Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2008, 00:18   #31
BHPian

I guess Fiat is not going to phase out Palio 1.6 till 2010 atleast. Its fact that only passionate riders take the fiat 1.6 beast. It just rocks. I had a test drive of 1.6 last year and I was like wrrrrrrooooooooooooom!!!
Old 3rd March 2008, 02:12   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
No ways has time or technology blunted the Palio 1.6

Its engine is a gem, infact the 1.6 engine is so ahead of its time that no other small cars engine comes close to it. Can anyone tell me about a DOHC hatch? The Palio 1.6 is a fantastic product, let down only by Fiats A.S.S and poor marketting.

Also i really dont believe one thing about the article, the fact that it reaches 100 kmph 5 secs slower, 2.5 secs is more like it.
Errr, I think the Fabia 1.4 16V is a DOHC mill. Is as quick as Palio. UK website has posted 12.3s for the 0-100 kmph dash.
Old 3rd March 2008, 03:03   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Errr, I think the Fabia 1.4 16V is a DOHC mill. Is as quick as Palio. UK website has posted 12.3s for the 0-100 kmph dash.
I think you "erred" there my friend. Palio does the 0-100 km/h dash in about 11.17 secs. Add to that, the Fabia clocking 12.3 seconds for the 0-100 dash may not hold true in India. The engine may have been detuned to suit our Indian fuel. In any case, the very fact that the Fabia thing costs almost 2-2.5 Lakhs more than the Palio throws it completely out of the picture here. Even if could match the Palio's timings, it just would'nt be worth comparing.
Old 3rd March 2008, 08:56   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
I think you "erred" there my friend. Palio does the 0-100 km/h dash in about 11.17 secs. Add to that, the Fabia clocking 12.3 seconds for the 0-100 dash may not hold true in India. The engine may have been detuned to suit our Indian fuel. In any case, the very fact that the Fabia thing costs almost 2-2.5 Lakhs more than the Palio throws it completely out of the picture here. Even if could match the Palio's timings, it just would'nt be worth comparing.
And the petrol is not launched as yet.
Old 3rd March 2008, 15:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
And the petrol is not launched as yet.
I thought the 1.4 petrol and diesel have been launched. Its the bottom end 1.2 petrol that will be launched in some time? Atleast the brochure says that 1.4 petrol is available. Am I missing something here?
Old 3rd March 2008, 17:40   #36
Team-BHP Support

time and technology has blunted the Palio or not, it still brings a smile on an enthusiast's face seven years after its launch. its still the only hot hatch available and at the current price its a steal. it is beyond comparison... the double barrel headlamps, magnetti marelli ECU, the veglia borletti instrument cluster, the rear view mirror clamped to the windshield, the sweet exhaust note, the power at high revs, the poise at high speeds, the handling... I can go on forever...
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

When the Palio 1.3 MJD is out, I want them to revisit the comparison test.
Old 4th March 2008, 00:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
I guess Fiat is not going to phase out Palio 1.6 till 2010 atleast. Its fact that only passionate riders take the fiat 1.6 beast. It just rocks. I had a test drive of 1.6 last year and I was like wrrrrrrooooooooooooom!!!
Fiat India chief was mentioning a couple of months back on some TV channel that 1.6 will be phased out by mid 2009, if I recall correctly.
Old 4th March 2008, 12:18   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemarauder View Post
Fiat India chief was mentioning a couple of months back on some TV channel that 1.6 will be phased out by mid 2009, if I recall correctly.
I'm about to buy a Palio Stile 1.6....is it worth to buy now! Do you think IF it phases out...will there be any A.S.S issues or with the parts?

My problem is at the moment I cant exceed my budget over 5Lac to go for 1.3MJD and I cant think of any Marutis or Hundais or chevies after i've gotta look on Palio Stile 1.6 and all the wonderful reviews u guyz gave in TBHP!

Darn..my heart is full on to Palio 1.6
Old 5th March 2008, 11:48   #40
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
I'm about to buy a Palio Stile 1.6....is it worth to buy now! Do you think IF it phases out...will there be any A.S.S issues or with the parts?
Hi Rudrah,

You need not worry about this. I don't beleive that Fiat will be phasing out the 1.6 so soon. Not for atleast 2 years. Even if they do, they would be obliged to provide for the spare parts for the next 5 years.

Go ahead with your buy. You won't regret it.
Old 5th March 2008, 13:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
.........Even if they do, they would be obliged to provide for the spare parts for the next 5 years.
Can you please provide the basis and source of this information?
Old 5th March 2008, 14:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Can you please provide the basis and source of this information?
Any manufacturing co. which wishes discontinues any vehicle is, under obligation to provide the spare parts for the same for atlest 10 yrs in India. I guess its a law.
Please correct me guys if i'm wrong.
Old 5th March 2008, 17:32   #43
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Any manufacturing co. which wishes discontinues any vehicle is, under obligation to provide the spare parts for the same for atlest 10 yrs in India. I guess its a law.
Please correct me guys if i'm wrong.
I am sure that there is such a law, but I am not sure about the time frame (5 yrs/ 10 yrs)
Old 5th March 2008, 17:56   #44
BHPian

Yes there is a law thats what I read. Even when I mailed my concerns at the time of buying Palio to FIAT, they confirmed that spares will be availalbe for 10 years from the date of discontinueing of the model.

This is the reply I got from FIAT for my query.

Dear Mahadev

Company doesnot have any plan to stop palio 1.6 sport as of now. The most important thing regarding the spares availability is that the company caters to all the dealers the parts minimum 10 years and above.Fiat is 100 year old company having the business in Auto Industry in 17 countries.

Be rest assured about the availability of spares.

I hope you will enjoy the pleasure of driving FIAT PRODUCT having high power and Torque.

Regards.
Vivek Kulkarni
Sales & Marketing
Fiat India Pvt. Ltd
Old 5th March 2008, 17:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

@mahadev... Can you please PM me the email id of Mr Vivek Kulkarni, thanks!

Most Viewed