Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:00   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Not just because of it's price. Less expensive cars & hatchbacks have better configurations & more juice.

TD's of both - the Vista QJ & the Fiesta TDCi are fresh in the mind. The Fiesta definitely feels under-powered.
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:25   #212
Senior - BHPian

I agree for a sedan of 8lac plus (OTR) Fiesta does need a 1.6 TDCI badly. But question is how much will be the price increase for 1.6!!! The top end SXI 1.4 TDCI already breaches the 9 lacs(OTR) , so Ford has to be careful in pricing.

OT : Hyundai did a great job for minimal price diff between 1.1 i10 and 1.2 Kappa i10. I hope Ford learns a lesson from that.
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:14   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Eddy, the Fiesta has either a 1.4L TDCI - or a 1.6 Petrol. The 1.6L TDCi is not available.
Sorry should have been clear earlier - I meant among Ford's worldwide engine range, they have only 1.4L and 1.6L Duratorq diesel engines compatible with the Fiesta. There are no 1.3L or 1.5L engine options, and I doubt the Indian market is big enough to justify Ford investing into designing new engines.

Quote:
TD's of both - the Vista QJ & the Fiesta TDCi are fresh in the mind. The Fiesta definitely feels under-powered.
True, but it depends on one's priorities/driving style. Like if you run around the city alone you will never run out of steam, and the reverse if you do frequent high-speed highway runs. All said and done the 1.6 TDCi would be a better balanced option for both cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I agree for a sedan of 8lac plus (OTR) Fiesta does need a 1.6 TDCI badly. But question is how much will be the price increase for 1.6!!! The top end SXI 1.4 TDCI already breaches the 9 lacs(OTR) , so Ford has to be careful in pricing.
When Ford launches the refreshed Ikon, the main USP of the Fiesta - its frugal diesel engine - is now shifted to a lower end car. Just as how the average layman doesn't understand the difference between cars like the dZire and SX4, when both have the same features.. a similar fate will meet the Fiesta once the newer Ikon hits the showrooms. The only way they can justify the price gap to a common man is putting in a bigger engine and maintaining existing prices.
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:24   #214
Team-BHP Support

So as not to prolong Condor's agony further, i wish Ford India launch the TDCi on the Ikon at the earliest, so he can arrive at a decision.

Between, how did the Fusion fare with the same engine, in terms of sales, and also mileage? I assume the Fusion weighs more than the Fiesta, and so should have returned lower mileage figures than the Fiesta TDCi.

@Crazy_Eddy : In addition to the frugal attribute, i believe refinement can also be added to the pluses of the engine.
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:51   #215
BHPian

OT:

In my apartment,a couple of employees of Ford India (do not know their positions) have got Brand New spanking Ford Fiesta Sxi TDCI in Jewel Violet and Black colours.

Green with Envy :-(
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:55   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajiv View Post
In my apartment,a couple of employees of Ford India (do not know their positions) have got Brand New spanking Ford Fiesta Sxi TDCI in Jewel Violet and Black colours.
Could it be that they are giving away models with the outgoing engine to employees (probably at special prices) in preparation for the launch of the new engine?
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:13   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
@Crazy_Eddy : In addition to the frugal attribute, i believe refinement can also be added to the pluses of the engine.
Gotta appreciate the refinement of the TDCI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Could it be that they are giving away models with the outgoing engine to employees (probably at special prices) in preparation for the launch of the new engine?
Surely sounds a lil fishy. That too Ikon TDCI launch is in Nov. Lets wait and see .
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:28   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

A possible course of action by Ford could be something like : Launch Ikon 1.4TDCi, Stop Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - but continue the Fiesta 1.6 Duratec's.

The Fiesta 1.6 TDCi can then be launched with a bang, after the SX-4 Diesel (will help to get their pricing right)

OT: @ben, thank you !

Last edited by condor : 22nd September 2008 at 17:30.
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:46   #219
BHPian

Quote:

Spot on,Steer.I will confirm this tomorrow if i get a chance to talk to them.

But,the new look for Fiesta is really cool compareed to the plain jane old ones.
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:27   #220
BHPian

Why is Ford being so lazy and taking a lot of time in launching Ikon diesel?

If it is testing, then what are they testing

An engine, which is few years old in Indian market
Or Car, which is decades old in market

Wake up Ford

As for Fiesta, One of my friend is in Sales of Ford in Delhi and as per him despite the new looks and good additional features than Verna, the sales of the car is all time low.

Might be Dzire Zdi (Extreme VFM), Killing all the market of Verna and Fiesta.

Ford: To save Fiesta, plonk 1.6
Hyundai: To save Verna, plonk ABS and Airbags as standard for such power and segment
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:18   #221
BHPian

AFAIK, the previous offer to the Ford Employees/ their immediate relatives was Rs 1.5L discount on the Petrol and 2L discount on the Diesel.
This offer was on the out-going model though.

Quote:
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:22   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_budhiraj View Post
Why is Ford being so lazy and taking a lot of time in launching Ikon diesel?

If it is testing, then what are they testing

An engine, which is few years old in Indian market
Or Car, which is decades old in market
Ford India have this wait and watch policy. They have been mooting a small car for the better part of a decade now. Last heard they are still undecided
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:28   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Ford India have this wait and watch policy. They have been mooting a small car for the better part of a decade now. Last heard they are still undecided
Good one! This despite them having test mules on the road for the small car. Whatever's taking them so long?!
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:57   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A possible course of action by Ford could be something like : Launch Ikon 1.4TDCi, Stop Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - but continue the Fiesta 1.6 Duratec's.

The Fiesta 1.6 TDCi can then be launched with a bang, after the SX-4 Diesel (will help to get their pricing right)

Already Fiesta sales are not at its peak i can imagine if they stop the 1.4 tdci and wait for few months and launch the 1.6 TDCI. No point waiting for SX4 diesel cos that should take sometime. Ford should think of taking the advantage before the SX4 diesel launch and anyways maruti waiting period will also boost Fiesta 1.6 TDCI sales.
Old 24th September 2008, 12:06   #225
BHPian

Is it still good to go for Ford Ikon Flair 1.3 ? Iam planning to buy a Sedan within 5.5L and my only options seems to be this.Sorry for taking this out of Topic though.

Thanks

Most Viewed