Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2008, 00:19   #151
BHPian

not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread yet, but the ikon and fiesta are already from the same family. something like ikon is the 5th generation and fiesta 6th. india is the only market where both generations are sold side by side. in SA i believe what's being sold under the name *ikon* is what we call fiesta here....

so point is that all they are doing is taking the older generation body, making a few cosmetic changes, probably doing up the interiors and plonking the new gen engine in it. *maybe* throw in some additional features like ABS.
Old 14th August 2008, 00:21   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread yet, but the ikon and fiesta are already from the same family. something like ikon is the 5th generation and fiesta 6th. india is the only market where both generations are sold side by side. in SA i believe what's being sold under the name *ikon* is what we call fiesta here....

so point is that all they are doing is taking the older generation body, making a few cosmetic changes, probably doing up the interiors and plonking the new gen engine in it. *maybe* throw in some additional features like ABS.
Whats the problem I might ask. Older platform being sold at lower price point.
Old 14th August 2008, 02:29   #153
BHPian

The un-rakish A pillars remind you of the early 80s. The front looks weird, it simply doesn't hide the fact that this car is terribly outdated. The bumper looks muscular, but what about those weedy tires?
Instead of focusing on the exteriors, they should improve the interiors. The ones sold in Brazil and SA had better interiors.
It's been almost a decade since this car was launched and ford should focus on reducing spare prices. It's high time Ford focused on quality, otherwise their attempt to revive this car will prove futile, esp. when you compare it to the dzire.
Old 14th August 2008, 17:31   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Whats the problem I might ask. Older platform being sold at lower price point.
never said there is a problem. i think it's a good idea to take the exterior which lots of folks in india probably associate with certain positives (which made it quite a hot seller) and put in a good new engine. i think the ikon has pretty good styling even compared to some of the newer cars in the same price range... it's a little more aggressive than the fiesta IMO.
Old 14th August 2008, 17:33   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalpaste View Post
The un-rakish A pillars remind you of the early 80s. The front looks weird, it simply doesn't hide the fact that this car is terribly outdated. The bumper looks muscular, but what about those weedy tires?
Instead of focusing on the exteriors, they should improve the interiors. The ones sold in Brazil and SA had better interiors.
It's been almost a decade since this car was launched and ford should focus on reducing spare prices. It's high time Ford focused on quality, otherwise their attempt to revive this car will prove futile, esp. when you compare it to the dzire.
as i said, the present ikon still looks pretty good. as for spare prices, i'm not sure how they compare with other manufacturers, but the spares prices have dropped considerably over the years. i know because i own an ikon. not sure why the expensive ikon spares myth still persists.
Old 14th August 2008, 19:32   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Let me guess.. in your opinion the Dezire is good-looking?!
At the current price point at which the Ikon Flair is placed, it does seem a good proposition.
Old 14th August 2008, 19:48   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any day the ikon looks better than dzire. I'am not telling this as I own an Ikon. If you make the two cars stand side by side, and ask people which they would prefer, you will have the answers. As far as the spare parts are concerned, it has come down from a high to satisfactory levels. Yes, it may be around 10~20% higher than its MSIL counterparts, but the vehicle is more sturdy than Dzire. The build quality if ford is much better than Dzire as in ikon you will find no rattles and its quite inside the cabin. Test this for yourself.
Old 14th August 2008, 20:12   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Any day the ikon looks better than dzire. I'am not telling this as I own an Ikon. If you make the two cars stand side by side, and ask people which they would prefer, you will have the answers. As far as the spare parts are concerned, it has come down from a high to satisfactory levels. Yes, it may be around 10~20% higher than its MSIL counterparts, but the vehicle is more sturdy than Dzire. The build quality if ford is much better than Dzire as in ikon you will find no rattles and its quite inside the cabin. Test this for yourself.
I 2nd that. Compared to the dzire the ikon is miles ahead.
Its got better ride quality and handling than the dzire.
It looks so much better than the dzire.
Only part is that the ikon has been here for a long time and the dzire has just come out.
Old 14th August 2008, 20:22   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
I 2nd that. Compared to the dzire the ikon is miles ahead.
Its got better ride quality and handling than the dzire.
It looks so much better than the dzire.
Only part is that the ikon has been here for a long time and the dzire has just come out.
I 3rd that . Ikon is miles ahead of Dezire in all aspects. The interior trims in the new Ikon are way ahead of MSIL products.

Btw, This Monday i got my car checked at Lathangi Ford ,Bangalaore. Those guys confirm that Ikon 1.4 diesel will be launch by end of this year.

-Vaspro
Old 14th August 2008, 20:34   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
I 3rd that . Ikon is miles ahead of Dezire in all aspects. The interior trims in the new Ikon are way ahead of MSIL products.

Btw, This Monday i got my car checked at Lathangi Ford ,Bangalaore. Those guys confirm that Ikon 1.4 diesel will be launch by end of this year.

-Vaspro
I 4th That The ikon is a fantastic car. I agree the spare prices were atrociously priced but now they have seen a drastic reduction in prices.

I got the same info from Metro Ford too and this time service was a fantastic experience (not that I had problems ever) but this time it was really good. lets see what the price point is.
Old 14th August 2008, 20:58   #161
Senior - BHPian

@vaspro: How is the servicing and over experience at Lathangi Ford. Would like to give in for servicng of my car at Lathangi next time.
Old 14th August 2008, 21:09   #162
BHPian

lol dzire better looking than ikon? thats news to me.

not sure about the dzire and swift but the ikon doesn't rattle at all even after 50k km...
Old 14th August 2008, 21:27   #163
TOR
BHPian

The moot question would be how the 'new' to be launched Ikon will compare to the Dzire.If the question is about profile of the cars then the Ikon certainly comes across as a great 'sedan shape'. But maybe in this world of nonconformists the Dzire might stand out.Then again 'looks' are such a subjective matter!
Old 14th August 2008, 21:40   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I 4th That The ikon is a fantastic car.
I 5th that!!. I have driven it for 5 years now and it has been fantanstic all along.

Compared to the Ikon, the Fiesta is a failure. Ford should have probably spruced up the Ikon instead of bringing in the Fiesta.
Old 15th August 2008, 02:19   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
I 5th that!!. I have driven it for 5 years now and it has been fantanstic all along.

Compared to the Ikon, the Fiesta is a failure. Ford should have probably spruced up the Ikon instead of bringing in the Fiesta.
Yeah, though an old one it still makes a fantastic car, I like the responsive steering and suspension on this one.
Last year when we got this car, all people with no exception said it was a terrible buy quoting that its an old car, but i didnt think fiesta would be better infact the good rear seating and a couple other things made me go in for the ikon over the fiesta, plus it was most bang for the buck. i just wished that it came with a diesel engine back then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks