Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2008, 19:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

This looks more like a Estilo replacement then anything else. Also Maruti has no current plans to launch the Cervo. Their next launch is going to be the Dezire and then the Splash, followed by A Star and then SX4 Diesel.
Old 23rd February 2008, 19:59   #17
BHPian

Brilliant car. Great design (though the bonnet is a bit i10-ish for my liking). When is it coming. My wife is regretting that we bought a Spark at home recently. Hmmph!
Old 23rd February 2008, 20:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

To me Maruti's future strategy looks like:
- A: 800 & Alto (Maruti'll need them to fight it out with the Nano and for buyers who want something more than the Nano.)
- A+: Cervo & A-Star (To stop Maruti buyers from going elsewhere, to the likes of Santro/Matiz)
- B: Estilo, Wagon R (Wagon R is doing good. I'm keeping the estilo because it's the newest of the existing hatches. And by looking at Maruti's history, they don't let go any model so easily.)
- B+: Swift (selling like hotcakes, they don't have to worry here!)

Now, in my opinion, both Estilo and Wagon R should go. They are outdated models and should be replaced by the new generation i.e. Cervo/A-Star. But Maruti will want to offer a product at every price level and preference. To offer a variety of models, so that the buyer goes nowhere else.
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

was this car on display at the auto expo,then the car was on our shores for that.no other intention for the present for this car.it can never be a replacement for alto.but seeing the trend followed nowadays MSIL stoped the old zen which was low slung to bring in the tall boy estilo.so alto which is also low slung could be replaced with a high standing one, but cervo should be more costly one for sure.
ram
Old 25th February 2008, 17:58   #20
BHPian

Some say it is 800 replacement

Here
Old 25th February 2008, 19:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityakavoor View Post
Some say it is 800 replacement

Here

Yeah in the beginning it was said to be 800 replacement. But looking at the interiors it does not seem like a car with 800 price tag. I guess A-star will replace Alto and Maruti might place this between 800 and A-star. Lets see what MSIL has up its sleeves.
Old 26th February 2008, 01:17   #22
BHPian

I don't think that MSIL will wipe out M800 and the Alto so easily. M800 is still considered as the bread and butter for MSIL, and even the Alto has many buyers. Similar is the case with Wagon R. After giving a little face-lift to the Wagon R, I don't think that MSIL will replace it with a new model so soon. Then remains the Zen Estilo, and discontinuing the Estilo would mean the end of the famous "ZEN" brand which, IMO MSIL would never do.
So IMO the Cervo would be just a new entrant in the class and would compete against Santro/I10.

Dhaval
Old 26th February 2008, 12:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

This cal looks good.

MSIL seriously needs to shake off image of producing "barely car" cars and this seems to be a step in right direction.
Old 26th February 2008, 12:53   #24
BHPian

why stop alto??

guys wil it be right to stop the production of alto??i think it is the best small car available,no issues AFAIK with respect to quality,sales etc .then why stop it?
I have no problems with the launch of cervo,but why replace a sucessful model like alto ,whynot 800???
Old 26th February 2008, 12:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
guys wil it be right to stop the production of alto??i think it is the best small car available,no issues AFAIK with respect to quality,sales etc .then why stop it?
I have no problems with the launch of cervo,but why replace a sucessful model like alto ,whynot 800???
Its true Alto is doing well. But MSIL cant have the car selling with just minor
facelifts.Everyone is saying that A-star will replace Alto. We have to wait and see for that. Cervo cannot fit into 800's shoes ( because looking at the pics it looks a step ahead of 800). MSIL cant price Cervo below 3 lacs . So maybe they can just position it between 800- Alto for base version. And next version between Alto- Estilo. This is just my personal opinion.
Old 1st February 2010, 07:34   #26
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki is all set to launch its compact car Maruti Cervo which will hit the Indian roads by the end of 2010.

Maruti Suzuki is all set to launch its compact car Maruti Cervo which will hit the Indian roads by the end of 2010. Maruti plans to launch another compact car Cervo in the Indian market by the end of 2010. Though Cervo was seen a replacement for the already successful Maruti cars like Alto and Wagon R, Maruti Suzuki plans to launch the Cervo that will co-exist with the popular other models.
Cervo will come equipped with an engine capacity of 1 litre. The Exterior of Maruti Cervo, resembles the Honda Fit. The lines and cuts of the car are neat and classy and the clean black covering at the end of the windows are cleverly made so as not to see too many holes. The large lamps add charm and character to the rear of this Suzuki. The Interior of ht ecar resembles Swift or SX4. A lot of storage areas are available to keep stuff in the front and at the back. The car is equipped with front semi-bucket seats, 4-speed auto gearbox a K6A DOHC engine with VVT, bluetooth capability.

read more

http://suzukifan.com/2010/02/01/maru...he-end-of-2010

Last edited by thainogkok : 1st February 2010 at 07:54.
Old 1st February 2010, 08:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Except Versa nothing will vanish from MUL. When alto came we talked about phasing out 800. Still 800 is a first car for people. Pmni was a talk of phasing out it did not go. Even Zen did not go and cahe as Estilo. So be confident the models will increase in number and none will go.
Old 1st February 2010, 09:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am really confused!!. why does MUL launch multiple car in same segment?

When A-Star was launched i remember everyone in Dealership calling it as Alto A-Star so i genuinely believed that it was a replacement for alto

Anyways they are going to plonk the same engine in the cars ( K-series or the fiat) even the interiors are going to look the same
Old 1st February 2010, 10:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

From what I hear and read, the M800 is out on its way primarily because
  1. MUL is not upgrading the engine to suit BS-IV norms and hence it will go out of sale in 11 metros from April 2010
  2. The sheet metal dies are also past their age and MUL is not investing anymore on them.
So I feel that the Alto will be positioned where M800 was and then get a new car to fill up the Alto space.
Old 1st February 2010, 12:27   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Alto was supposed to replace the humble 800.
A Star I thought was supposed to replace the Alto?
and again I thought Ritz/Splash to replace the Wagon R?

However, true to their "pulse-of-the-indian-market strategy", Maruti Suzuki's tactics seem clear!

limited phasing outof their vehicles - simply because they seem to have something for everyone and there still is a market for practically anything they dish out!

frankly which are the cars they've phased out in the last 25 years?

Only the old shape Maruti 800, the High top Van, the Old Jelly bean ZEN and more recently the Baleno and the Esteem.

Just look at their present line-up and one can literally see something for everyone in it!
coupled with their super network, vehicle reliability, easy maintenance, low cost of parts and spares, fuel economy etc they truly represent the "people's car" more than anyone else at the moment - though Tata is fast catching up in terms of offering!

Only if the Tata's build a similarly solid sales and service network plus a better reputation for reliability, can they hope to replace Maruti as the people's car!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed