Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2008, 00:01   #76

In America people are trying to run car by water - The Spirit Of Ma'at

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2008 at 00:32. Reason: URL linked. COLOR tags removed.
Old 14th April 2008, 00:36   #77
Team-BHP Support

additive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnan View Post
In America people are trying to run car by water
Where'd you get that piece of information?
I looked through the website and all I found was this - Blue Sky - Fuel Conditioner - which is a fuel additive.
Old 14th April 2008, 11:57   #78
BHPian

Shell Petrol premium now cost 60.25 in Bangalore.
Old 14th April 2008, 16:19   #79
Senior - BHPian

Government of India is not subsidizing fuel to either shell or Reliance. Hence the prices have gone up. I believe Reliance is selling all its outlet and withdrawing from retailing petrol/diesel.
Old 14th April 2008, 19:37   #80
BHPian

This is about my trip to Ooty/Coonoor I did last week.

One day before the trip, I filled at Shell upto autocut.

One day before my return, I filled at some BP petrol pump in Ooty, again upto autocut. It took 28 liters for 407 km giving me FE of 14.53.

I was surprised and worried because the least my Sparky has given me is 15.3 km/L in rough city driving. During my trips to Hogenakkal, Shivanasamudra, Shimoga, Shirsi etc, she has given 16.5 - 18 km/L. I thought those 36 HP bends and some horrible roads at Coonoor sightseeing were the culprits.

Then, after my return journey, I again filled upto autocut at my favourite Shell at Mysore road. To my horror, my Sparky took 18.7 liters for 276 kms giving me 14.7 km/L.

I am 100% sure the BP petrol pump in Ooty has robbed me 2 - 3 liters out of 28 liters .

Furthermore, at my onward journey I did 120 - 140 kmph easily on Mysore road. Engine felt butter smooth and there was absolutely no noise/vibrations. But on return journey, I could not hit above 100 on the same Mysore road - at anything above 80, I could hear engine noise and I was very uncomfortable.

At the end, I feel, one should be very very lucky to get good quality and quantity fuel at these BP/IBP/HP petrol pumps.
Old 14th April 2008, 20:47   #81
Senior - BHPian

Shell is selling its premium fuel in chennai at approx. INR 59/- per liter. I happened to speak to the manager at the bunk (was thanking him for arranging 4 liters of synth oil for me) and he mentioned that prices are revised by Rs.2/- every 15 days or so.

Last time i filled shell premium was in Jan'08 for around INR 51.20/- per liter. In 4 months the prices have rocketed by around 8 bucks. Explains why they have very less crowd now. But the quality of fuel rocks. Have to give that to them.
Old 15th April 2008, 06:28   #82
Senior - BHPian

Relinace closing down.

My father is in Relinace, Vadodara and in this city they are also sellling Auto LPG where they are doing brisk business, so they will be shutting down 900 of its 1400 outlets and at others, the chacne of selling petrol or diesel is very less, and mostly they will be selling Auto LPG.

Its really unfair, that now I wont be able to get quality and quantity.
Its like paying less and getting cheated with less quantity of fuel, and paying more and getting proper quantity and fantastic quality.
Old 15th April 2008, 11:45   #83
BANNED

Guys forget that.

Yesterday SHELL has again hiked the prices of Diesel by "Rs 51/-" per litre.

ATROCIOUS is not the appropriate word i find.

Why ?
Old 15th April 2008, 13:13   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Why ?
Pavan, according to what i heard from the shell manager (at one of the bunks in chennai) the fuel is shipped from Phillipines to Chennai (sometimes from other parts of Asia also). They get no subsidies from the Govt. and also are not compensated for any losses by providing oil bonds. The rise in crude oil prices is passed on to the consumer.
Old 15th April 2008, 13:15   #85
Senior - BHPian

hmmm ... fuel costs getting closer to 100. not a good sign
Old 15th April 2008, 14:07   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Pavan, according to what i heard from the shell manager (at one of the bunks in chennai) the fuel is shipped from Phillipines to Chennai (sometimes from other parts of Asia also).
The station manager seems to be misinformed. Shell gets its fuel from refineries in India only. In south India the fuel is procured from the MRPL refinery in Mangalore.

Independent confirmation here: The Hindu : Business / Briefly : MRPL, Shell sign product supply agreement
Old 16th April 2008, 18:45   #87
BHPian

The service at shell is incomparable. You'll never get the same at any other bunk. Used to fill the regular one, never found any difference with the Shell super.
But paying so much extra for fuel..... not worth. I'd rather go to IOC, but then you've got to be more alert when you go to these bunks. The guys'll be waiting to cheat you with the quantity.
Old 16th April 2008, 19:01   #88
Senior - BHPian

shell is currently 58.80 in chennai are they increasing prices every other week ?
Old 16th April 2008, 19:24   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
shell is currently 58.80 in chennai are they increasing prices every other week ?
Personally I'd prefer IOC anyday!! The bunk near your house is GOOD!
Old 18th April 2008, 17:09   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Personally I'd prefer IOC anyday!! The bunk near your house is GOOD!
Is this the writing on the wall for Shell? Are they going the same way as Reliance? I don't see how they can survive with the current scenario and strategy. It seems unlikely that the public will shell-out (no pun intended) extra hard-earned lucre just because their service is superior, and even if their fuel is proven better and more consistent, it's hardly a deciding factor.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed