Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2008, 12:31   #16
BHPian

I just gave my DL test last weekend and am will be getting the DL this week (yippee).
My experience with driving school:
I joined a school named Anusree Driving school in BTM Lyt, Bangalore. Paid 2400. 16 classes for 30 mins each.
The driver: The driver would invariably come drunk every day to teach. He told me the basics of driving - how to use steering, how to put 1-R gears.
The classes: Mainly taught only steering control. Never allowed to drive on speeds above 20 kmph though he had brake controls. 15 mins classes for reversing, 5 mins - 1 signal - training for taking the vehicle on an incline without going back.
No mention about half clutch, no mention about how to turn or anything else.

After finishing the classes, I tried driving a friend's Alto, and that is when I understood the term half clutch and realized i was never trained on that by the driving school
(probably the most important thing in bangalore's bumper to bumper traffic)!!! I ended up scratching my friend's car and never felt like asking for his car again to drive!

The only way I see I can learn driving is buying a car and trying for 15-20 days early in the morning till I am comfortable.

Are all school's the same: NO
My friend learnt it in Rider driving school, somewhere around JP Nagar. He was taught half clutch properly. He was told how to turn properly. etc... his experience was much better than mine.

DL test learning: When I went for the DL test, there were others who had come from the same driving school (Anusree) who told that they were trained very well on half-clutching and reversing and their instructor was very good.

Conclusion: Depends on your luck, if you get a good instructor.
Old 5th March 2008, 13:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

How is Mani Motor Driving school ?
Old 5th March 2008, 14:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
Not much idea about this nikhil. It is best to check with someone who has attended classes there.

I have also heard of some schools giving some theory lessons on how engine, clutch etc works. Don't know to what detail they teach, but I am assuming it must be something practical which comes handy in case there is some minor trouble with car on road.
Old 5th March 2008, 15:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

My wife is currently taking driving classes,seems to be Ok from what she says.

But one thing I found odd is, the instructor asked her to always depress the clutch before using the brake anytime..

That is what my Aunt was taught as well. And she has ran off into walls couple of times because she could not brake in time. Her first thought is to use the clutch. By the time she uses the brake, the damage is done.
Old 5th March 2008, 16:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wonderfull thread,The point i am saying might be slightly off topic.We have a driving school in alleppey (kerela) who has been in the buisness for the past 35 years.I met him regarding the trafic safety week programme when he invited me to see his PERSONALISED TRACK at his backyard.He gives training to his students both on the road and at the track.He has a purpose built car for that matter too.The car is not registered and according to him he wont be able to take the car on the public road but every thing is fine otherwise.Ill try to post some pictures of the track and the car here.It is an effort worth appreciating.
Can we expect such dedication in a remote village in alleppey?
ram
Old 5th March 2008, 16:57   #21
BHPian

My experience with a Raising Sun Motor Driving School in Hyderabad was somewhat average. But i think i got best offer. Paid Rs 1250 for learning only the driving. I wanted to go myself directly to RTA to get my DL and i did get it easy.

Ratings :

Overall Experience with Driving School (DS) : 6/10
Instructor Rating : 4/10 I can compare this instructor to a local cab driver though he may be training for sometime. Literally he has no road and traffic sense.
Cars used for Training Rating : 4/10 a Maruti 800 with Gas Fitted and improperly maintained.
Theory Rating : 0/10 Theory ? Whats that? (No theory was given)
Troubleshooting a Car Rating : 0/10 (The instructor himself had a vague idea of this stuff. Always sends the car to a near by garage. Say thrice a week to get it fixed)

Notes:

I learned how to use ABC, steering and something on how to maintain a bit of control on the vehicle. Even this instructor didn't know anything about engine braking and never told about proper usage of hand brake (Oops some cars didn't have one working). Seatbelts ? What are they used for ? They seat belts here are for holding some extra luggage (polyethylene covers containing beers and chips and stuff) Nothing about defensive driving or tips for achieving max performance or fuel economy.

Course:

30 Classes of each 30 minutes and covering 6 Kms in each class. I spent nearly 3 to 4 months for completing these 30 classes which were actually supposed to complete in 30 days. Sometimes due to the non availability of instructor or vehicle or my other personal engagements.

Would I recommend this DS ? Yes, if you plan to get only a DL through these people and learn good sensible driving all by yourself later.

Any more details you need about this DS, please feel free to PM me.
Old 5th March 2008, 18:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
Its supposedly good if you are talking about the one located near Seshadripuram. Its among the oldest driving schools in Bangalore if I am not wrong. However, IMO nothing comes close to Maruti's driving school in Bangalore at the moment.
Old 5th March 2008, 18:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Wonderfull thread,The point i am saying might be slightly off topic.We have a driving school in alleppey (kerela) who has been in the buisness for the past 35 years.I met him regarding the trafic safety week programme when he invited me to see his PERSONALISED TRACK at his backyard.He gives training to his students both on the road and at the track.He has a purpose built car for that matter too.The car is not registered and according to him he wont be able to take the car on the public road but every thing is fine otherwise.Ill try to post some pictures of the track and the car here.It is an effort worth appreciating.
Can we expect such dedication in a remote village in alleppey?
ram
really nice to see the effort. Personalized track is a thing of fantasy in Bangalore, land is at premium. However it would be really nice if we could have something like that. You might say that I am day dreaming
Old 5th March 2008, 21:08   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I just gave my DL test last weekend and am will be getting the DL this week (yippee).
My experience with driving school:
I joined a school named Anusree Driving school in BTM Lyt, Bangalore. Paid 2400. 16 classes for 30 mins each.
The driver: The driver would invariably come drunk every day to teach.
I would no more trust myself to a drunken instructor than to a drunken driver.

It is very hard for the beginner to judge the technical quality of the instruction, but as customers it is up to us to take a guy like this and say, no thank you, money back please.

Congratulations on the licence. If you can, it is probably worth, as another poster describes, getting proper instruction from a recommended school, even though you don't need to take another test. Your safety (and others, of course) is at stake.
Old 5th March 2008, 21:47   #25
BANNED

Quote:
But one thing I found odd is, the instructor asked her to always depress the clutch before using the brake anytime.

That is what my Aunt was taught as well. And she has ran off into walls couple of times because she could not brake in time. Her first thought is to use the clutch. By the time she uses the brake, the damage is done.
OMG!!!

That what they taught my wife also!!! And naturally, I choose another school - yes, I took the license after my wife took it.
Old 5th March 2008, 22:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

I am waiting for wifey to finish her course, so that I can make her unlearn some of the things and learn to do things the right way.

Since it is only 10 hours of wrong coaching, I hope the unlearning part is easy.
Old 6th March 2008, 16:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
@Thad, can you publish the instructor details? My wife plans to attend class. Will be good, if the instructor is nearby. If you have nos. only - please PM me.
Old 6th March 2008, 18:10   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Modern Driving Instutute.

There's two guys, Somasundaram, the elder, and Madhu, his son. I learnt from the elder, although his son did all the RTO stuff. Used to run a mechanics shop so he does understand how engines work!

The place is in Mandavelli, just off RK Mutt Rd.

--- 98410 66791

If you can't get through, send me a PM and I'll give you other numbers.

There was some stuff about the state government controlling driving schools, having to teach off-public-roads, use simulators, etc a few months back. Do you recall? If it went ahead, I guess the older places like this would be put out of business.

Given that the TN Govt can't even control bike riders wearing helmets, let alone mosquitoes, I have my doubts that anything happened on this.
Old 6th March 2008, 19:16   #29
BHPian

can not agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Slightly off-topic but relevant.....

1. A driving school instructor will NEVER teach his student to slow down / look for traffic when entering a main road. Coz' he never did.

2. A driving instructor will NEVER teach his student to slow down for pedestrians to cross. Coz' he never did.

3. A driving instructor will NEVER teach his student to honk less. Coz' he thinks that's what drives the vehicle.

4. A driving instructor will NEVER teach his student to use the side / rear mirrors. Coz' he aint got them.

5. A driving instructor will NEVER teach his student lane discipline. "What's that?"

......and then there are exceptions. Thank your God if you find one.
Apart from getting the license don't expect anything else. Driving teachers usually pass on their habits to their students.

-- Torqy
Cant agree more. My instructor in H'bad would ask me to take U or right turn from left lane (I had been driving only in USA for quite a few years), does not like me looking over the shoulder. I told him many times unless he lets me know at lease a furlong ahead I am not turning.

However the training was useful in: getting used to geared vehicle, traffic in Hyderabad. BTW driving this vehicle was comparable to working in a factory.
Old 6th March 2008, 21:26   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, my instructor probably wouldn't have passed a British test, and I refused to adopt some of his techniques in preference to mine--- but, on the whole, his instruction was comprehensive and well-informed, and he wanted to put better drivers on the road, not just pay a contact at RTO to give the licence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks