Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 11:35   #46
BHPian

I am a newbie , got my licence a year ago, to share my experience of learning . I was taught by 2 instructors , the first one was good in teaching abt basics like use of clutch,braking,starting procedure, u-turn and basic reverse technique after a week the second guy took over and i always ended with argument with him , since he wud not allow to ride and he would use the clutch/brake himself and the engine would stall and used to yell that am not able to learn inspite of learning to drive for a month . I would practise daily at Necklace road parking lot opp. people's plaza for around 1 hr daily to get a hang of turning , reverse,gear shifts with help of my driver .finally requested the first guy to finish my course and somehow managed to get my licence without stalling the car on test track.

I had my share of damages , once i put my car in a small ditch trying to make a tight turn , second banged behind a city bus at bus stop and broke the headlamps , last scraped left fender trying to park in reverse in my apartment . i think all these made me stronger & allayed my fear of damages ,these were stepping stones to drive better with concentration & judgement.

Even though i had passed the driving test and had a valid licence i was not confident to drive bcos of my earlier mishaps.Only for the last 2 months have been driving alone without anyone besides me and have succesfully completed 500 kms without any damages to anyone.

My suggestion would be

a) Learn with a person whom your are comfortable with and understand the basics of Road rules and learn to anticipate and learn to be a defensive driver.
b) Learn in a bigger car like indica diesel to get a hang of steering control / judgement.
c) learn to start / hold on incline & reverse on incline.
d) Learn to make u-turn's / driving in tight curves.
e) learn all types of parking and above all
f) Be cool & collected dont panic , let ppl honk or drive pretty close , maintain your line and drive safe thru learning & unlearning at every step.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:01   #47
BHPian

i joined a stupid school for driving. it was an alto in which the instructor taught me.

after 5 days i could drive but i think when you go out in the real world and are alone in your first car you will lack that confidence to drive around town.

so i am thinking to join again this time i will go for maruti driving school. for sure. not these so called driving schools.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
i joined a stupid school for driving. it was an alto in which the instructor taught me.

after 5 days i could drive but i think when you go out in the real world and are alone in your first car you will lack that confidence to drive around town.

so i am thinking to join again this time i will go for maruti driving school. for sure. not these so called driving schools.
It is no need to simply wasting your money again and joining another course, it is nothing but you need self confidence to drive.
Old 14th March 2010, 11:03   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Learning to drive : My first experience

Hi,

I am starting this thread to share my experience/progress on driving. Mods, kindly move/merge the thread appropriately if you want.

After searching team-bhp and few other websites, I could think of two options for me. One: Join Maruti Driving School or Two: Join a driving school very near to my place.
I have learnt that the Maruti Driving School is the best driving school as they provide theory, simulator and practical driving lessons. However, the only reason that I didn’t go for it was very far from my place (about 6.5km) and they don’t provide pickup and drop. This would actually mean spending a lot of time in commuting which is not desirable as I my office is in opposite direction.
Hence, I was now looking for a driving school in my locality. Two days back, while going to office I saw an Indica (in good condition) having board of a driving school, which happens to be the nearest driving school from my place (100 Mtrs). I decided to go for this driving school keeping in mind that I will take the theory lessons from team-bhp and indiandrivingschools.com.

March 13, 2010: Shiva Sai Nithin Driving School
Went to their office and queried regarding all the related stuff. The person looked well behaved. He quoted 3500 for driving lessons in Indica + LMV license alone. I expressed that I need two wheeler license as well, on which he asked for 500 more. We settled for 3800. According to him..
  • There would be 26 lessons of 6 km each.
  • The day I provide him the Xerox copies of ID Proof and Address Proof, it would take another 10 days to get the learning license as he has to book a slot for online test.
  • It’s not required for me to give the test on Bike. If I pass Car driving test, that would be sufficient to get both, MCY and LMV license.
March 14, 2010: Day 1

He had asked me to be ready for the first lesson at 8AM. He was on time. Before starting the car, he gave some jargons about handbrake, left-right turn controls, RPM, engine heat, handbrake, battery and oil. He asked me to start the car and control the steering. He insisted on using proper indicators before turning and using only one hand on steering wheel when turning (use right hand for turning left and use left hand for turning right). We covered about 6.5 km. He asked for advance money on which I gave him 1500 as advance.

What to expect from the car driving schools?-day1.jpg

I will need your advice and tips on how to learn proper driving. Thanks.
Old 15th March 2010, 09:07   #50
BANNED

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/SINGHN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG] March 15, 2010: Day 2
Today’s lesson was on clutch, brake, acceleration and gear shifting. I was able to release the clutch slowly in the first gear. It was little difficult to judge whether the right foot is on brake or acceleration paddle. Also, it was a little uncomfortable in keeping left foot always on clutch paddle.

What to expect from the car driving schools?-day2.jpg
Old 15th March 2010, 09:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
[*]It’s not required for me to give the test on Bike. If I pass Car driving test, that would be sufficient to get both, MCY and LMV license.

He insisted on using proper indicators before turning and using only one hand on steering wheel when turning (use right hand for turning left and use left hand for turning right)
Hi Otto
All the best for your driving lessons.

Knowing how to drive a car being enough to get a motorcycle license is odd. Its not like you learn to crawl before you learn to walk! But i guess that's MV rules!

It is good that the instructor is insisting on proper use of indicators. This is something that should be inculcated from the very beginning.

I didnt understand "using one hand to turn" though. What are you supposed to do with the other hand while you are turning?

Quote:
Also, it was a little uncomfortable in keeping left foot always on clutch paddle.
After some practice, you can take your foot off the clutch paddle completely. But I hope you are not pressing the clutch all the time though. That's "riding the clutch" and is a big no-no.
Old 15th March 2010, 12:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, it was a little uncomfortable in keeping left foot always on clutch paddle.
Yes, its quite contrary that during driving lessons you're asked to put your left foot on the clutch & after the license you're supposed to put the foot on the floor & use clutch when necessary ; The idea is for the reaction time to put the foot on the clutch or getting used to use clutch only with left foot.

Also remember to hold the steering wheels in the position of 10:10 as how the clock's needle show.

Even using different hands for left & right turns are puzzling me; After getting a hang of all the controls, use whichever is safe & comfortable to you & remember to use turn lights at right time; this means not to use turn lights too far off or too near; never be in a hurry to shift the gears & drive in top gear; learn the steering technique first & then you can get used to the speeds (though I hated this when I was learning, but I appreciated it later to understand its importance)
Old 15th March 2010, 17:32   #53
BANNED

Quote:
I didnt understand "using one hand to turn" though. What are you supposed to do with the other hand while you are turning?
May be, he was insisting on using one hand to turn so that other hand doesn't hinder when rotating the steering wheel one full rotation. I kept my other hand on leg when turning. Don't know if this is the right technique.

Quote:
never be in a hurry to shift the gears & drive in top gear
I was a little nervous when shifting the gear as there were too many things to control at the same time. However, gained some confidence later but still long way to go.
Old 16th March 2010, 00:04   #54
BHPian

Hi all,
Just want to share my experience with everyone.

Got my DL just over a year back. Had learnt to drive on our trusty old M800 when i was 16 (Was NEVER allowed to drive on the main road though, learnt within our lane.), finally went to take the test in Nov 08. Took me about 3 hours to finish all the formalities (10 mins driving, 20 mins for photo and signature, 25-30 mins for the oral test, balance was just waiting time ) Gave the test in my own car. The instructor didn't even sit in the car while i gave the test, had our driver with me. Nobody even checked if I used proper signalling etc. Managed fine since I knew how to drive, just had to get used to the traffic which took me about 2 weeks or so. If things continue to remain this way, theres no way the number of accidents & fatalities are going to fall!
Its amazing how slowly people can work at these places! The new Maruti driving schools are the best around from what I heard.

Cheers,
Fordfreak
Old 18th March 2010, 09:33   #55
BANNED

March 16, 2010: The instructor didn’t turn up because of Ugadi
March 17, 2010: Day 3
Followed the same path as day 2. I was told that I will have to give a test for learner's license on 31st March
March 18, 2010: Day 4
When I started at 8AM, there were already two more students in the car. I had to wait for them to complete. I felt that I wasted more than 45 minutes sitting in the car and then drove for about 20 minutes. I did a full round of the KBR park (~5km). He instructed to apply a little brake when descending. I tend to touch the gears before pressing the clutch paddle.
What to expect from the car driving schools?-day4.jpg
Old 1st April 2010, 22:21   #56
BANNED

I got learner's license

March 31, 2010: Learner’s License

My instructor had booked the slot for learner’s license around 13 days back. He asked me to come to his office at 11AM. We went to RTA Khairatabad.

Went to the first floor, where applications were being submitted for fresh learning license. There were three counters and three separate queues. I waited for my chance in the queue. When my number came, my instructor passed Rs. 50 to the person checking the papers. I didn’t know why this was necessary. Anyways, I collected a receipt from them and stood in queue in front of the Camera Room.

In camera room, following formalities were done:
  • Passport size photo taken with a webcam.
  • My signature using a digital pen.
  • There was a fingerprint scanner where I had to give prints of my left thumb.
Learning Test:
My instructor asked me to go to learning test center. He asked me not to do anything in the test as someone else will give my test instead. I waited outside of the test room for my chance. I saw two or three people reading the handbook. I could see the nervousness on their faces. One girl sitting behind me asked me “You came for two wheeler or four wheeler license”. I said “Both”. Then she continued looking into the handbook again. I must say that I was not feeling very good about the system. I saw most of the people (just like my case) who were probably told not to answer the questions by themselves.

Finally after waiting for 10 minutes, my name was called. I was allocated a seat. As suggested (strict mention) by my instructor, I was not even touching the mouse. I waited for around 5 minutes and then tried to call the instructor from examination hall itself (in low voice). He hung up the call knowing I am already in the examination hall and reminded again me not to do anything. I was feeling a bit humiliating. I have never ever cheated in any exam till now and passing the test in that manner was not at all of my taste. Anyways, someone showed up after one minute and filled my application number and date of birth and went away. The screen was now displaying the first question and at the same time a reverse counter started. The first question was to identify the sign “Compulsory Ahead Only”. As instructed by my instructor, I again waited despite knowing the answer of the first question. I was looking at the counter in confused state. Counter ticked 10, 9.8.., 9.1.9.0,.. 8.2,8.1..7.5.

I finally decided to continue answering the questions by myself. Answered the first question, second question and third question quickly. But got confused in 4th one. The question was “What is the validity period of PUC certificate?” I was confused between 6 months and one year. Clicked 6 months. The same person who had filled my date of birth info reappeared. He took the mouse controls and went back to first question. He then checked if the answers were right and answered the remaining questions himself. Click, click.. click and it was done.

A dialog box appeared “Congratulations! You have passed the test. Please submit your application form and collect your learning license.

He asked me to take the mouse controls. I clicked OK and went outside. I was a little bit satisfied that I answer atleast few of the questions by myself. After 5 minutes, I received my learning license .
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:42   #57
BHPian

Driver for hire for a month's lesson and driving

Hope I am posting this in the right section...? If not, please let me know where to repost.

I am just learning to drive. However, the driving school nearby where I have enrolled is nothing to write home about. More importantly, I don't have anyone else right now who has been driving for sometime in order to guide me when the formal lessons are over.

I will soon end up having my own car (our car, my husband and I are both learning how to drive). I don't want to be jittery about taking the car out into the Mumbai traffic...

Can anyone please help me with any contacts of drivers who teach informally (not attached to any driving school) for let's say, a month or so. Regular drivers already with someone won't be able to take the time out, but may be someone in Mumbai actually does something like this...?

My dad learnt driving pretty late but he got a good grip on it because of the driver who agreed to drive his car initially and teach him at the same time. But I don't know of anyone near my place in Mumbai, atleast.
Old 17th November 2014, 09:28   #58
BHPian

Mandating purchase of book during license test. Scam?

I recently underwent a test for my driving license at Chennai, through a driving school. Before the test, the school forced me to purchase a book named "Learner's basic safety driving theory", stating that it has been mandated by the RTO and that it is compulsory to possess the book during the test. The book is published by an NGO named "Indian road safety and welfare trust" and there is no mention anywhere of it being authorized by the government. I could not find any such "rule" published anywhere either.

What I want to know is, is this a new scam? A nexus between the publisher, the RTO and the driving school? Asking because one is forced to buy the book as they taunt you with the prospect of your license being declined if you do not have the book with you.

Has anyone come across anything similar?
Old 17th November 2014, 13:33   #59
BHPian

Re: Mandating purchase of book during license test. Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath.s View Post
I recently underwent a test for my driving license at Chennai, through a driving school. Before the test, the school forced me to purchase a book named "Learner's basic safety driving theory", stating that it has been mandated by the RTO and that it is compulsory to possess the book during the test. The book is published by an NGO named "Indian road safety and welfare trust" and there is no mention anywhere of it being authorized by the government. I could not find any such "rule" published anywhere either.

What I want to know is, is this a new scam? A nexus between the publisher, the RTO and the driving school? Asking because one is forced to buy the book as they taunt you with the prospect of your license being declined if you do not have the book with you.

I recently applied for a DL in Pune and have now given the driving test for getting it permanent.
No one asked for any book. I did see a sheet which had common road signs with some applicants but you see the same on the big boards that are there at RTO. Also, these can be found on the web, just google.

It's a scam i guess, which the RTO isn't even aware of.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 14:55   #60
BHPian

Re: Mandating purchase of book during license test. Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath.s View Post
I recently underwent a test for my driving license at Chennai, through a driving school. ...
What I want to know is, is this a new scam?
My wife underwent a road test in Chennai recently and we didnt buy any book. OT, do you speak/understand Tamil? Not to underestimate your meaning making capabilities, but if you dont know Tamil, have you considered having misinterpreted what the instructor was trying to communicate?

Locals over here answer all questions only in the vernacular.

Most Viewed