Team-BHP - Excise duty reduction in budget?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Excise duty reduction in budget? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/36110-excise-duty-reduction-budget.html)

Any possibility of excise duty reduction on small cars in the budget on friday? Also - would companies likely reduce current discounts, if there is indeed a cut, so that the final price remains more or less same ? :)

As to reduction, no one can predict with accuracy. Anyway, there is a 50% probability of being right. There was a huge expectation last year, but nothing happened. My personal opinion on this is not relevant.

Second, if excise is cut, then you can bet on some reduction in discounts. If not, then discounts should increase in March, with perhaps a fire sale around the end of March. Both ways, prices should be lower at end-March than in early-March.

My info is no excise duty exemption for small cars,rather some encouragement would be there for the sedan class of vehicles.My advice is wait and watch.
ram

So, is it better to book now (in Feb before budget), or wait till March? Dealers have been scaring me saying that since march is peak season, whatever discounts are currently available will also be withdrawn, and so it will be expensive to buy in March, if there is no cut in budget. And any scope for better (lower) prices towards March-end compared to Feb-end : i can wait till march end for the purchase.

Neeraj

According to the rumor mill, this is supposed to be a "Green budget', which means
1. Benefits for "green vehicles"
2. Lesser taxes on small cars
3. Increased taxes on MUV/SUV etc.,
4. Some sops for ethanol/biodiesel ready vehicles.

i do not have a high opinion and hence any high hopes of any benefits. They want to make india a hub for small cars ONLY...

i cannot understand why india cannot ALSO be a hub for big cars, SUVs, Buses, Trucks, Trains, Aeroplanes?? Basically anything that can move.

Regarding "green budget"..petrol is greener than diesel. but they raise price of diesel by rs 1 and raise price of petrol by rs 2...encouraging more diesel vehicles. Also no effort to encourage hybrid cars like prius etc.

Classic case of short sightedness...and hence my low opinion about people at helm.

From a carbon credit point of view Diesel is greener.
Its possible to make diesel cars as clean as petrol cars with the right technology, and with higher FE you let out fewer greenhouse gases

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLL (Post 738297)
but they raise price of diesel by rs 1 and raise price of petrol by rs 2...

No my friend, as far as I know, diesel has more subsidy than petrol. This is attributing to the fact that trucks need diesel for transportation of our day-to-day needs. If diesel would have been as costly as petrol, then inflation would have gone through the roof. Its only that diesel cars are taking advantage of this fact!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 738321)
From a carbon credit point of view Diesel is greener.
Its possible to make diesel cars as clean as petrol cars with the right technology, and with higher FE you let out fewer greenhouse gases

Possibly true...but cleaner diesel will get mixed with kerosene....

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_pulsar (Post 738329)
No my friend, as far as I know, diesel has more subsidy than petrol. This is attributing to the fact that trucks need diesel for transportation of our day-to-day needs. If diesel would have been as costly as petrol, then inflation would have gone through the roof. Its only that diesel cars are taking advantage of this fact!

Yes, you are correct that subsidy on diesel is more. Not only trucks, but lot of manufacturing & farm equipment also uses diesel as fuel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLL (Post 738297)
i do not have a high opinion and hence any high hopes of any benefits. They want to make india a hub for small cars ONLY...

i cannot understand why india cannot ALSO be a hub for big cars, SUVs, Buses, Trucks, Trains, Aeroplanes?? Basically anything that can move.

Regarding "green budget"..petrol is greener than diesel. but they raise price of diesel by rs 1 and raise price of petrol by rs 2...encouraging more diesel vehicles. Also no effort to encourage hybrid cars like prius etc.

Classic case of short sightedness...and hence my low opinion about people at helm.

If you see the trend in Europe Diesel cars are gaining popularity. 1.Diesel engines emit less green house gases than Petrol engines 2.Diesel is more efficient than Petrol 3.Only downside with current diesel engine is particulates. But it is possible to reduce it using better technology. Also it makes sense to provide incentives to small cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLL (Post 738335)
Possibly true...but cleaner diesel will get mixed with kerosene....

Thats a problem with regulation.

IMO , there is not going to be much of a change ,as the elections are getting near . Mr.Chidambaram may slightly alter the IT Tax bracket or reduce the rates. Can expect changes in agricultural sectors . But who knows what he has in mind .. Wait for the judgement day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeraj Dabake (Post 738210)
So, is it better to book now (in Feb before budget), or wait till March? Dealers have been scaring me saying that since march is peak season, whatever discounts are currently available will also be withdrawn,...

In my opinion, it is better to book now. If price cuts do happen, take the delivery in March, else you take the benefit of discounts currently being offered. Either way, the customer wins. Isn't that the way it works?

Do not worry, with or without excise cuts, cars will be cheaper in March. Do not go by what dealers say. They always have a lean February, and will tell you anything to close the deal now. They do not know if you will come back again.

March is peak season for sales, but the discounts are also high because of financial closing. Traditionally, the worst period for buyers (looking for big discounts) is around the festive season. March, April, Dec, Feb, Sep are usually considered good buyer months, unless a festival falls (eg. Navratra/Diwali in mid Oct).