Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 21:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Now the CRDI is cheaper , comes around to 6L OTR after the Budget 2008 . Rs.19419 reduced . You guys feel the price is fair enough to pick up the sales??
Old 1st March 2008, 00:57   #47
BHPian

Difficult to understand Hyundai strategy for Getz D. Maybe outside of teambhp demand is limited, maybe they are not interested in pushing the car which would raise the question of why they introduced it and have it as an option in the first space, maybe an internal management tussle, maybe a place warmer for i20 diesel, which will presumably will have abs and airbags standard and a higher price tag.

Difficult to say but at the moment it's neither helping Hyundai or customers.
Old 1st March 2008, 04:03   #48
Senior - BHPian

Why did Hyundai launch the Getz CRDI. Adds to the long list of half hearted flops from Hyundai. Only Hyundai can take fairly good cars and make them unsuccesful due to their quirky marketing . Wlantra, Sonata, Terracan, Tuscon , Getz . Where will it end. The only exception in the recet times has been the i10.
Old 1st March 2008, 06:42   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The only exception in the recet times has been the i10.
Hyundai's premium cars never caught up here. After the initial excitement and hype, they fell flat on it's face or became damp squibs.
But their VFM option always became successful models in their categories.
And it's unfortunate that Getz doesn't fall into this latter kind.
Old 1st March 2008, 08:13   #50
BHPian

If only life was all about a 0-100 sprint, there would be no looking past the getz in the hatchback segment.

But if you need to take a corner at anything approaching resonable speeds then this is not the car to do it in. The engine is simply too much for the chassis to handle - even the verna struggled with it - and to put a performance engine into what is supposed to be a family hatch (incl the family dog) just dosent make sense.

Now if there was a way to transplant the getz's engine into the swift
Old 1st March 2008, 10:34   #51
nbr
BHPian

Anything can happen

Quote:
Why did Hyundai launch the Getz CRDI. Adds to the long list of half hearted flops from Hyundai. Only Hyundai can take fairly good cars and make them unsuccesful due to their quirky marketing . Wlantra, Sonata, Terracan, Tuscon , Getz . Where will it end. The only exception in the recet times has been the i10.

U never know when i1o joins teh long list of half hearted flops of hyundai.
I always feel Hyundai has lost it after Subbu quit Hyundai.
Old 1st March 2008, 11:03   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
[/b]

U never know when i1o joins teh long list of half hearted flops of hyundai.
I always feel Hyundai has lost it after Subbu quit Hyundai.
I agree.
It sometimes feel very odd for a company which has managed to pull out a good strategy in many different parts of the world. Yes! They need to imitate Japanese and europeans in this department too.
Old 1st March 2008, 11:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

The pricing plays a major role in the success of a model.i10 for that matter is nearly 50k more than the santro counter part which comes with huge offers.The guys at the showroom tried to attract customers with the i110 and sell santro ,but that strategy did not last.sales figure of santro + i10 fell short of wagon r alone.
I dont know why this phenomenon is on the rise at hyundai.
ram
Old 1st March 2008, 12:54   #54
BHPian

My cousin is buying a Getz CRDi and i and he have been behind it from past one week. Initially all told us that it takes 3-4 months for delivery. Then in one of the three dealers in hyd, we saw the Diesel getz on display.

Upon enquiry he said they are booked for customers. Then we called another dealer if They got any stock, and they said they have only RED color available, but we wanted only White or Silver.

Then we spoke to a friend of ours who deals in insurance and financing. We asked him to speak to the first dealer if he can ask the customer if we can have the car if we pay some premium, then he said they have ready stock for 3-4 more getz, and in White and Silver both!!!!!

Turns out the second dealer who told us he has only RED, he has a white color too!
Turns out the third dealer who initially told us that the waiting period is 3-4 months, he has 3 cars ready with him too!

This is to indicate that a MASSIVE level fraud is going on amongst the HYUNDAI Dealers all over India. The probability of HYUNDAI being involved in this i wouldnt know, but this is sure, that the dealers are just creating an artifical hype for the car, and looking to extract premium, as one who has decided on a GETZ Diesel, is bound to buy only that, and will pay a lil more when he can get it immediately!

Shame on Hyundai's part for either of these 2 reasons:
1. Not keeping proper check on their dealers
2. Being a part of this fraud.
Old 1st March 2008, 13:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

@Insane; so got the car?
Old 1st March 2008, 13:55   #56
BHPian

Hyundai requested dealers not to sell the Getz Crdi for some time as they are fine tuning the fuel efficiency of the engine. According to them the car is supposed to deliver around 20km/l but it gives only 14 in real life. Once they are able to achieve the required efficiency they may flood the market with them.

Naturally a question arises- The same mill works perfect in Verna, then why not?
May be dynamics of the body? Let them break the head, not us!

I got this info from a Hyundai associate in december 2007. However standard disclaimer apply. IMO, AFAIK etc.

Last edited by theMAG : 1st March 2008 at 17:05.
Old 1st March 2008, 14:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

I called up the dealers again and asked the price and they said they onroad prices are 6.37L OTR , but last time they told me its 6.2L . I asked them why and they said they quoted it wrong as they itself didnt know the correct price . Still they didnt get the new prices after the budget. And a week back he told me that the waiting period was 2 mon and now he says its 1 week . I told them to get clear about their product and call me up on monday.
Old 1st March 2008, 14:08   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only exception in the recet times has been the i10.
The i10 has some pretty plush interiors compared to the CRDI too !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
This is to indicate that a MASSIVE level fraud is going on amongst the HYUNDAI Dealers all over India. The probability of HYUNDAI being involved in this i wouldnt know.
Thats propaganda man, they hardly making these cars. Its not like there is a burgeoning demand for these cars.
Old 1st March 2008, 14:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassid View Post
If only life was all about a 0-100 sprint, there would be no looking past the getz in the hatchback segment.
That is correct. Unfortunately life is not all about 0-100 or power - else the Palio 1.6 would've been the bestseller hatchback, not the one that everyone with a 1.2 liked to talk about.

Wrong car for the market. They would've been better off with the non-VGT version of the same engine that develops 88 bhp, perhaps tuned towards fuel economy. This is a market where people call the 70 bhp Swift and the 68 bhp Fiesta "stonker"s - the 110 bhp VGT CRDi is an overkill in such a market, and perhaps they could manage the price better with lower performance and more non-performance features - it truly is overpriced.

Quote:
But if you need to take a corner at anything approaching resonable speeds then this is not the car to do it in.
I've driven this thing abroad and I can say that the diesel Getz is a pretty entertaining car to drive - you can approach corners in much more than reasonable speeds and enjoy it. It doesnt have the floating ride of the Verna, nor is it harsh like some 'performance' hatches.

Quote:
The engine is simply too much for the chassis to handle - even the verna struggled with it - and to put a performance engine into what is supposed to be a family hatch (incl the family dog) just dosent make sense.
Absolute nonsense. This car and the Verna sell abroad with pretty much the same engine. Unlike the Accent which had a diesel engine planted into a car that started life as a petrol car, this one was made for diesel-loving European markets.

We ask ourselves why cars are detuned for our market, but we seem to prefer the detuned cars more than those in their original state of tune. We are probably the biggest brand-snobs in the automotive world - nowhere else are cars eulogised or admonished so much on the basis of the labels they carry. We are more racist than those we call racist - and what do we get so worked up about but a couple of car manufacturers that are at the bottom of the pile elsewhere.

Quote:
Now if there was a way to transplant the getz's engine into the swift
Yeah - that car can barely keep itself together with about 70 bhp. Put this engine inside and watch it disintegrate.

Last edited by Steeroid : 1st March 2008 at 15:09.
Old 1st March 2008, 16:03   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yeah - that car can barely keep itself together with about 70 bhp. Put this engine inside and watch it disintegrate.
It handles 125bhp abroad!

However, I agree the build quality of the MSIL Swift is nothing like the build quality of the Suzuki Swift!

Most Viewed