Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2008, 08:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
AM very surprised to find the more important aspects of a car that are missing from a safety perspective are missing in this list. Missing things include ORVM on the passenger side and a day/night rear view mirror inside.
Don't other folks find these important? They in my opinion make a world of difference especially in a swift.
YES!!! Dont know how i missed these out.!!!! This rear view mirror thing is very dissatisfying. The day/night thing is even more ridiculous. These are very basic essentials.

Last edited by gemithomas : 1st March 2008 at 08:45.
Old 1st March 2008, 14:03   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My Don't Buy Cars:

4. VW Passat : Flawed for the price. Limited room, harsh ride, no badge value.
No value for VW badge then you must say Skoda is premium??
Old 1st March 2008, 15:25   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
No value for VW badge
Well, most people would not find it funny after you look at the price tag. The Passat works out to anywhere between 27 - 29 lacs on-the-road (depending on city + taxes). Spend 2 lacs more and you have yourself a Mercedes or a BMW, which you will surely agree have more badge value?
Old 1st March 2008, 15:27   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Code Name: Maruti Swift LDi
You pick out the cheapest version and then complain it doesnt have features like rear wipers, parcel tray, side rear view mirror etc? MODS, what sense does this make? Anyways, since the thread takes versions also into account, my dont buy car-

Code Name: FIAT Palio Stile 1.1 SL & SLE (2nd model too!)

Reasons:
  • 1.1 L 57 bhp engine with only 92 Nm torque. At 57.5bhp/ton and 92.9 Nm/ton the car struggles to keep up with even the M800!
  • 0-100 in 20.7 secs (compared to 20.8 for M800, both OD figures) for a near 4L car?
  • Pathetic resale value.
  • No alloys. And only option to buy alloys is the stock ones itself, being 98 pcd. In fact, not even full wheel covers are provided! And guess what, its 13inch and not 14!
  • 5.1 m turning radius!
  • Exorbitant spare parts and damage repair price. Prices were higher than most mid-segment sedans, as per ACI survey.
  • No option of ABS/Airbags no matter what amount you are willing to pay or whichever version you are willing to get. Infact, not even for the 1.6. Shows FIAT doesn't care about safety at all!
  • 12 year old model that may not last too long in the market. So, planning to keep car for 7-10 years (to compensate cheap resale value) might not prove so 'brave' in the end!
Adding to the above list, the 'essential features' that were discussed before in this thread.
Quote:
- No essential features including even rear wiper (highly necessary for hatches)
-YES!!! Dont know how i missed these out.!!!! This rear view mirror thing is very dissatisfying. These are very basic essentials. (SL,SLE)
- Ask for something as small as a digital clock and they'll say its not there on the LDi (in this case- SL,SLE)
Disclaimer: Everything in this thread is personal opinion based on individual priorities or experiences. There is no intention to down grade or uphold any particular brand/car/person.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st March 2008 at 15:33.
Old 1st March 2008, 18:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
YES!!! Dont know how i missed these out.!!!! This rear view mirror thing is very dissatisfying. The day/night thing is even more ridiculous. These are very basic essentials.
Left side ORVM (with internal manual adjustment stalk) came with my Swift LDi that I bought last week. Are we missing something here ?
Old 1st March 2008, 23:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
You pick out the cheapest version and then complain it doesnt have features like rear wipers, parcel tray, side rear view mirror etc? MODS, what sense does this make? Anyways, since the thread takes versions also into account, my dont buy car-

Code Name: FIAT Palio Stile 1.1 SL & SLE (2nd model too!)

Reasons:
  • 1.1 L 57 bhp engine with only 92 Nm torque. At 57.5bhp/ton and 92.9 Nm/ton the car struggles to keep up with even the M800!
  • 0-100 in 20.7 secs (compared to 20.8 for M800, both OD figures) for a near 4L car?
  • Pathetic resale value.
  • No alloys. And only option to buy alloys is the stock ones itself, being 98 pcd. In fact, not even full wheel covers are provided! And guess what, its 13inch and not 14!
  • 5.1 m turning radius!
  • Exorbitant spare parts and damage repair price. Prices were higher than most mid-segment sedans, as per ACI survey.
  • No option of ABS/Airbags no matter what amount you are willing to pay or whichever version you are willing to get. Infact, not even for the 1.6. Shows FIAT doesn't care about safety at all!
  • 12 year old model that may not last too long in the market. So, planning to keep car for 7-10 years (to compensate cheap resale value) might not prove so 'brave' in the end!
Adding to the above list, the 'essential features' that were discussed before in this thread.

Disclaimer: Everything in this thread is personal opinion based on individual priorities or experiences. There is no intention to down grade or uphold any particular brand/car/person.
Just check out how much you are paying for both hatches. Now please dont tell me of quality. We all know about the quality levels of both cars. If you want to make it easy look here
Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 SL vs Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 SLE vs Maruti Swift LDi (Diesel) | Car Comparisons - CarWale.com India

Why dont we compare cars at simmilar prices.

Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 1.2 LS vs Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 Sport vs Hyundai i10 Magna vs Maruti Swift LDi (Diesel) | Car Comparisons - CarWale.com India

Last edited by gemithomas : 1st March 2008 at 23:25.
Old 1st March 2008, 23:46   #67
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Don't buy for
1) LOOKS
- Fiat Sierra, Petra, Uno
- Tata Indigo
- WagonR
- Santro
2) A.S.S & time to get parts
- Fiat
3) Outrageously expensive parts, service & maintenance
- Skoda (we have got you sucker - you have no option now)
Old 1st March 2008, 23:47   #68
BHPian

To all the moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
nicejits, I find it a little odd. You have said this earlier also a couple of times in different ways, about the Safaris and any Tata car in general. We can definitely fish them out from records. But the point is everytime you were challenged as to what is your experience to make a sweeping "Everyone knows..." statement you have run away.

So, here it is for you. Either you substantiate this line that you seem to have made a habit of dropping in every second thread or else stop doing so immediately.

We generally abhor people who make unsubstantiated, bombastic statements.
I have got absolute and incontrovertible proof as to why my Junkindica is the most untrustworthy car and the car none should touch even with a barge pole. The complete papers and proof I got to the recent team bhp meet in Kerala for all to peruse. If any one wants it I will gladly show it to your representative in Cochin.
By the way this thread should be answered by people who own the cars they detest and have personal experience with it. I am expecting the TATA guy( wonder if he is employed with the TATA's) to castigate me for making this statement shortly in this thread but hey why not speak out ones mind and warn others who are contemplating buying the Indica.

Bye and wear your seat belts.
Old 1st March 2008, 23:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
By the way this thread should be answered by people who own the cars they detest and have personal experience with it.
Why would anyone buy something they detest? Agreed there are some who hate the cars they own, but most of us would have rather avoid it in the first place.
You dont have to buy something to know its bad
Old 2nd March 2008, 00:04   #70
Team-BHP Support

This thread is not about comparisons IMO, and i havent mentioned any comparison anywhere! (except for the comparison with M800 figures just to show the pathetic performance!)

Bring comparisons into this thread and it will be the Swift v/s Palio story all the way (Which is where it might be heading even otherwise )
Old 2nd March 2008, 00:25   #71
BHPian

No one would buy a car that they new to be Junk. But alas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Why would anyone buy something they detest? Agreed there are some who hate the cars they own, but most of us would have rather avoid it in the first place.
You dont have to buy something to know its bad

I would not have bought the Junkindica if someone with experience about it had forewarned me about it. When I bought it in year 2000 there were not many who had first hand long term experience with it and my experience with the two TATA Estates in the family was very very good.. My only intention now is to spread the word about the Junkindica and stop Indians from being taken for a ride and being parted from their hard earned money. By the way I have won the court case to call my Indica the Junkindica or by any other name and stick posters exclaiming the same and have the court orders with me. The poster should not be religious casteist or sexual was the judges warning though. I would gladly avoid it but till the consumer case is over I am forced to keep it in the garage.

Bye and wear your seat belts.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 2nd March 2008 at 00:28.
Old 2nd March 2008, 00:57   #72
Senior - BHPian

Well, I bought an indica, and havent found a reason to regret it......yet
Old 2nd March 2008, 01:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well. I searched all around and found lots of people asking not to buy one car or the other. Just thought it would of help to a new car buyer if we could put our personal opinions on which cars Not to buy. Please also mention clearly the reason for a "Dont Buy" tag.

Here is my "Dont Buy Car". I know i'm gonna get killed for this.

Code Name:
Maruti Swift LDi

Reason:
- No essential features including even rear wiper (highly necessary for hatches)
- No steering adjustment (i expect that in a hatch at the 5L range)
- Highly mismatching tyres (i think atleast 70% of owners go straight to the accesory shop for an upgrade)
- All Black interiors (Personally i felt it very boring within 5 mins of drive)
- Harsh low speed ride.
- No Rear Parcel Tray!!!! (Common Man. Is 5L so cheap??)
- Rattles Rattles and More Rattles (Well not sure if it has change in new models but that was what i felt in the 3 test drive vehicles (2 Brand new ones waiting for delivery and 1 Test Drive Vehicle))
- Ask for something as small as a digital clock and they'll say its not there on the LDi
- The rear seats are not at all comfortable and is very cramped for long trips. 5 is really a crowd here!

well i agree to every point made here we have one at home, and know the pains that this car has given, what the hell does maruti think of itself when it does not provide a small thing such as a cigrette lighter? to make it worse most of the after market ones dont fit the size of the stock location nor do they set well i ended up changing 4 of these and believe me they blew up my fuses all of these times and the OE fuses cost me a bomb and was hell difficult to source, i dint want the after market ones avaliable with every car decors so had to do a lot of search and pay high too! and had to resort to a place where these lighters dont blow the fuses and still set in the location! check out my gallery for the same, and dont forget to look close, the OE thing is bigger in radius and a place made especially for this had to be put in!

does maruti think they can make a fortune by not providing one in this model and and later on sell them as spares? they are a bare necessity at least to clean the car and charge the battery of my cell phone!the total cost of the 4 lighter was 550 and the fuses were 250! the vdi model comes with a socket but not a lighter what a pity!

another thing is the clock i ended changing 3 clocks for they were all defective and was dont under warranty as it was made by nippon!

when i enquired for the cost of tacho meter they said its integrated and the cost of set is close to 8500 including labour and the warranty might be void! damn i just got so pissed off with the warranty void part because its dont by their workshop and still warranty void?

the cost of the defogger was costed around 4000 including the labour and since its integrated the glass is replaced.

the rear viper set the motor and the blade alone is 5000 and the extra pipe that comes to water the rear shield is extra dint even bother to ask the price.

the price of the LORVM is 1600 + 200 for fixing! why the hell dint the govt make this a rule to provide both sides? had it not been a rule i dont think the maruti would have provided even the RORVM! crazy man my accent viva's cost me only 1100 a year ago! and the best part is that it was avaliable only with the saboo and that too last piece none others had this, not the mitra nor varun!

PS:and the disclaimer applies to me too
Old 2nd March 2008, 01:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

also wanted to add but the above post is big already so posting a new one!

check out my swift gallery i made custom head rests for the rear and it was something like 1200-1500 i dont remember exactly.

the tyres were so bad and so cheap, i can get a new tyre same OE one at 1050 a piece so had to sell the brand new ones for 800!!! man i cant even get a new front tyre for my unicorn at that price, i just hated the 10kms drive to ashoka wheels shop on these tyres had them changed to michelins right away! such a loot from maruti is what i felt!

well with all these pains why i bought this vehicle you ask, purely for the engine and handling it offers!!!!!, basically had a budget of 4.5l and dad wanted indica and i pursuaded him to get this! and see how much more i had to spend!
man cost cutting to this extent? couldnt they have just put this engine in the old zen, provided all these features and could have sold it at the highest model!

i would not recommed this model unless more discounts are offered to buy the missing things! and they dint even give me foor mats just paper for the mats!

PS:genmithomas's disclamier applies me too!

Last edited by rider60 : 2nd March 2008 at 01:55.
Old 2nd March 2008, 02:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The only car I would not buy is my own, cause I already own it.

personally I don't like this thread!

It has nothing that is not already discussed and contains a great potential for a flame war.
In general, one has a set of constraints and then compares which car matches most of them and buy it.
If he cannot afford the features, then the seconds market is checked.

But to just dismiss a car one does not like and speak ill of it.
I don't like it.
Quote:
Hey! Thats not the intention. Every car has goods and bads. Simmilarly every person has his priorities. Thats why the title itself says "Your". It is a personal choice and personal opinion which depends on what your priorities are. The thread is intended to give you insights to other ways of looking at a particular car.

For example though "my" dont buy car is the swift Ldi. There mught be someone who feels that its the best in the market becuase of its engine, mileage, price, A.S.S, shape. If those are his priorities and he does not bother about what i mentioned in the first post, its his choice. But this thread would make him aware the other way of looking at things. i think it would help in a more informed decision.

you may be right bblost but then, on second thoughts the maruti's has benched marked the extent of cost cutting if i am allowed to say that, has gone too far, and before buying this car a newbie needs to know this.

also they still dont manufacture the cigrette lighters, the fog lamps and many such small things that are needed very much indeed! just look at the cost of the ORVM its damned 1800 bucks for a car costing 5.5l on road and is almost equal to the midsizer! dont these deserve the warning for the others? atleast to keep them informed?

its such a claustrophobic car one seriously cannot drive it in the traffic with out this bare necessity.

the thing that has pissed me off is even if the costs of all these parts are really high they are not manufactured by maruti, at least at present are not available in the spares, one has to go through the pain of roaming around for the after market ones, some of these may be small but then they are still need and few of them are safety parts! and others such as the FOG lamps without company harnesser voids the warranty of the brand new car! now thats reason enough for me to call this heights and more over its been more than 3years since the car is launched and a manufacturer such as maruti suzuki not having the spares avaliable yet is really really pissing me off!

also forgot to add no day/night RVM and not avaliable in the spares either!

PS: the gemithomas's disclaimer applies here too.

Last edited by rider60 : 2nd March 2008 at 02:18.

Most Viewed