Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 10:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Your "Dont Buy" Car

Well. I searched all around and found lots of people asking not to buy one car or the other. Just thought it would of help to a new car buyer if we could put our personal opinions on which cars Not to buy. Please also mention clearly the reason for a "Dont Buy" tag.

Here is my "Dont Buy Car". I know i'm gonna get killed for this.

Code Name:
Maruti Swift LDi

Reason:
- No essential features including even rear wiper (highly necessary for hatches)
- No steering adjustment (i expect that in a hatch at the 5L range)
- Highly mismatching tyres (i think atleast 70% of owners go straight to the accesory shop for an upgrade)
- All Black interiors (Personally i felt it very boring within 5 mins of drive)
- Harsh low speed ride.
- No Rear Parcel Tray!!!! (Common Man. Is 5L so cheap??)
- Rattles Rattles and More Rattles (Well not sure if it has change in new models but that was what i felt in the 3 test drive vehicles (2 Brand new ones waiting for delivery and 1 Test Drive Vehicle))
- Ask for something as small as a digital clock and they'll say its not there on the LDi
- The rear seats are not at all comfortable and is very cramped for long trips. 5 is really a crowd here!

Disclaimer: Everything in this thread is personal opinion based on individual priorities or experiences. There is no intention to down grade or uphold any particular brand/car/person.
Old 29th February 2008, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

And I shall add the Palio Stile 1.1 to that list , the reasons for which have been extensively discussed here !
gemithomas' disclaimers apply to my post too, and lets not start a flame war !

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th February 2008 at 10:17.
Old 29th February 2008, 10:15   #3
BHPian

I don't look at any car with a negative eye.
If I have a set of bare necessities i would rather look at a car i that has those, instead of cribbing about a dozen which don't have them.
Then again, my list would be basic & VFM for the segment & i wouldn't expect a car to have every known feature, not to forget 10 years ago no/few Indian cars had power steering.

Last edited by gendarmee : 29th February 2008 at 10:18.
Old 29th February 2008, 10:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
- Ask for something as small as a digital clock and they'll say its not there on the LDi
My friend didn't get it in VDi also ... not by the courtesy of the dealer too ... no freebies
Old 29th February 2008, 10:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

IMO , right now i can say Swift Ldi , i hope i dont take back this decision after the dezire is launched .
Old 29th February 2008, 10:35   #6
BHPian

Mine is the Santro (provided you're above 5'6" in height). The engine is good but the driving position is so cramped that just five minutes of driving nearly gave me arthritis. Hyundai seems to have something against letting people push the seat back - even the dinky 800 provides more space to try and straighten your legs.

the disclaimer from the first post holds.
Old 29th February 2008, 10:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Mine could be a stretch. Even if I had the money, I would not buy Bentleys/Maybachs/Lamborghinis etc, as I consider them as extreme self-indulgence.
Old 29th February 2008, 10:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well. I searched all around and found lots of people asking not to buy one car or the other. Just thought it would of help to a new car buyer if we could put our personal opinions on which cars Not to buy. Please also mention clearly the reason for a "Dont Buy" tag.

Code Name:
Maruti Swift LDi

Reason:
- No essential features including even rear wiper (highly necessary for hatches)
- Highly mismatching tyres (i think atleast 70% of owners go straight to the accesory shop for an upgrade)
- Harsh low speed ride.
- Rattles Rattles and More Rattles (Well not sure if it has change in new models but that was what i felt in the 3 test drive vehicles (2 Brand new ones waiting for delivery and 1 Test Drive Vehicle))
- The rear seats are not at all comfortable and is very cramped for long trips. 5 is really a crowd here!

Disclaimer: Everything in this thread is personal opinion based on individual priorities or experiences. There is no intention to down grade or uphold any particular brand/car/person.
You forgot the rear window demister! Not in the VDi as well neither optional! Shows the importance given to safety by MSIL.
@Gemithomas: And you did read my mind with the other points here about the LDi!
Old 29th February 2008, 10:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Code Name:
Maruti Swift LDi

Reason:
- Harsh low speed ride.

Gemi,

All the above points holds good for Swift VDi too - well except for the all black interiors. Btw, I am not saying this since I took Swift LDi delivery y'day

I would say that we should all avoid Fiat cars till TASS service advisors atleast know about the Fiat car - am not bothered if the mechanics lack knowledge, as it is true with almost all the brands, but service advisors should be good enough.

- SKB.
Old 29th February 2008, 10:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
You forgot the rear window demister! Not in the VDi as well neither optional! Shows the importance given to safety by MSIL.
That is criminal!Not that I have anything against the car.
Old 29th February 2008, 11:35   #11
BHPian

M 800, OMNI for safety reasons. Either make them safe or discontinue. People buy it for city usage and end up taking it on high ways without realizing the consequences.
Old 29th February 2008, 12:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
M 800, OMNI for safety reasons. Either make them safe or discontinue. People buy it for city usage and end up taking it on high ways without realizing the consequences.

I would disagree with you on one topic. I feel that the 800 is quite safe and I drive mostly on the highway. its how you tame her.

Regarding OMNI, Yes brother I agree with you 200% that it is one of the most dangerous cars around and seriously a 'DONT BUY' car. I have seen people getting squashed because of the absence of a crumple zone in the front, and it is too tall a car to have such small tyres.
Old 29th February 2008, 12:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

The only car I would not buy is my own, cause I already own it.

personally I don't like this thread!

It has nothing that is not already discussed and contains a great potential for a flame war.
In general, one has a set of constraints and then compares which car matches most of them and buy it.
If he cannot afford the features, then the seconds market is checked.

But to just dismiss a car one does not like and speak ill of it.
I don't like it.
Old 29th February 2008, 12:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

my dont buy car is the omni.. its literally a box on wheels and in an event of a crash frm the front. ur legs are gng to get hurt first.

if India had the law for safety as the US ppl do.. this box on wheels would have discountinued way long ago.
Old 29th February 2008, 12:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The only car I would not buy is my own, cause I already own it.

personally I don't like this thread!

It has nothing that is not already discussed and contains a great potential for a flame war.
In general, one has a set of constraints and then compares which car matches most of them and buy it.
If he cannot afford the features, then the seconds market is checked.

But to just dismiss a car one does not like and speak ill of it.
I don't like it.
Hey! Thats not the intention. Every car has goods and bads. Simmilarly every person has his priorities. Thats why the title itself says "Your". It is a personal choice and personal opinion which depends on what your priorities are. The thread is intended to give you insights to other ways of looking at a particular car.

For example though "my" dont buy car is the swift Ldi. There mught be someone who feels that its the best in the market becuase of its engine, mileage, price, A.S.S, shape. If those are his priorities and he does not bother about what i mentioned in the first post, its his choice. But this thread would make him aware the other way of looking at things. i think it would help in a more informed decision.

Last edited by gemithomas : 29th February 2008 at 12:29.

Most Viewed