Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2008, 20:41   #1
BANNED

Saw a covered vehicle (SUV)

I saw an covered vehicle today, i was on way from tirupur to coimbatore, opposite side there was an SUV , fully covered with rexin, (C pillar and afterwards looked like pajero, ) macho muscled wheel arches. since there was fourway expressway work is going on, the road was narrow and couldnt stop there and take a snap or couldnt follow that vehicle, since traffic was heavy so that i could not turn mine on opposite side.

but there was an Tata Ace (passenger series with tarpaulin vehicle with temp registration was following it after a gap of 2 cars) so i suspect that must be Tata sumo grande, but Why they still close the vehicle even after introducing it in auto expo?

Or it may be mahindra ingenio?? i was unlucky to have a close and good vision of that. just 4-10 secs i saw, that too accidentally. If any members from coimbatore area has seen that. please throw some light on it.
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yup, I think its the Mahindra too. Some other BHPians have also reported seeing disguised Mahindra UVs on the highway. The presence of the Tata Ace could have been coincidental.
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
I saw an covered vehicle today, i was on way from tirupur to coimbatore, opposite side there was an SUV , fully covered with rexin, (C pillar and afterwards looked like pajero, ) macho muscled wheel arches. since there was fourway expressway work is going on, the road was narrow and couldnt stop there and take a snap or couldnt follow that vehicle, since traffic was heavy so that i could not turn mine on opposite side.

but there was an Tata Ace (passenger series with tarpaulin vehicle with temp registration was following it after a gap of 2 cars) so i suspect that must be Tata sumo grande, but Why they still close the vehicle even after introducing it in auto expo?

Or it may be mahindra ingenio?? i was unlucky to have a close and good vision of that. just 4-10 secs i saw, that too accidentally. If any members from coimbatore area has seen that. please throw some light on it.

I also saw the same vehicle last month , when i was travelling in Coimbatore- Tirupur road. It was the Tata Sumo Grande. I was driving right next to that vehicle. But after sometime I lost track of it. Since i was little
close to that car i realised it was the Sumo Grande. It was fully covered. even i was suprised why it was fully covered when everyone has seen it .
But wonder why they testing in it in the Coimbatore- Tirupur highway!!
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

GTO and others, a bherry dumb koshun - WHY does the mfr send the cars ALL over the country like that? I recall seeing a tata mjd (later seen during expo) completely covered and in BIKANER. What's the utlity, can someone educate me?
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

i believe sx4 was also brought to coimbatore like that in a fully covered condition.that was for the pre launch training for ceo,gm and sm.swift dzire was also brought like that.the manufacturers wont want to disturb the sales of their existing models which are similar to the new ones.if some one confirms it as sumo grande ,sumo sales as well as the safari sales for the month would be low.maybe thats the reason.even if a model is displayed at auto show doesnt give you the idea of the launch date.
ram
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:17   #6
Ram
Senior - BHPian

@rajivanoj, @karanraheja and @phamilyman:
if you're willing to suffer my long answer...

Motor vehicle designs have a rather long gestation period, before they are "introduced" in the market.

The world of motor vehicle design is typically beset with oodles of design compromises -- often due to various reasons...
  • pricing pressures,
  • time-to-market pressures,
  • flaky market survey,
  • weak competition,
  • unreal expectations of fuel efficiency,
  • even just third-rate designers...
Sometimes, media promotion firms need time to do some spin-doctoring, and hire props like the Khans and Bachchans of the world to do some "positioning" and perception-engineering.

...their timing can go haywire, if the vehicle is exposed and photographed and videographed in and out, by zealous professional or amateur automobile reporters and spy photographers from print automags and online forums.

Unfortunately (for the manufacturers) in this connected world of digital cameras, camera phones, flickr, youtube and Web2.0 forums, a few quick sour review comments by trusted people, can send public perception about the new vehicle, heading south, even before the first batch has been sold out.

This is especially more so, when supported by photographs and videos.

That is why you see these automotive embryos hiding in their camouflaged, tarp-covered coccoons...

Ram
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
i believe sx4 was also brought to coimbatore like that in a fully covered condition.that was for the pre launch training for ceo,gm and sm.swift dzire was also brought like that.the manufacturers wont want to disturb the sales of their existing models which are similar to the new ones.if some one confirms it as sumo grande ,sumo sales as well as the safari sales for the month would be low.maybe thats the reason.even if a model is displayed at auto show doesnt give you the idea of the launch date.
ram
@Ram - Please do not get Grande in the way of Safari, Safari rules and will be ruling without any obstruction from any vehicle.

Safari - The King is kicking up the sales.
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
That is why you see these automotive embryos hiding in their camouflaged, tarp-covered coccoons...

Ram
agreed, nice perspective, but why cart the darned thing all over the country ?

Bikaner is a long way from Pune for TELCO!!
Old 22nd February 2008, 19:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

To all coimbatore guys who are wondering why TATA cars are being tested in the NH47 National Highway. I am from Komarapalayam (near Erode) . I travel to udumalpet several times and i have seen Tata Indica, Safari , Indigo XL being tested on the roads from Kangeyam to Dharapuram (they have red white number plates). Once i stopped a car and asked about them and they said they test the TATA cars here. So they would have been testing the Sumo Grande too..If you want to see the cars try the routes of Kangeyam to Dharapuram during the day time and i am sure you will spot a TATA car being test driven .
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:08   #10
BHPian

Hi guys,
The reason you all see TATA cars tested in and around coimbatore is because J Anand runs a huge R&D set up for tata.
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:15   #11
BANNED

I think Tata motors think that tamil nadu, especially tirupur, coimbatore, kangeyam, dharapuram roads are bad and best roads to test its build quality
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
agreed, nice perspective, but why cart the darned thing all over the country ?

Bikaner is a long way from Pune for TELCO!!
Because it would sold in both Bikaner (rajastan?) and bidar (Karnataka) and both these places have different weather and terrain. Manufacturers usually test the vehicle in all the areas/weather/terrain it will be potentially sold.

Ex: The new Merc C-class was tested in both extreme cold conditions of Scandinavian countries and hot climate conditions of Death valley, NA. Then before the launch in US, they tested it in almost every state. People spotted test mules in Ca, Mn, NY etc.
Old 23rd February 2008, 00:48   #13

I suspect that TATAs might another dicor version of the sumo which would be in-between the victa DIs and Sumo Grande which would eventually phase out Victa DI.

As a business analyst, I can easily say that TATA sumo Grande cannot phase out Victa DI because of the pricing and Victa DI segment cannot be discontinued as it would increase the brand value of the Mahindra Bolero

It might probably have a refined version of the 3.0 L Dicor engine with DOHC replacing the current push-rod CAM arrangement.

With this armour, TATAs will probably lead the MUV sector for subsequent 5 years from November 2008.

Laxmanmurthy Ganesh
Old 17th March 2008, 18:49   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guess what I saw on the expressway last saturday. The optimistic driver tried to outrun the C220.
Attached Thumbnails
Saw a covered vehicle (SUV)-dsc00069.jpg  

Saw a covered vehicle (SUV)-dsc00072.jpg  

Saw a covered vehicle (SUV)-dsc00073.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 17th March 2008, 18:55   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw this on the expressway too , about a month back.

And that time too the optimistic driver tried to outrun the 525d

The grill makes it evident that its a Mahindra. It seems like it has adequate power as I over took him at 150+

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks