Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2008, 03:22   #166
Senior - BHPian

I don't 6th that. I am an Ikon owner and hence my thought is supposed to be biassed. However the Dzire and the Ikon looks to be from different schools of design. There may be many admirers of the Dzire way of presenting itself.

Regarding the build quality, I cant comment on the Dzire, as I have yet not seen it. But compared to Swift the Ikon is actually miles ahead. Now unles the Dzire build quality is higher than its hatchback sister I dont see it better than the Ikon. There shouldn't be much in the FE figures either. Spare part prices, I have heard has greatly gone down as well.

But will people want to buy an old car?
Old 15th August 2008, 04:02   #167
Senior - BHPian

No matter what, Ikon is a shape that has been around for 5+ years so it will be considered better than Swift or Dezire. Ford should do something about it.
Old 15th August 2008, 05:10   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
i just wished that it came with a diesel engine back then.
When was the 1.9D taken off the production line? Not that I thought it was a good engine, but i havent heard much complaints about it.
Old 15th August 2008, 06:34   #169
BHPian

The sporty steering on the Ikon is something not found in any other car in its class. Instead of replicating the good things like steering on the Fiesta, the Ford guys messed up the same with cheaper substitues. Same with the interiors where the chrome has been replaced with cheap aluminum.
Old 15th August 2008, 10:24   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
When was the 1.9D taken off the production line? Not that I thought it was a good engine, but i havent heard much complaints about it.
If you are talking about the ikon it came with a 1.8d and they stopped production of the engine when the BS III norms came into effect as it could not meet the new emission norms. OT : The zen d and esteem d also stopped production at the same time.
Old 15th August 2008, 11:20   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Would have loved to get the 1800cc diesel one but at that time only the flair was available, 1.6 and 1.8 were not in production. plus getting a petrol fiesta was like getting the same minus some features plus 2 lakh rupees, and I found the ikon to be sportier to drive than the fiesta.
Some one even suggested that i sell the ikon and get a Indigo CS dicor, but that doesnt even come with power windows or power steering or remote locking or a cd player.
Old 15th August 2008, 11:35   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, though an old one it still makes a fantastic car, I like the responsive steering and suspension on this one.
IMO, te steering is OK and suspension is not one of the best. Whenever I lower into the pothole, it has unusually "thud" sound. I hope this is common in most of the ikons around.
Old 15th August 2008, 12:22   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
IMO, te steering is OK and suspension is not one of the best. Whenever I lower into the pothole, it has unusually "thud" sound. I hope this is common in most of the ikons around.
Yeah, common. found the same thing happen with a swift.
I agree that its not the best suspension, its lasts though.
There, I was comparing it too the fiesta, i found the ikon's suspension better. Also, my mechi said that the ikon can be driven off the road(muddy roads ect) comfortably to an extent but not the fiesta which i agree with now.
I don't know, must just be me..that i find the steering on the ikon very very responsive. i find the braking weird though.
Old 15th August 2008, 21:05   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
I 2nd that. Compared to the dzire the ikon is miles ahead.
Its got better ride quality and handling than the dzire.
It looks so much better than the dzire.
Only part is that the ikon has been here for a long time and the dzire has just come out.
I had an Ikon too. It doesn't rattle and it's build quality is fantastic. I was referring to the new ikon, the face lifted ikon looks a bit too outspoken and brash from the front, if you get what I mean.
The ikon handles exceptionally well, in fact I think that it has a sharper chassis than the fiesta.
The dzire is uglier than the ikon. But, i completely disagree with people who pass comments like "the ikon is sturdier". When ford launched the ikon in India, they omited several features from the ikon: the indian ikon has a cheaper suspension setup, a substantially lower torsional rigidity as compared to the old Brazilian fiesta and I don't think it will comply with the upcoming crash safety norms. The dzire is much safer than the ikon.
Old 15th August 2008, 21:11   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah, though an old one it still makes a fantastic car, I like the responsive steering and suspension on this one.
Last year when we got this car, all people with no exception said it was a terrible buy quoting that its an old car, but i didnt think fiesta would be better infact the good rear seating and a couple other things made me go in for the ikon over the fiesta, plus it was most bang for the buck. i just wished that it came with a diesel engine back then.
How i wished the TDCi engine was available on the Ikon when i bought mine. Would have opted for it.

The steering and the handling are among the major pluses for the Ikon. That it is a sedan (boot space) and decent rear seat space are added benefits.
Old 15th August 2008, 21:17   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
decent rear seat space
You call that decent ?

It is, by a huge margin, the best in its class.
Old 15th August 2008, 21:33   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalpaste View Post
the indian ikon has a cheaper suspension setup, a substantially lower torsional rigidity as compared to the old Brazilian fiesta
"nxt" took care of that.
Old 15th August 2008, 22:00   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
You call that decent ?

Eddy, that was an attempt at putting my point forward quite humbly.
Old 16th August 2008, 00:49   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
You call that decent ?

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
How i wished the TDCi engine was available on the Ikon when i bought mine. Would have opted for it.

The steering and the handling are among the major pluses for the Ikon. That it is a sedan (boot space) and decent rear seat space are added benefits.
Now while geting the ikon we were thinking about the Swift Crdi too, but owing too the small boot space, cramped rear seating and a frigging 6 months waiting period that it got completely sidelined, though diesel.
And when we use the car, 4-6 ppl driving in it, so it had to have good rear space, ikon had the most, even the fiesta looked cramped comparatively.

Coming back to the topic, hope FORD doesn't change these few bit of good things about the IKON in the newer version and hope it doesn't badge a new car as ikon like how maruti did with the Zen (estillo)
Old 16th August 2008, 13:00   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
as i said, the present ikon still looks pretty good. as for spare prices, i'm not sure how they compare with other manufacturers, but the spares prices have dropped considerably over the years. i know because i own an ikon. not sure why the expensive ikon spares myth still persists.
Myth? Buddy I coughed up 3.3K for replacing the Combination Switch (The Lights, Wiper Stalk)
Issue: Brake Light, Parking Lights Now functioning
Reason For Replacement: That C thingy is not servicable

Then paid 7K to fix the AC Compressor. The word "Repair" = "Replace ONLY" in Ford A.S.S

Otherwise it's an excellent car, I absolutely love it and that's the reason I still pay these huge bills and have it. But we can't expect the general car buying public to love their cars and be ready to pay huge service bills you see

So unless Ford addresses the maintenance cost issue people will stay away from it. I think GM tried to address this for the Optra through some Extended Warranty or ZERO maintenance package.

P.S: If someone from Ford is reading this post- You have spoiled the looks of the Ford Ikon (From what I saw on the Spy Pic).

Most Viewed