Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2005, 10:03   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am aware, Wolf. It was just my way of putting it.

GTO
Old 25th January 2005, 21:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, I remember an Overdrive article on the same.......btw, what became of those handling tests for the Indica Sport by some british bloke called Potter???
Old 27th January 2005, 14:57   #18
BHPian

Guess I saw one of these vehicles a CAMRY YELLOW Indica with all Rally Markings in Bangalore a year back... The article on the same appeared about 1 /2 year(s) back.
Old 27th January 2005, 17:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Simply one word- FantastiC. Tell u wat guyz...this Indica Hatcy is really a capable runner. They should introduce the Sport Version..with alloys and better tyres which will match the now flared wheelarches.
Old 27th January 2005, 17:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
But bringing that car into production will be harder than, Bugatti launching the Veyron with 1000 bhp.
Why?? please justify. Thats the problem with many people. They themselves drive cars with the horsepower numbers in 3 digits and acceleration times near 8-9 seconds but wont digest the fact that the country they live in may one day produce a car that will be equal or rather much better than the international cars they are using.
If people can buy a Palio 1.6 GTX or a Honda City Vtec, why not an Indica sport?? Nearly same performance, same so called acceleration and at the same time pretty cheap to maintain.
Old 27th January 2005, 18:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
Why?? please justify. Thats the problem with many people. They themselves drive cars with the horsepower numbers in 3 digits and acceleration times near 8-9 seconds but wont digest the fact that the country they live in may one day produce a car that will be equal or rather much better than the international cars they are using.

yeah i agree stratos , we ourselves will be taken aback if this happens !! spot on !!

Quote:
If people can buy a Palio 1.6 GTX or a Honda City Vtec, why not an Indica sport?? Nearly same performance, same so called acceleration and at the same time pretty cheap to maintain
yeah i too read abt this indica sport and was excited looking at it - the car looked stunning in yellow with alloys and skirts in that amazing yellow color !
heck even i wudnt mind buying that car if its launched , and if tata looks at it seriously they ca fill in the void left by the palio 1.6 GTX and the Honda Vtec !! and it will be much cheaper to buy and easier to maintain - with no negative vibes of the company !! GO TATA !!

cheers
Old 28th January 2005, 03:27   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
the car looked stunning in yellow with alloys and skirts in that amazing yellow color !
The only "strange" part of the styling was that the taillights were of the CNG taxi indicas as opposed to the usual ones. (ie round lights in a vertical row)

cya
R
Old 28th January 2005, 10:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did i say it's impossible. I just said it's difficult.

Ok you tell me, if TATA has to do it how will they? 1.4 ltr engine, now you modify it...........for a 0-100 time of 8 secs and a top speed of 180kmph. Which has to be capable of being mass produced and appealing to the public, reliable, efficient and safe.

A prototype is easy to make bcos it's not bound by all the stringent rules and regulations. But a road car, has to sacrifice a lot.

Like JC has said, Porsche had all the tech and money in the world to make the Carrera GT, faster than the Mclaren F1, but they didn't. Same goes for the Enzo. They all knew what the benchmark was. The Veyron was planned for 1000bhp, but now i hear that the power might be dropped to 800 something, provided it comes into production, why?

A 8 sec Indica will have to produce atleast 140bhp. That's 100bhp per ltr, which no Indian car company is willing to build bcoz it requires the engine to run at a very high compression ratio, parts will have to be much stronger and hence expensive.

Don't think that i'm saying this just bcoz it's TATA. I'm saying this bcos it's really that hard a task. Even Honda who are well known for their 100bhp/ltr engines in the Integra, Civic, RSX and the S2000 taking the cake with 120bhp/ltr, aren't willing to do so in India, the Accord V6 has the highest bhp/ltr figure for production NA cars here and that stands at 73.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 28th January 2005 at 12:33.
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2005, 15:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

A company does not consist of only Me and U. It has people who think in different ways to improve or introduce something. May be Tata are thinking on how to produce the engine. There is not point in jumping to the conclusion that it can or it cant. This, only time will tell. For that matter, if one day they make a 0-100 in 8 sec Indica...I am pretty sure that it will be much reliable than the cars that it will compete with!
Old 28th January 2005, 15:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is not point in jumping to the conclusion that it can or it cant.
Nobody here says it can't be done.

Quote:
May be Tata are thinking on how to produce the engine.
Thinking?I bet they are, but let me tell you, when companies that have already gone ahead and mass produced such engines aren't getting their cars here, there's nothing much left to think about.

If they're gonna take half a decade to think, it'll be 20 years before it materielises into something physical. And the world ain't gonna wait for them. By that time, we'll prob have all B segment cars doing 100 in 8 secs.

Right about now, TATA will be busy thinking about their 1 lakh car project, which is a big task by itself.

Quote:
For that matter, if one day they make a 0-100 in 8 sec Indica...I am pretty sure that it will be much reliable than the cars that it will compete with!
Hope so.....

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 28th January 2005 at 15:19.
Old 28th January 2005, 15:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Even if there were to be rumours about Honda launching a 100bhp/ltr engine in India, i wouldn't take it for granted. We just don't have the kind of facilities required by those engines.

How many cities in India have fuel with a octane rating of 95 and above? And you think they'll sell those indicas in only those cities? If my neighbour buys this 8 sec indica here in Hubli, do you expect him to travel 400 kms just to fill gas? Cos Hubli doesn't even have 93 octane let alone 95/98.

The only way they can do it, is if they use a TC on the car. And, it will have to be one huge TC, bigger than the one found on the RS. Even the RS here produces just 83 bhp/ltr, inspite of having forced induction.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 28th January 2005 at 15:28.
Old 28th January 2005, 22:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Better we stop this argument as the wind that has come from Japan will never pass through my head!
Old 28th January 2005, 22:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

well i dont know whether or not tata will ever launch Indica sports or not, .. Maruti has certainly launched its own "sporty looking" version of Maruti 800...

so now we have 800 with "dual tone fabric", "clear lens headlamps", and "auto headlamp adjust"....

for how many more years this 4 legger continue to rule the roads...
Old 28th January 2005, 23:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Better we stop this argument as the wind that has come from Japan will never pass through my head!
This isn't an arguement, i'm trying to tell you why it is so difficult. I'm not saying it won't come, but there's a long way to go before that happens. Not in the near future.

If a 100bhp/ltr car was indeed that easy to mass produce in India, it would have come by now. Manufacturers world-wide, have been making such engines for ages, there's nothing futuristic about it.

So, spare us the japanese wind theory, and try taking a more logical aproach to this discussion.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 28th January 2005 at 23:21.
Old 29th January 2005, 00:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
The only "strange" part of the styling was that the taillights were of the CNG taxi indicas as opposed to the usual ones. (ie round lights in a vertical row)
Rehaan, its the other way. The Indica Sport had those tail lights way before they were introduced on Taxis

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks