Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 20:26   #1
BHPian

Nice supercars, but where will you drive them?

A lot of luxury and sports car manufacturers seem keen to enter the Indian marketplace with their top or top(ish) end products. Purchasing power in India has certainly gone up monumentally in the last decade and they are probaby going to sell enough to break even.

However, having visited the sub-continent and Bombay often enough, I am only too aware of the congestion and general state of the roads. The general standard of driving is also something someone driving a high powered machine needs to be aware of.

It seems a terrible waste (not too mention strain on some of the more highly tuned cars) to have these cars caged in cities. Then again, every City in the world has that problem.

However, taking London (or indeed almost any European city) as a point in case, a drive in any direction out of the City will place you on the most sublime country roads where one can truly enjoy the car's finer points, or alternatively at least take advantage of the high speed stability on a motorway.

What opportunity does a true enthusiast have to genuinely enjoy his machine? I have driven on numerous highways and though there are stretches with both breathtaking scenary and good surfaces, they are neither consistent nor common. One needs to be able to trust the surface you are on and concentrate on trajectory, speed and placement as opposed to whether the next corner has a huge pothole that is going to rip the lip of your GT3.

It seems that these cars are going to end being bought purely as status symobls are not being used as they were intended.

Is there any way this forum could help in lobbying the necessary authorities to improve the state of the roads?

Just a thought.
Advocatus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2008, 21:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

The above reasons are exactly why I chose a Wagon R over the Ferrari.
Old 4th March 2008, 22:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

While its true what you mentioned, but there are good percentage of rich people who buy expensive premium cars just 'for the sake of owning it'. Most of them only take out the cars on weekend or on special occassion.. so guess, its not entirely road infrastructure that rich people look into when deciding to buy cars.. just my two cents..
Old 4th March 2008, 23:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

When the rich people will get those cars, they will lobby with the government to give them roads to drive them on, then build better infrastructure away from the cities.

We need to do nothing, just sit behind our monitors and ogle at the beauties and appreciate the rich of their latest procurement. The more they procure, the more they will feel the need to lobby for better infrastructure. We get to drive our Nano's on those roads.

Last edited by 1100D : 4th March 2008 at 23:07.
Old 4th March 2008, 23:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Advocatus,

Very true and an often asked common-sense question. But then again, those owners probably get their own in the 5 secs that people gawk at the cars and envy the owner when they go for their midnight 200 m drives before they slow down at the police checkpoint.
Old 4th March 2008, 23:19   #6
BHPian

I dont think in UK there are roads where a Ferrari can be driven (legally) the way it should be. In India the problem for Ferrari owners may be the roads/traffic. But in UK , there is no problem when it comes to roads/traffic but the bigger problem is the strict rules and the stricter way of enforcing them. If we look at it this way, not many countries are fit for luxury marques except maybe Germany.

Last edited by artofzen : 4th March 2008 at 23:20.
Old 4th March 2008, 23:36   #7
BHPian

hey come on yaar, For many people car is not a vehicle its an 'ornament'. So they buy own them as a presteige issue. Can we expect Ekta Kapoor to drive an Alto or Mallya to drive a Fiesta- though they can very well fit in these vehicles. They Own BMW7 series and Rolls Royce as status symbol and not as cars. Similarly few own Ferraris so on and so forth.
Old 5th March 2008, 01:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingping View Post
hey come on yaar, For many people car is not a vehicle its an 'ornament'. So they buy own them as a presteige issue. Can we expect Ekta Kapoor to drive an Alto or Mallya to drive a Fiesta- though they can very well fit in these vehicles. They Own BMW7 series and Rolls Royce as status symbol and not as cars. Similarly few own Ferraris so on and so forth.
Hmmmm...Lincoln Towncar then, not Ferrari 599 GTB (Not even the 7series!).
Old 5th March 2008, 01:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Hmmmm...Lincoln Towncar then, not Ferrari 599 GTB (Not even the 7series!).
The Lincoln shows status,but its getting dated. Unless its something on the lines of MKZ. Good cars seem to be becoming affordable to more people in India,I hope the roads keep up the pace and work together in providing drivers a better ride.

That would be Utopia!
Old 5th March 2008, 07:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

In the last 5 years hyderabad has seen a steady increase in luxury cars. especially due to the real estate boom. Most of the cars here are bought are for the status symbol or to show their level of success and the basic car which matches such level is the fiesta, next octavia/civic, laura - these are catching up alot with hyderabad people, so much that the octavias appear to be in minority! then mercs, beamers, audis and what not.

But an interesting thing which proves the above argument is that there are fewer number of performance oriented cars like supras, evos, scooby,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The above reasons are exactly why I chose a Wagon R over the Ferrari.
Last time i heard a different version!
You should have bought an amby or a jeep.
Old 5th March 2008, 07:52   #11
rippergeo

its easier to drive cars fast in india than in the UK. while living there, I found it hard to push my 10yr old 1.3 honda civic to its limits. fear of the speed cameras kept me under control, here...its a free for all.

all you need is money,callousness and a complete lack of consideration for other road users and you can drive any car, at any speed that it is capable of.

where would I drive them? anywhere! baap ka road!!!

but seriously, drving in the UK was a pain, and one of the most boring chores I ever had to do. driving in india, even if it is just to the supermarket, in an out of tune M800 -is a delight.

who needs roads? we have freedom instead!

Old 5th March 2008, 08:09   #12
BHPian

Well, if I would own a GT3, I'd rather drive on it on a track, rather than muddle through traffic. Driving enthusiasts should ask for better race tracks and circuits, IMHO. Roads are for commuting, and for the common man. Although I dont deny that there's fun to be had on a well-laid winding road with a good car.
Old 5th March 2008, 09:16   #13
BANNED

Guys, do you realise that in Kerala, the general speed limit is 80 KMPH (Eighty - as in "Eight zero" kilometers per hour).
Speed limit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That site also says that Kerala is one of few places all over the world to have a general speed limit. I did not quite get that - the "general" part though.
Old 5th March 2008, 09:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
but seriously, drving in the UK was a pain, and one of the most boring chores I ever had to do. driving in india, even if it is just to the supermarket, in an out of tune M800 -is a delight.

I tend to agree with the first part. I was always scared of falling asleep in even a drive of a few hrs there. Smooth traffic, smooth road, cruising at 70mph with cruise control. Here... it can be a headache at times, but never boring. Always someone or something to avoid or "excite" you on the road (not necessarily in a delightful manner)
Old 5th March 2008, 10:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Well said buddie,its true but the fact that purchasing a new or costly car just for the sake of it ,or he got it so i have to have it factor plays an important role in this issue.Maybe its like lets buy it the roads will follow.
ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks