Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is the best looker of these?
Safari 81 60.90%
Sumo Grande 23 17.29%
Sumo Victa 0 0%
Scorpio 18 13.53%
Bolero 5 3.76%
Innova 6 4.51%
Tavera 0 0%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2008, 18:29   #31
BHPian

Safari .... right from my childhood
i still remember the ad for this vehicle ... 4X4 when i was studying 7th i believe.... used to be great to watch
Old 26th February 2008, 18:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
the fact is the sumo which was once never even looked at is now edging over the safari.

team-bhp will soon see many sumo grande owners with the obvious market shift.
You know what mate? Much as I'd liked the Sumo Grande pics that Steer had put up from the Auto Expo, I cannot see any signs at the moment of it "edging over the Safari".

Can't even see "many" Sumo Grande owners on Team BHP at any point in time in the near future, certainly not the way the Safari (first the 3 litre & then the 2.2) swept through.

Now, if the Sumo Grande came with ABS, EBD, Airbags & 4x4 - that would be a different matter altogether. But I don't see Tata following that crazy Safari killing option yet - do you?
Old 26th February 2008, 18:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Safari no doubt! It looks great even though people keep saying it is dated. For me its a eternal beauty!
Old 26th February 2008, 18:41   #34
BHPian

since i have seen the grande in flesh and blood..i for sure feel that safari is way ahead of grande lookwise.....but looks are subjective and lot many of us may prefer the boxy looks of the grande...the front of grande looks quite nice but its the side profile that really didnt appeal to me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Safari no doubt! It looks great even though people keep saying it is dated. For me its a eternal beauty!
with your profile id."safari_lover".am sure u cannot claim to love anything other than the safari...and yep agree wid you eventhough lot of people say its dated but still it looks hotter than a lot many other SUV's around..

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th February 2008 at 19:03. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 26th February 2008, 21:55   #35
BHPian

Test drove the TATA Sumo Grande today. Looks like an armoured tank - very good butch looks of an SUV. Still it does not beat the class look of the Safari. A couple of Safaris crossed us on the test drive and the pearl white Safari in particular made my heart miss a beat. Was planning to buy the Safari but looks like I will soon plonk for the Grande as it is possible (according to various reports in this forum and Autocar India magazine) that the Safari might be discontinued/ replaced by an all new vehicle in 2009; the resale value will plummet and spares will be expensive and difficult to find if that happens. Also love the front facing 3rd row seating and 3 row AC vents on the Grande. All the same I will still yearn for that (pearl white) Safari!
Old 26th February 2008, 22:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Looks wise I like the Scorp's butch looks. Just give it a tailgate mounted sparewheel.
Old 27th February 2008, 00:12   #37
BHPian

i didnt vote since i have not seen the grande in flesh and the only 2 i find and good in the looks part are the safari and scorpio but my opinion is that the safari was way ahead in the looks part when it was initially launched. looked much much better than many imported suvs at that time but now it looks old the scorpio was like wow when it was launched but now they also need a new design but still it looks better than the safari
all the safari needs is a grande like front and the rear door to be redesigned(not the back door)
this is my opinion on exterior looks only interior if they would add the reclining middle seat and roof integrated ac ducts in the safari along with the above 2 exterior changes then no other suv can compare to the safari
Old 27th February 2008, 00:47   #38
Team-BHP Support

Loved the way the Sumo Grande looks when looked front on! But rear looks very confused design, and the side looks a baby elephant (IMO!).

Of all these cars, i love the Safari the most. Looks giant and majestic- something expected from an SUV.
Old 27th February 2008, 03:58   #39
BHPian

it really looks like there are some serious safari buffs in here !!!

but i'm now going to throw my hat in the ring as well - for all it's vices and lack of anything remotely upmarket about it's guts, i really really do like the safari !!

my 2 paise.

cheers amigos
Old 27th February 2008, 10:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Safari, What else "Make your own road !!" - one of my fav. tagline

Scorpio is un-doubtfully the closest competitor but still it lacks the "road owing feel factor" which is inside Safari. Grande is definetly a nice looking veichle at the given price tag.

What else, let the figures speak

Safari 66 63.46%
Sumo Grande 17 16.35%
Sumo Victa 0 0%
Scorpio 14 13.46%
Bolero 4 3.85%
Innova 3 2.88%
Tavera 0 0%

Sadly, Innova - 2.88% which is otherwise an amazing piece with proper kittings, alloys etc.

Cheers
Old 27th February 2008, 22:59   #41
BHPian

A cousin who saw a zephyr green Tata Sumo Grande insists that when viewed from the side it reminds him of a Hummer Truck - 4X4 - Luxury SUV | HUMMER !
Old 3rd March 2008, 14:42   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
A cousin who saw a zephyr green Tata Sumo Grande insists that when viewed from the side it reminds him of a Hummer Truck - 4X4 - Luxury SUV | HUMMER !
nope not even close..the grande looks big when seen from the side but thats only as close as it gets to the hummer..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks