Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2005, 12:37   #76
Senior - BHPian

Kbk - whats the report on ur car after the 98 octane ???

and yeah fellas here is some bad news -

Reliance 98 octane petrol has become a full 2 Rs dearer - now it sells for Rs 49.45 in lieu of Rs 47.45 earlier

cheers
Old 6th March 2005, 16:54   #77
Senior - BHPian

Well, sorry but I have not had a chance to drive my Mondeo AT ALL after I gassed-up with the Reliance 98 Octane. I will post my thoughts once I do.

Somehow, I'm not surprised the price went up! That was inevitable, considering the Rs. 55/- that Speed 97 is selling at, Reliance is still offering this fuel at a 10% + savings.
Old 8th March 2005, 16:25   #78
Awaiting Email Confirmation

im glad that reliance has done this the only problem being goin there from time to time...
Old 9th March 2005, 00:40   #79
Senior - BHPian

Octane Rating & Performance

Guys

My 2 cents on this debate...

We get both 95 and 98 Octane in the UAE, and then something thats called 'Regular' which is allegedly 93 octane.

I've used all three on my Mondy (2 litre, 2004) and quite frankly other than some smoothness at idle speed I did not notice any major difference in performance between 95/98 Oct. I dont use Regular much, but when I did I hadnt noticed any reduction in performance (but in smoothness, YES).

I use 98 Oct on my Smart Brabus because that is 'recommended' on the manual (95 Octane or higher). There is a marked difference when I go down the Octane ladder on this particular car, but then its a 600 cc Turbo engine and therefore every bit of performance counts (its no slouch, mind you - its given larger 1.6 litre cars many a scare !!!).

They still havent invented fuel of the rating required to smoothen that horrible engine on my Terrano, though...

So I would imagine that going up the Octane ladder isnt particularly helpful unless your engine has been tweaked for it. Its good marketing and helps the Gas Cos make more money, though...

Back home I'd prefer it if they could sell unadultrated stuff - I'm okay by paying a slight premium for clean fuel, rather than for loaded fuel... Pure for Sure seems to be a huge gimmick with every other BP pump displaying the signage now. As my wife says, it is sure to leave you Poor for Sure!

Cheers

Steer
Old 9th March 2005, 03:12   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I'd prefer it if they could sell unadultrated stuff
So true! :

Blah blah blah (Message too short!)
Old 9th March 2005, 04:27   #81
BHPian

well a bit off topic, but can anyone tell me which fuel should i use to get the best FE out of my zen? (99vx). i fill the regular unleaded from BP. shall i start going for speed 93? any engine tweaks?
~cheers
Old 9th March 2005, 04:45   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerno1
well a bit off topic, but can anyone tell me which fuel should i use to get the best FE out of my zen? (99vx). i fill the regular unleaded from BP. shall i start going for speed 93? any engine tweaks?
~cheers
no you have to swap to B Zen !!!!!!!!
This might be wayyyyyy off topic. You still couldnt find out the problemo in your zen! then B is nirvana.
Old 9th March 2005, 10:34   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
sure to leave you Poor for Sure!
that was funny !!
Old 28th August 2005, 16:36   #84
Senior - BHPian

Reliance doesn't sell that 98 octane petrol at the Kopar Khairane pump any more. I went there in mid-July on my way to Pune and had to gas-up with some regular unleaded!

Tsk. Not enough demand I guess. Too bad!

Most Viewed