Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2008, 03:00   #76
BHPian

Indica V2 DLS

Even at 80kmph the engine will stand on its toss.. So strained and over taking at highway is a sure risk
Old 2nd March 2008, 06:59   #77
ajibba

My Don’t buy car would be : Any model from TATA.

Owned a TATA Sierra Turbo, the very next day I took the vehicle from the showroom, there was water dripping in the cabin, water leaking into the headlamps and tail lamps. Gap between the headlamp and bonnet (different on right and left sides). Within a week the Power steering fluid started leaking. A/C didnt work if it the switch was used multiple times…. I could go on an on ..Comon guys , I wasn’t expecting this from a brand new vehicle.

I owned this vehicle for 5 Years, on the 4th year my dad bought a Toyota Qualis ( one of the very first models) , it was then I realised how badly I was being tortured by the Sierra. Till date the only time I have seen my dad’s Quails in the workshop is for it routine service ( done every 5000km). Now, that’s what I call built to Quality.

I could be easily dragged into an argument for – why I mentioned ‘Any Model from TATA’. Though I have mentioned above my experience with my Sierra, I am not limited to just one. Of all the TATA vehicles I have driven, be it Indica, Safari, Estate, two things that go for the negative for these vehicles are – Reliability and Build Quality (I specifically mean fit and finish).

Old 2nd March 2008, 12:46   #78
Senior - BHPian

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and love of a car/brand in the budget/head/heart of the owner

@ ajibba; seems you should checkout the newer Tatas instead on being stuck with a decision you made 10years back.
Evolve.
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:08   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and love of a car/brand in the budget/head/heart of the owner

@ ajibba; seems you should checkout the newer Tatas instead on being stuck with a decision you made 10years back.
Evolve.
I reviewed new safari, Tata Indica Dicor, Indogo CS. I doubt if Tata will close the panel gaps, use Quality Plastics etc even in 2015.
Especially I just laughed at the panel gaps in Indica Dicor (Is there any aerodynamics involved )

I am Sure, you can never expect the same look and feel, finish from Tata when they release Nano. What you see now is a only a Beautiful Model. :-)

If you say the Quality of Tata Sumo grande inside plastics are good, then probably you have never peeked into any other cars. Even Ambassador is better.

Tata motors has a different meaning for the word Build quality.

If one buys a Tata vehicle, its perhaps for any other reason, and not for the Look, Quality etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Well, I bought an indica, and havent found a reason to regret it......yet
When did you buy that? How long have you been driving it?

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd March 2008 at 12:51. Reason: Please don't multi-post. Use the multiquote button to respond to multiple members' posts.
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:21   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
If one buys a Tata vehicle, its perhaps for any other reason, and not for the Look, Quality etc.
Why? While its not stunning, i found the 2007 indica redesign quite pleasing !. Absolute quality, may not be, but VFM? absolutely . for < 4.5L, i got a rugged , spacious vehicle, adequate power , safety, economy & torque of a diesel,cheap and widely available spares and service and reasonably solid body panels for a good ICE install.
What other alternatives do i have ?
But yes, buying a tata vehicle is a matter of mind over heart

Quote:
When did you buy that? How long have you been driveing it?
May 07. 9000k so far .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...0k-report.html for more

Last edited by greenhorn : 2nd March 2008 at 22:29. Reason: Two smiley rule
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:27   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why? While its not stunning, i found the 2007 indica redesign quite pleasing . Absolute quality, may not be, but VFM? absolutely . for < 4.5L, i got a rugged , spacious vehicle, adequate power , safety, economy & torque of a diesel,cheap and widely available spares and service and reasonably solid body panels for a good ICE install.
What other alternatives do i have ?
But yes, buying a tata vehicle is a matter of mind over heart

May 07. 9000k so far .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...0k-report.html for more
Its a VFM car, But the question is Quality. The other small cars in this segment is much more good Qualitywise. Santro, i10, wagaon R, Swift, Getz are certainly much more superior in quality, and look (of course it is individual).

I would like to see your ownership report after 25,000 and 40,000. :-)
Old 3rd March 2008, 03:48   #82
BHPian

Any car from Land Rover.
For the simple fact that it will force them to drop prices and i will be able to afford the Range Rover Sport. The one which very nearly one against the Challenger tank on Top Gear.

Seriously though would definitely stay away from the 800 now especially since alto is very near to its pricing. Also the Omni. Somehow looking at either I can only see images of the horrible accidents on the highways. Especially the Omni, one which i had seen at the Ghaziabad turn on delhi hapur highway with its top sheared away and also the death of the three people in front.
Old 3rd March 2008, 07:56   #83
BHPian

Some international musings

Check out the cars that the international community consider to be the worst.
Looks like they have not heard of the Junkindica that I own.
11 worst cars - Consumer Reports - Toyota Yaris (base, manual transmission) (7) - CNNMoney.com

The Aveo hatch and the YARIS features in it.
Bye and wear your seat belts
Old 3rd March 2008, 08:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I reviewed new safari, Tata Indica Dicor, Indogo CS. I doubt if Tata will close the panel gaps, use Quality Plastics etc even in 2015.
Especially I just laughed at the panel gaps in Indica Dicor (Is there any aerodynamics involved )

I am Sure, you can never expect the same look and feel, finish from Tata when they release Nano. What you see now is a only a Beautiful Model. :-)

If you say the Quality of Tata Sumo grande inside plastics are good, then probably you have never peeked into any other cars. Even Ambassador is better.

Tata motors has a different meaning for the word Build quality.

While i completely agree with you i would like to bring in another perspective of this. TATA makes Cheap cars that are cheap to buy and to maintain. Look at cars like the Indica for example. It is bigger than any other car that comes at that price. It is cheaper to maintain. (unless you get stuck with something like our poor Dr.!!) I mean the normal servicing is cheap. Take a look at the Safari. How much more would you have to pay for such look vehicles from another brand? Even the Sumo starts much low than its competitors. The Grande looks awesome and generations ahead when you compare it with the older sumo. Not with an Innova or even a Scorpio.

TATA has been making cars just for around 10-15 years. I guess the evolution has been pretty fast when i drive the new safari 2.2 and the Sumo Grande and the Indica DiCOR. TATA is not a luxury brand. It is a economy brand. Just like you cant expect frills on a low cost airline. I think you should not expect very good fit and finish quality in a TATA.

Believe me. TATA has evolved very much since its original Indica. One thing i like about TATA is its aggressive changing. How many manufacturers give consumers so much changes woth every passing month. Be it looks, or engine technology (even the INdica DiCOR has undergone changes and is not the same DiCOR that was in the Indigo). I remember the 800 and Alto being the same for years. I remember the UNO looking the same ever since it was launched. Even the Palio got its facelift after how many years. What about the Santro. How long has it been like that. Now dont tell me that they are perfect and dont need any changes. Orcourse TATA is camparatively very bad in terms of Quality Consistency. But i guess you pay only that much.

Last edited by gemithomas : 3rd March 2008 at 08:32.
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:29   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Also the Optra (Suzuki Forenza there)
Old 3rd March 2008, 11:31   #86
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Bye and wear your seat belts

What's are the YARIS features?
Old 3rd March 2008, 12:30   #87
Senior - BHPian

Out of the Consumer Reports' list, we have two vehicles in India (Optra and Aveo). Aveo's lack of acceleration and handling might not be a big problem in India. But the Optra has some safety issues listed out inspite of airbags.
Old 3rd March 2008, 16:00   #88
ajibba

Quote:

Evolve.

Hey Jkdas,

I do agree beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, and that’s one of the reasons I stick to the statement of “MY’ don’t buy car.

I don’t know from where you got this weird idea that I made this decision 10 yeas back, are you a part time astrologist?? In that case you need to go through you hand book a couple of times more, because you got it wrong mate

For Beauty I would give Tata’s an Above avarege – if that’s what people are looking in a car. For me I look for Quality, and Quality of me is ‘0 PPM’. Name me one car by Tatas which has 0 PPM, this is the reason why they cant sell the so called “Newer TATAs” in the international markets

Why do you think the Tatas cant penetrate into the European , UK or US markets??? The Indica model introduced by Tata in tie up with MG rover in UK is the cheapest car available in the market, but still it cant sell, know why just because of the built Quality.

I want TATA to be the No 1 car manufactures in the world, honestly I adore them and the only way they can do it is by pumping up the Quality..and that is the only way. How do you thing Toyota is No 1 today??? They only reason being they focused on quality. Of course even Mercs and Lexus has had engine problem in the first couple of days on their brand new cars..but how many of them we heard of ?

But for Tatas, show me five owners of any model from TATA who didn’t have any issue in the first 10000km. by Issues I mean , rattling, missing & broken parts, parts flying off in the first couple of days , cardboards in the engine bay, air gushing in the cabin at high speeds, water leaks..etc.

I don’t know how someone can say that a Tata vehicle is cheap? Is it because of the Initial Purchase price? In the long run how may times are you going to end up in the workshop, changing parts, break downs ? The time you lose, the alternate means you resort to, all ads up the expense and at the end the resale value. I bought the Sierra for 5 lakh + and sold it for 1.5 lkh after 5 years. Now , I own a Toyota Qualis RS bought it for 8 lkh + and even now Toyota company is ready to take back the vehicle at 7 lkhs, now that’s what VFM for me.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd March 2008 at 16:12. Reason: Fixed Quote Tag

Old 3rd March 2008, 16:34   #89
Senior - BHPian

I certainly havent had any of the issues you have mentioned so far, the only rattling i had was due to a shoddy accessory shop job, which the TASC has since fixed.
Old 3rd March 2008, 17:13   #90
ajibba

Quote:
I certainly havent had any of the issues you have mentioned so far, the only rattling i had was due to a shoddy accessory shop job, which the TASC has since fixed.
Quote:
There was this sewing machine like sound when the engine was started after a while. they said it was a timing belt issue , and claimed it was sorted out. It wasnt there when we got it back from the TASC, but today morning , the sound was back. Anyway, it goes a while
Greenhorn you had some issue with the timing belt. were you able to sort out why the sound was popping in at intervals?

Most Viewed