Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2005, 14:02   #1
BHPian

How Ford/Flair hijacked Fiat/Petra?

This friend of mine was kind of decided on buying an Ikon Flair based on general impression. Being a Petra owner (and Team-BHP educated ), I did a factual campaign for Petra and he agreed to look at Petra as well. He was generally impressed by my Petra(except for the looks of the boot), and within next few days started negotiating( ) with Sundaram Motors(only dealer here in Bangalore). Meanwhile he was talking to Ford dealers as well.
Along with few other friends we test drove Flair (Cauvery Ford) as well as Petra.
These were few general observations:
Petra's road visibility is poor (this vehicle had an abnormally lower driver’s seat) compared to Flair while gearshift in Flair is horrible. Flair was producing good amount of noise inside and ride was not smooth. Both dealers attributed their problems to test vehicle being old and badly used. Any way, overall verdict was favoring Petra.
But come next day, Ford is ready with a brand new vehicle for test drive which my friend tried again. It was quite ok compared to earlier one. And they were ready to waive off insurance, offered some goodwill reduction and usual accessories. So effective price of Flair with MP3 music system, Autocop, Foglamps, Leather seats and other regular accessories was coming only around 5.5 lacs.
Mean while, Petra became dearer by around 11,000 for the Yr 2005 model and Fiat started offering a music system along with the 2004 model. My friend wanted black colour which was not available in 2004 model. Again Sundaram wouldn't give any thing other than their regular offer of Rs.5000 worth accessories with 2005 model.
So eventually my friend surrendered to the professionalism and aggressive marketing of Ford dealer. He is going to get his Flair in next few days. I am not happy with his decision, but cannot blame him since he has just acted like any other practical person!
Old 20th January 2005, 14:07   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Moved to "Indian Car Scene"

GTO
Old 20th January 2005, 15:13   #3
BHPian

Note from Moderator - If you have an informative and intelligent comment please do not refrain from making it. However, please refrain from displaying a triplecate of emoticons and nothing else.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd January 2005 at 03:35.
Old 20th January 2005, 16:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

If you think thats bad, Ford has taken over Mumbai's best known Fiat dealership - Shamman Auto! talk about hijacking, forget the cars, Ford is pulling them out from their roots!
Old 20th January 2005, 18:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech
If you think thats bad, Ford has taken over Mumbai's best known Fiat dealership - Shamman Auto! !
I differ on this... calling Shamman Auto the best Fiat dealer....

I had to cancel my Palio on account of their false promises over delivery dates,
during booking they confirmed 3 Red Sports in its inventory, 2 days later call saying all are sold.. cannot deliver by my required date...
Old 20th January 2005, 19:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas
Mean while, Petra became dearer by around 11,000 for the Yr 2005 model and Fiat started offering a music system along with the 2004 model. My friend wanted black colour which was not available in 2004 model. Again Sundaram wouldn't give any thing other than their regular offer of Rs.5000 worth accessories with 2005 model.
What was the final prize of 2005 petra??
Old 20th January 2005, 19:05   #7
BHPian

It is around 5.67 now.
Old 20th January 2005, 19:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

damn ..
i really feel sorry foir your friend ...
5.67 on road right
the petra is a really lovely car and the ikon flair just isnt all that good .
i think fiat in bangy needs a lesson in marketing ...
the ones in bombay are quite good - shaman was good then there was angad .. forgetting the name of trhe best one however
Old 20th January 2005, 20:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

curse man, thats bad. How could Fiat select ALL its dealers wrong? Or do all the dealers have some grudge against Fiat?
Old 20th January 2005, 20:35   #10
BHPian

ex-showroom price of flair 5.05. Add 50k for road tax. All others have been given away as free. That’s pretty aggressive. Are you sure ur friend got 2005 model?? Also even flair doesn’t have a black color. Except for the aniv edition. One of my friend got even a 6 cd changer for 1/2 the cost. But later he came to know that they are smuggled goods, don’t know what diff it will make.

TVS sundaram is bit stiff. I had to pay the entire amount before they sent the car for registration. And that too in cash, a cheque means a 3 day delay. Where as when my friend brought the flair, he has just landed in bangalore. No address to his name. The dealer had just had loan cheque in hand. Even my friend was not in town. They completed all formalities of registration etc and the car was ready for delivery. Hhhmmm... never expect this from tvs.

Any way if he has gone to flair for that 17k diff, i think he has made a mistake.
Old 20th January 2005, 22:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
TVS sundaram is bit stiff. I had to pay the entire amount before they sent the car for registration. And that too in cash, a cheque means a 3 day delay.
TVS is not stiff. They're stupid. They called me (during my car delivery) to say that they're not giving me the car unless they realise the cheque payment. By the way it was a banker's cheque.

I had to tell them that I'm stopping payment and sending a note from my lawyer.

It worked and how!! I get call from Sundaram on regular basis.
Old 21st January 2005, 10:08   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
TVS sundaram is bit stiff. I had to pay the entire amount before they sent the car for registration. And that too in cash, a cheque means a 3 day delay.
Umm, before I would transfer ownership to the buyer I would want the payment in my hand too.

GTO
Old 21st January 2005, 10:21   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

:
hey guys
who wouldnt want cash in their hands before they sell something off .
what do u guys do while selling off your cars
Old 21st January 2005, 10:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
who wouldnt want cash in their hands before they sell something off .
what do u guys do while selling off your cars
In my case it was a banker's cheque. This is considered to be cash.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd January 2005 at 03:38.
Old 21st January 2005, 12:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat1100D
I differ on this... calling Shamman Auto the best Fiat dealer....

I had to cancel my Palio on account of their false promises over delivery dates,
during booking they confirmed 3 Red Sports in its inventory, 2 days later call saying all are sold.. cannot deliver by my required date...
Read it again pal. Rtech calls it the best "known" dealer which is not necessarily the "best" dealer.

Revv

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks