Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2008, 15:56   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
The reason why vnabhi said this( Can seat 3 people in the rear better than an sX4) i think is because of the lump like thing which protrudes in the middle of the back seat of the SX4 and it is really uncomfortable
Bingo!! This apart, my head almost touched the roof of the sx4. The sx4 has an illusion of more space, but practically, the Fiesta wins in this attribute.
Old 21st February 2008, 16:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Bingo!! This apart, my head almost touched the roof of the sx4. The sx4 has an illusion of more space, but practically, the Fiesta wins in this attribute.
Are you sure you meant that! Do make an earnest measurement of both cars and only then conlude, if Fiesta is more spacious then SX4. And honestly, the middle seat issue is no big deal if one put customized seat covers to balance out the lump. And I won't be surprised if you say Fiesta has more leg rooms..
Old 21st February 2008, 17:07   #78
BHPian

I would certainly choose Fiesta over sx4 and all goes to Ford benchmark in handling , ride quality..

But again never just go by sx4's looks and A.S.S , all it matters is the quality of drive you want to enjoy....

Remember both are pertol which are sure less to maintain...

I vote Feita sxi for 8lac is best bet with all top up features...
Old 21st February 2008, 17:12   #79
BHPian

To all those who recommend the Fiesta, dont you think a visual upgrade atleast is due? If it is, does it make sense to buy this version now?

It looks very dated IMO, nothing special about it. I mean - when a red Fiesta passes me on the road, I might not even notice it. I might give a glance if a red SX$ passes me.

And isnt the 1.6 litre engine the same as what was there in the 1.6 Ikon? SO engine upgrade on the cards as well??
Old 21st February 2008, 17:18   #80
Senior - BHPian

Fiesta 1.6 - a driver oriented car. The reason why I would want to go for it after owning a SX4 is purely for this reason. BUT from practical point of view, SX4 is a good compromise. SX4 is much bigger, fun to drive, fresh, good resale, gives a slightly better FE, and is loaded to the teeth - Safety features, Climatronics, iCAT & immobilizer, 16" Alloys, steering wheel controls, 505 lites boot space etc. And not to forget, the peace of mind factor, after sales service, low cost of ownership etc. Knowing Maruti, spare parts and service will be available long after it has been discontinued, something that is more prone to Ford and GM products.

Though lookwise, it may be subjective, but the design is done in such a way that, it is difficult to get pass it without noticing it, for better or worse. SX4 has its own debacle - interior plastic quality, low torque in 1st gear, high NVH, bad rear view..but these are something that can be improved to some certain extent (say, going on with better rubbers, reverse parking sensors etc.)

So, for pure driving experience, Fiesta 1.6 it is. But for a overall performance and package, nothing beats SX4 zxi.
Old 21st February 2008, 17:29   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
... who reported 10 -11 as city mileage were from cities like Delhi, travelling to Gurgaon, and qualifying such trips as 'city' drives.
When we compare the FE of same-segment cars, one main thing to be taken into consideration, is the city of use. There is no point comparing the FE of a car plying in say Blore to another one driven in Gurgaon.

I read here a Fiesta1.6 owner-review where an FE of 12kmpl in city is mentioned. But given his place of usage (somewhere outskirts of Delhi with free roads, speeds above 60kmph etc), it is effectively the highway FE. So, we can guess what the actual city FE would be like.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 21st February 2008 at 17:31.
Old 21st February 2008, 17:38   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
And isnt the 1.6 litre engine the same as what was there in the 1.6 Ikon? SO engine upgrade on the cards as well??
Not be any means, its completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
So, for pure driving experience, Fiesta 1.6 it is. But for a overall performance and package, nothing beats SX4 zxi
ITNerd, good to see you so passionate about your car. I had a few questions for you since you own the SX4 -

1) What is the FE you are getting?
2) What additional safety features does it have over the Fiesta 1.6 that is being discussed here?
3) iCAT is a nice term to use but at the end of the day, isn't it the same as the keyless entry with immobiliser? Also, the Fiesta 1.6 has a self relocking system whereby, if you unlock the car & no activity takes place in the next 20 seconds, it relocks on its own. I have it in my Fiesta, its not something that Ford has been shouting from the rooftops about but its there - and its a nice security feature too.

Yes, the SX4 has climate control & audio controls on the steering wheel - nice touches. And, as far as the great hype about the Maruti After Sales Service, well, I'm a firm believer in the fact that the A.S.S. is only as good or as bad as the dealer & NOT the company. It depends on relationships, rapport & a lot of similar stuff.

How else do you explain some of the horror stories faced with the Jap-collaboration car workshops? Or, for example, some of the love stories about the Europe & Korean collaboration ones? Purely my opinion of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I read here a Fiesta1.6 owner-review where an FE of 12kmpl in city is mentioned. But given his place of usage (somewhere outskirts of Delhi with free roads, speeds above 60kmph etc), it is effectively the highway FE. So, we can guess what the actual city FE would be like.
supremeBaleno, diplomacy was never your strong point so I'll jump in here since I guess you are referring to me. So, let me put things in context. My Fiesta still runs 110 kms a day from Gurgaon Phase V to Chanakyapuri (this, by the way, is not on the outskirts of Delhi but smack in the center). It gets approx 10-15 kms of expressway run each way, twice a day, that's about 50% free running. The rest is in city traffic conditions within Delhi & Gurgaon & the toll gate mess during the evenings. Please read the entire thread in detail before passing your learned comments.

Maybe you need to come & check out realities before taking potshots. The problem with you is - if its a Baleno or a Honda, even if someone says 21 kmpl its cool. If its a Ford, anyone saying anything above 9 kmpl must be falsifying or diluting some water.

GET REAL MAN, get a life outside the well

Last edited by suman : 21st February 2008 at 17:49.
Old 21st February 2008, 18:03   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I'm a firm believer in the fact that the A.S.S. is only as good or as bad as the dealer & NOT the company. It depends on relationships, rapport & a lot of similar stuff.
Indeed. I have always believed that some maruti vehicles earn fanaticism along with good reviews.
We have to open our minds towards non maruti vehicles - some are indeed really better than them.
Old 21st February 2008, 18:15   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ITNerd, good to see you so passionate about your car. I had a few questions for you since you own the SX4
Thank you and you are very right, very much passionate about good cars, that include the Fiesta 1.6.

Quote:
1) What is the FE you are getting?
To an approximation figure, In winter, I get around 13 kmpl or little less in Delhi and occassional suburb (Noida) visits. This is with around 40% time with AC (heater actually). Summer, it goes down to 11 kmpl or a little more with 100% AC.
Well, for me mileage is not big issue as I hardly travel 300-350 kms a month (btw, I work from home!) If it would had been, I would have bought a NHC instead!

Quote:
2) What additional safety features does it have over the Fiesta 1.6 that is being discussed here?
Passenger side airbag, Pre-tensioner belts (not sure if Fiesta 1.6 have that). Not big deal, but anyway, these seems to be missing in it!

Quote:
3) iCAT is a nice term to use but at the end of the day, isn't it the same as the keyless entry with immobiliser? Also, the Fiesta 1.6 has a self relocking system whereby, if you unlock the car & no activity takes place in the next 20 seconds, it relocks on its own. I have it in my Fiesta, its not something that Ford has been shouting from the rooftops about but its there - and its a nice security feature too.
Well, nice to know that you have it your car too. But iCAT is more than that. The engine will get immobilized if you try to start it without the proper key, This also means, even if you make a direct copy of the key, it won't start as the OEM keys have some smart tags which are matched to that of car ECM or something. This is something very nice to have too!

And yes, SX4 DO have the feature to lock the car by itself if no activity takes place within a specified period of time (or seconds whatever).

Quote:
Yes, the SX4 has climate control & audio controls on the steering wheel - nice touches. And, as far as the great hype about the Maruti After Sales Service, well, I'm a firm believer in the fact that the A.S.S. is only as good or as bad as the dealer & NOT the company. It depends on relationships, rapport & a lot of similar stuff.
Very true. honestly, I don't take too much thoughts on A.S.S. Modern cars are quite reliable and except for the periodical servicing, A.S.S does not come into play that much provided it is driven sanely and maintained properly.

But it is nice to get technicians/assistance right in front of my house when I complain about small issues in my car. By small issues, I mean, no proper wash, grease in the wheel arc during servicing etc. This small gestures are very satisfying and instill the confidence in their hands. Sometime, I had to be rude, just because their frequent feedback calls disturb me.

Quote:
How else do you explain some of the horror stories faced with the Jap-collaboration car workshops? Or, for example, some of the love stories about the Europe & Korean collaboration ones? Purely my opinion of course..
Not sure what context you are trying to extend here. will appreciate more inputs.

Last edited by iTNerd : 21st February 2008 at 18:23.
Old 21st February 2008, 18:18   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I agree with you on the point that A.S.S. is only as good as the dealer. However, the supervision of the dealers by the manufacturer also makes a difference.

The problem with Ford in Mumbai is that only one of their dealer's (the one in Malad - I'm forgetting his name) is good from a service point of view (at least in the suburbs). I don't own a Ford and am basing this on feedback from my friend, who's been running an Ikon in Mumbai for the last two years, and from my Father in Law to be, who had an Ikon for seven years. This feedback was enough for me to not even consider a Ford vehicle when I was looking for a car - a sentiment other potential car buyers might also share. I don't think this situation would have been possible unless Ford itself is less focused on A.S.S than other manufacturers. The criticism on poor service seems to be the most widespread for Ford.

I dont contest that Ford makes some very good cars (everyone I know who owns a Ford is pretty happy with it). However, the reputation a manufacturer has for service is equally important for some people. For me personally, the thought of having to make sure the dealer is not trying to fleece me in service was too much to deal with.

Last edited by jaibir : 21st February 2008 at 18:26.
Old 21st February 2008, 18:23   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd
And yes, SX4 DO have the feature to lock the car by itself if no activity takes place within a specified period of time (or seconds whatever).
I am not very sure, but I think this is something to do with the remote locking system and so available on any car that uses the system.

For eg. our Swift also has this, though I think it is 30secs of inactivity - maybe duration is programmable. Though I do wish it had iCAT - we bought it just before they introduced the feature.
Old 21st February 2008, 18:27   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Passenger side airbag, Pre-tensioner belts (not sure if Fiesta 1.6 have that). Not big deal, but anyway, these seems to be missing in it!
The pretensioner belts are there in the Fiesta, the passenger side airbag is not
Quote:
Well, nice to know that you have it your car too. But iCAT is more than that. The engine will get immobilized if you try to start it without the proper key, This also means, even if you make a direct copy of the key, it won't start as the OEM keys have some smart tags which are matched to that of car ECM or something. This is something very nice to have too!
Doesn't the immobiliser feature itself signify that you cannot attempt to start the car with an alien key? The immobilisation takes place at that point itself
Quote:
But it is nice to get technicians/assistance right in front of my house when I complain about small issues in my car. By small issues, I mean, no proper wash, grease in the wheel arc during servicing etc. This small gestures are very satisfying and instill the confidence in their hands. Sometime, I had to be rude, just because their frequent feedback calls disturb me.
I agree but then again, it does arise out of the relationship that you develop with your service center & I think they also realize whose a finicky customer & who isn't & adjust to a certain extent. In both my current workshops, I have had one run-in that has involved my sounding off to them & thereafter things have been very very smooth

Quote:
Not sure what context you are trying to extend here. will appreciate more inputs.
I'm saying that there are members who have had bad experiences with Maruti & Honda workshops and there are members who have had good experiences with Ford, Hyundai & Tata - so, again, it comes back to relationships and how good or bad that particular dealer is. Unfortunately, a large percentage of our mates on this forum love to generalize about "good" Maruti A.S.S & "lousy" Ford A.S.S. These days I try not to comment but sometimes I can't resist
Old 21st February 2008, 18:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I am not very sure, but I think this is something to do with the remote locking system and so available on any car that uses the system.
My Safari has keyless entry but it doesn't relock; however, it does immobilise the engine if no subsequent activity is detected within a time period. So I don't think it is there on all remote locking systems
Old 21st February 2008, 18:43   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't the immobiliser feature itself signify that you cannot attempt to start the car with an alien key? The immobilisation takes place at that point itself
Good to know you are upto date!

Quote:
I agree but then again, it does arise out of the relationship that you develop with your service center & I think they also realize whose a finicky customer & who isn't & adjust to a certain extent. In both my current workshops, I have had one run-in that has involved my sounding off to them & thereafter things have been very very smooth
Yes, I am sure it does. In my dealing with both MSM and RANA motors (from whom I bought the car), both have been very satisfactory and I seldom had to alternate visits to these workshops. In fact, both the workshops are in the same lane (just 100 meters apart).

Quote:
I'm saying that there are members who have had bad experiences with Maruti & Honda workshops and there are members who have had good experiences with Ford, Hyundai & Tata - so, again, it comes back to relationships and how good or bad that particular dealer is. Unfortunately, a large percentage of our mates on this forum love to generalize about "good" Maruti A.S.S & "lousy" Ford A.S.S. These days I try not to comment but sometimes I can't resist
Its no brainer.. the sheer number of Maurit owners, service centres etc, will naturely contribute louder voice leading to characerization of Maruti A.S.S being on stars. I am sure if Ford had been No. 1 seller and have that much service centres, it would have the same "good" knighthood.
Old 21st February 2008, 19:11   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to know you are upto date!
Well, if my logic is correct, the Fiesta has exactly the same feature, only thing is that they mention it as the immobiliser, the concept & operation seems to be the same. Actually, the Safari has something similar & they give an additional programming unit as well IIRC - I've never looked at it though & it remains tucked away in one of the drawers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks