Team-BHP - Ford Ikon Flair to have 1.4TDCI and Fiesta to have 1.6TDCI
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Ford Ikon Flair to have 1.4TDCI and Fiesta to have 1.6TDCI (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/36326-ford-ikon-flair-have-1-4tdci-fiesta-have-1-6tdci.html)

As per AUTOCAR, Ford shall launch a diesel version of ikon with 1.4 diesel engine, probably the one doing duty in Fiesta.
The car would take on growing diesel segment in economy class sedans & premium hatches eg. Swift(dzire included), logan, Fabia etc.
But, considering it a ten year old car, with current sales in trickles, will Ford India be able to see the charts booming?

The article also mentioned cosmetic upgrades to the exterior and interiors. More importantly there's a possibility of a fresh cockpit as well. With these changes, given what a beauty the fiesta diesel is to drive, ford should have a winner on their hands, atleast on paper.
I'm pretty certain that with the right pricing, the ikon 1.4 diesel could garner a fair share of the mid size diesel saloon segment. Inspite of it being a ten year old design, i still think the ikon can hold its own amongst the more modern cars in terms of styling.
Lets just hope the brakes are upgraded to keep up with the superior performance of the diesel powertrain.

i had wondered a long time back in some thread why Ford was not doing it. seems they finally woke up. now all that remains is they price it sensibly. all said and done, india is still a market where you can flog an older platform to death and beyond, if the all important mileage factor is addressed. of course the ikon is fundamentally a sound product.

Good news but would this happen?

If it does happen

1) The nostalgia that Ford discontinues old models will end
2) Fiesta TDCi wont sell much
3) They will have to bring 1.6 TDCi for Fiesta

Nice news. This means the Ikon's days are not as numbered as believed.

good move...but probably 5 years late. but better late than never.

Good news. Hope the prices of A** & spares will also come down with this.

the question will be pricing? will it be able to price competitively against Dzire, Indigo diesels? Nevertheless, nice move by Ford India.. it was long overdue

Good move by ford but lets hope the prices are not as high as 6lacs+

They will have to bring the 1.6 TDCi and i think Fiesta. 1.4 TDCi will be discontinued and people who want better build new model and design + safety features will opt for Fiesta 1.6TDCi.

OR

They will bring the 1.6TDCi and retain 1.4TDCi at lower entry level price but then they will have to price 1.4TDCi Flair at 5.5 - 5.6 lacs and Fiesta 1.4TDCi will take the 6 lacs pricing.

Confusing init! :uncontrol

They probably did not think of it earlier because it would have eaten in to the fiesta's sales-their money crop.

If they actually plonk the 1.4 TDCI in ikon i'm pretty sure the fiesta would get the 1.6 TDCI.

I would also be pretty surprised if they manage to price the revamped ikon with the 1.4 any less than 6 lacs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhibh (Post 742887)
Good move by ford but lets hope the prices are not as high as 6lacs+

They will have to bring the 1.6 TDCi and i think Fiesta. 1.4 TDCi will be discontinued and people who want better build new model and design + safety features will opt for Fiesta 1.6TDCi.

OR

They will bring the 1.6TDCi and retain 1.4TDCi at lower entry level price but then they will have to price 1.4TDCi Flair at 5.5 - 5.6 lacs and Fiesta 1.4TDCi will take the 6 lacs pricing.

Confusing init! :uncontrol

Lol, very confusing!! Hopefully Ford will keep it simple, with the 1.4 in the Ikon and the 1.6 in the Fiesta with more optional features like ABS, Airbags etc.

If they introduced the new ikon with more optonal features like ABS,airbags etc then what will be the price?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerish666 (Post 742926)
If they introduced the new ikon with more optonal features like ABS,airbags etc then what will be the price?

Enough to reduce its sales potential by 3/4th.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerish666 (Post 742926)

Like MAG said, it probably wouldn't be feasible adding these features at his stage (i.e so late in a products life cycle) would be a huge cost addition. This would probably pull the Ikon out of the VFM bracket that its slotted into right now. More importantly, Ford would want customers who wish to have these additional features to consider the more expensive Fiesta, rather than give them a cheaper option.

Probabaly, ford must be having an eye on the number of swift sales(diesel variant).
I hope ford does an indigo CS on their ikon.