-star or any other good small car.
In my opinion you can still continue to use your Indica for a while, as Vista is already launched, and whatever damage to your v2 it could do is already done.

However Vista is totally different car, and your V2 would still fetch good money for you as there are many taxi buyers for this (dont Mind).

Meanwhile you can wait further Grand Punto.
Old 22nd September 2008, 23:26   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
In my opinion you can still continue to use your Indica for a while, as Vista is already launched, and whatever damage to your v2 it could do is already done.

However Vista is totally different car, and your V2 would still fetch good money for you as there are many taxi buyers for this (dont Mind).

Meanwhile you can wait further Grand Punto.
Totally agree. But mine is a Petrol version and I bet taxi buyers don't like this ! I always wanted to buy Punto since the day I saw the Pic
Old 22nd September 2008, 23:30   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

As with any other purchase, you get rid of the car the moment that mental disconnect happens for various reasons.
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

My SIERRA is coming up to 15 years. In December 2009 it'll be 15 years old and I'm planning to part ways with it. Will sell if off at a throw away price to an enthusiast, or gift it away to a relative.

I've been steadily growing for the past few years.
Earlier, I used to own a 15+ year Padmini, from there on graduated to a 10 year old Sierra. I'm aiming next for a 5 year old Safari. Can buy a new car, but rather be like the tortoise and go slow and steady. 10 years from now, I would be buying a NEW
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:50   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
My SIERRA is coming up to 15 years. In December 2009 it'll be 15 years old and I'm planning to part ways with it. Will sell if off at a throw away price to an enthusiast, or gift it away to a relative.

Earlier, I used to own a 15+ year Padmini, from there on graduated to a 10 year old Sierra. I'm aiming next for a 5 year old Safari. Can buy a new car, but rather be like the tortoise and go slow and steady. 10 years from now, I would be buying a NEW

This is a very realistic scenario, you should get rid of your car now
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:58   #57
BHPian

I sold my Sierra in 2004 and am yet to find a car that will give me a ride as decent as that !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post

Old 23rd September 2008, 13:07   #58
BHPian

I guess I'm one of the rare types, I like to keep my cars till they fall apart! With regular maintenance that would rarely happen unless you happen to crash !
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:23   #59
BHPian

My personal opinion, I would like to change the car for the following reasons:

1. There is a genuine need for a newer car
2. Cost of maintenance is shooting through the roof and sourcing the spares is getting quite difficult
3. My dream car is available in the local market and at affordable price.
4. Last option, just got sick of the existing car and hence need a change.
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
My personal opinion, I would like to change the car for the following reasons:

1. There is a genuine need for a newer car
2. Cost of maintenance is shooting through the roof and sourcing the spares is getting quite difficult
3. My dream car is available in the local market and at affordable price.
4. Last option, just got sick of the existing car and hence need a change.
I would like to add few more

1) Even though the existing car is good, you want to have that desired car that you have dreamt off during childhood days.
2) If the car has met with a major accident and then it is repaired and you do not want to keep it any further.
3) Your family members is pestering you to buy that small car instead of this big car for better FE.

etc etc etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks