Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2008, 19:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And to be able to continue driving your car day-in-and-day-out, A.S.S. happens to be very crucial. If you have to wait for months for a spare to come in, your car will not be driven, but just stay put in the garage.
Maybe Maruti cars are not so reliable & spares go kaput so fast, that you need ASC in every street stocked with all the spares!
Old 20th February 2008, 19:38   #47
BHPian

I got for SX4 mainly because of the A.S.S., cheap spare parts compared to Ford.
There may be some ford dealer who is doing a good job, but why take a risk. Fiesta is fun to drive, but at the same time SX4 is also good, where the difference would be marginal. Comparing the space, looks, climate control, steering controls, SX4 wins. I got a 13 km in city with 100% AC, so it is also fuel efficient.
Old 20th February 2008, 19:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

I am a proud owner of a Fiesta 1.6 sxi since March, 2007. I have no regrets about not waiting for a couple of months more for an SX4.
I rate Fiesta better because of:-
1. More fun to drive due to better handling and acceleration.
2.Better looks (I hate the fat Sumo wrestler look of the SX4).
3.Better visibility---both front and rear, as there is no thick A pillar or raised boot
4. Much better sounding 6 cd player
5. Can seat 3 people in the rear better than an sX4
6.Better gear shift.
7. No niggling problems like gear vibration in 3rd gear, bad clutch, road noise,wheel alignment, etc.
8 Minimal body roll.
9. Better FE
10 Better plastics

Only points where the sx4 scores is the integrated audio controls and better GC. I don't think climate control is a big deal.
Nonetheless, the audio system in the sx4 is lousy,but at least it plays mp3, unlike the Ford.And though the GC in the Fiesta is lower, I have never faced an issue with speed-breakers in Hyd.
This apart, I rate Ford service by Mody Ford in Hyd at par with Maruti Service by Varun Motors.

Last edited by vnabhi : 20th February 2008 at 19:41. Reason: missed a point
Old 20th February 2008, 19:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I am a proud owner of a Fiesta 1.6 sxi since March, 2007. I have no regrets about not waiting for a couple of months more for an SX4.
I rate Fiesta better because of:-
1. More fun to drive due to better handling and acceleration.
2.Better looks (I hate the fat Sumo wrestler look of the SX4).
3.Better visibility---both front and rear, as there is no thick A pillar or raised boot
4. Much better sounding 6 cd player
5. Can seat 3 people in the rear better than an sX4
6.Better gear shift.
7. No niggling problems like gear vibration in 3rd gear, bad clutch, road noise,wheel alignment, etc.
8 Minimal body roll.
9. Better FE
10 Better plastics

Only points where the sx4 scores is the integrated audio controls and better GC. I don't think climate control is a big deal.
Nonetheless, the audio system in the sx4 is lousy,but at least it plays mp3, unlike the Ford.And though the GC in the Fiesta is lower, I have never faced an issue with speed-breakers in Hyd.
This apart, I rate Ford service by Mody Ford in Hyd at par with Maruti Service by Varun Motors.

I agree with you man .
Old 20th February 2008, 19:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Maybe Maruti cars are not so reliable & spares go kaput so fast, that you need ASC in every street stocked with all the spares!
LOL. I don't know why you got so specific. I did not really mean Fiat in my previous post, when I mentioned about waiting for spares for a month.

Actually, if you give it some serious thought, FIAT is not really wrong in not having more than the 5-6 service centres they have India-wide. Because if you are selling only a few hundred cars, whats the need of having a service network all over the place ?
Old 20th February 2008, 19:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Though a SX4 owner, If I have to buy NOW, I would prefer this current Fiesta 1.6 SXI over SX4 zxi since ABS+EBD, Airbags are at par now. Lookwise, both appeal to me, but Fiesta 1.6 is truly fun to drive and zippy. Talk about being connected to the car, Fiesta scores over SX4. This does not mean drivability in SX4 is bad, but just that Fiesta is a notch above. SX4 do scores over Fiesta in other departments.. so one need a lot to think before deciding between them

Last edited by iTNerd : 20th February 2008 at 19:56.
Old 20th February 2008, 19:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Though a SX4 owner, If I have to buy NOW, I would prefer this current Fiesta 1.6 SXI over SX4 zxi since ABS+EBD, Airbags are at par now. Lookwise, both appeal to me, but Fiesta 1.6 is truly fun to drive and zippy. Talk about being connected to the car, Fiesta scores over SX4. This does not mean drivibility in SX4 is bad, but just the Fiesta is a notch above. SX4 do scores over Fiesta in other departments.. so one need a lot to think before deciding between them
A small correction--ABS and EBD were there with the sxi since Mar, 07. Only driver airbag is new.
Old 20th February 2008, 20:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
A small correction--ABS and EBD were there with the sxi since Mar, 07. Only driver airbag is new.
thanks for the small correction.. must have got off my mind
Old 20th February 2008, 20:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know why you got so specific. I did not really mean Fiat in my previous post, when I mentioned about waiting for spares for a month.
Where did I mention Fiat in my post? It was about your beloved Maruti!
And why are you dragging Fiat on this Fiesta vs SX4 thread?

Quote:
Actually, if you give it some serious thought, FIAT is not really wrong in not having more than the 5-6 service centres they have India-wide.
Get your facts right! There are around 100 Fiat-Tata ASCs across India!

Last edited by finneyp : 20th February 2008 at 20:22.
Old 20th February 2008, 20:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Looks wise the Fiesta appeals to the subtle sensibilities in contrast to the SX4 which has been made to attract attention (of all kinds).

Drive wise, I have driven a Fiesta 1.6 and its simply superb, comes only second to Cedia in that department. Low speed handling, high speed handling, high speed poise, is a class of its own, people who have driven an Astra can actually vouch for it.

I havn't driven a SX4 so would not comment on that part.

Aftersales service wise, I dont think in that category of a car, there would be much difference, but the peace of mind factor of finding a service center in Ladakh tilts it towards Maruti. Generally After Sales experience is a bigger factor for the indian buyer than the product itself.
Old 20th February 2008, 22:36   #56
Team-BHP Support

Purely from a driver's point of view- it should be the fiesta over the SX4. However, as an overall package- I'd put my money on the SX4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

Well! For a company that sells around 65,000 cars a month, service stations are needed in every street. Else, you might have a waiting period to get the car serviced.

I've had a very good experience with Maruti service, over last 9 years!
Old 20th February 2008, 23:14   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Well! For a company that sells around 65,000 cars a month, service stations are needed in every street. Else, you might have a waiting period to get the car serviced.

I've had a very good experience with Maruti service, over last 9 years!
The maruti service quality has gone down over the years. Since Maruti sells so many cars, they dont have enough dealerships/time to service cars carefully. I have noticed this in my service centre. A couple of years back they will take a test-drive before and after service, check for problems and talk with customers leisurely. But now it's all done in a hurry and no time spent with customer. They look at the vehicle, do some basic checks and take complaint from you and go off.

It is becoming like tata in chennai.. Way too many cars and few dealerships and hence no time for proper serviceing.
Old 21st February 2008, 07:01   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallikarjun View Post
After the recent price correction and added standard features like ABS, airbag, indicators on ORVM, 6 CD changer, leather seat covers etc, Fiesta 1.6 SXi is more feature rich now and is cheaper than the Maruti SX4

Fiesta SXi on road in HYD now - 8.05 lakhs
Maruti SX4 Zxi on road in HYD - 8.11 lakhs

Knowing Fiesta's strengths(Exceptional handling, ride, fun to drive etc), do you guys think this will change Ford's fortunes and increase Fiesta sales? Will customers go for the trusted & proven Fiesta?

OR SX4 has what it takes to beat all other C segment cars?
Comments are welcome.....
Fiesta doesn't come with alloy wheels. So if you buy Fiesta and upgrade alloy with better tires, the onroad price will go above SX4.

SX4 come fully loaded and only thing that you might upgrade is the seat covers and speakers (if needed).

In addition to this SX4 has better GC, FE, Auto AC, Glass Antenna, Steering mounted audio controls and Passenger Airbag.

I don't understand the Ford's logic of giving Airbag only to the driver. If anyone buys the car to used with a driver, then the safety of airbag is not there for the car owner.

Since this thread is about value for money, SX4 still wins over Fiesta.
Old 21st February 2008, 09:45   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
The maruti service quality has gone down over the years...... A couple of years back they will take a test-drive before and after service, check for problems and talk with customers leisurely. But now it's all done in a hurry and no time spent with customer. They look at the vehicle, do some basic checks and take complaint from you and go off.
Well, for all the flack against Ford and its after-sales, the service advisors at my dealer actually take the car for a test drive with me along, check for problems, and address them, if any. And, its not like they arent hard pressed for time. Despite it, they still do the above.
Old 21st February 2008, 09:58   #60
BHPian

Ford Saves Life! (3 times!)

Guys:
I have a Ford 1.6 ZXI (also a Swift DDiS (ABS)) - There have been a few incidents where I'd have been severely injured or worse, but for the Ford. Ford's straight line braking (no wallowing) that too in a slippery (after rains) road is awesome!

The car doesnt lose stability even at very high speeds (steering is a tad light at higher speeds (120+)). When a moron (he'd think the same of me for driving fast! The feeling is mutual, I guess!) recently changed lanes without even indicating the lane change when I was behind him, I slammed the brakes hard - But despite excellent braking I hit the rear of the van at a very slow speed and I was deflected towards the median - I steered the vehicle back to road and was cruising seconds later towards chennai. I don't even want to think what would have happened in any other car (save much more expensive ones).

My respect for Ford and the way they implement car dynamics has gone up tremendously. In calculus, we test continuity of a function only at its limits (no point in testing at every valid point of the function) - Same way, normal features like mileage, A.S.S, looks etc are important, but I'll always say that the way the car handles in extreme situations is the most important thing.

SX4 has airbags and I have no idea how it handles in such conditions, but as a happy (and alive) Ford owner, I give two to Ford. My next car will definitely be a Ford (when is the new Mondeo coming? )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks