Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 16:44   #91
BHPian

Re: Why the fascination with the back seat?!!

The main reason why people sit at the back bench with a chauffeur is privacy. Then, it is better possible to use a laptop at the back bench. Engine noise too is lower at the rear, it is also considerably safer at the back. Some years back, I saw a test (I think on NatGeo) that proved that despite airbags in the front, the rear seat is safer during a front impact. And then the perceived sense of superiority people consider over their chauffeurs that makes them sit away from them
Old 30th January 2014, 17:05   #92
Senior - BHPian

IMO, there are 2 reasons why people prefer to sit in the rear seats in a chauffeur drive car:

1. Firstly it is Pride, as mentioned by other fellow bhpians and to differentiate themselves as the owner of the car.

2. Secondly, for officials/ people in management will have to use some documents or a laptop as they might have to get into a meeting as soon as they reach office and it would be comfortable to have the documents besides them and have a look. Whereas in the front seat you will not be comfortable holding the docs/laptop on your lap and mess around with it.

Also I have seen many people who own BMW, Merc, Audi always have a chauffeur and I think they are not proud driving a car like that. If it was me, I would have never preferred to have a driver for my car at any point of time, reason being the craze I have on cars and I would never miss the opportunity to drive my car no matter what the distance is or the traffic is
Old 30th January 2014, 17:32   #93
BHPian

I have one point to add. Perhaps, this is not the true intention of the owners to NOT occupy the front seat (there are some exceptions like me ). Normally, when you are not driving you tend to feel drowsy at times and you may want to take a quick nap. Although the front seat provides more support, you might also induce the drowsiness to the driver and thus distract him from doing his job.

While travelling in office cabs, I always make it a point to occupy the front seat only when I don't feel sleepy. This is more valid especially during late night drives . After all, safety is more important than comfort isn't it?
Old 30th January 2014, 21:13   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshsp View Post
I have one point to add. Perhaps, this is not the true intention of the owners to NOT occupy the front seat (there are some exceptions like me). Normally, when you are not driving you tend to feel drowsy at times and you may want to take a quick nap. Although the front seat provides more support, you might also induce the drowsiness to the driver and thus distract him from doing his job.

While travelling in office cabs, I always make it a point to occupy the front seat only when I don't feel sleepy. This is more valid especially during late night drives. After all, safety is more important than comfort isn't it?
I agree on the drowsy thing for the driver if the passenger is sleeping beside. I have faced this situation myself and make it a point that no one sits beside me when I am driving.

Jaan hai to jahaan hai!

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th January 2014 at 21:14. Reason: Spelling correction
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 21:46   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

So I've recently started to being chauffeur driven to work and back, specially given the horrible mumbai traffic.
I discovered that I would be exhausted on the way back from office, leaving little energy for the night spins

Surprisingly, I find myself on the back seat more often than not - even in the uncomfortable Skoda Laura.
Reasons?
- When I am in the back, I cannot see what the driver is doing, and the traffic ahead. Somehow I am always more antsy in the front, judging his driving and cursing morons on the road.
- Since I am not driving, I am bound to be doing other things such as watching videos/making calls, etc. On those occasions when I want to take a nap, I get a lot more space to stretch out and best of all - don't distract the driver.

Of course, it has its cons.
Generally my chauffeur would be a lot more careful with me in the front keeping a strict eye on him - as would many other chauffeurs.
Plus, the front seat is much more comfortable.. even to nap in!
Old 30th January 2014, 22:25   #96
Senior - BHPian

From observing my cousin who is in a high placed position with a one of India's most reputed financial business house.

Back then, he had a Civic and almost always sat in the backseat. He's on calls most of the time he travels (even on a Saturday) and he's always calm and polite when he speaks, so that the driver isn't disturbed. Like literally, one call after the other with no breaks. He seldom speaks with the driver and he doesn't want him distracted with what my brother is doing (except giving instructions when going to new places).

That was his reason to sit behind. Also found him being cordial and respectful with his middle aged driver and we're not a family that believes in expressing class divide by not sitting next to a driver.

Last edited by k_ajay : 30th January 2014 at 22:27.
Old 31st January 2014, 02:00   #97
BHPian

I prefer the backseat while being Chauffeured mainly because I have the leeway to spread my legs either way, or even sit cross wise. Backseat is more Laptop/cell-conversation friendly. Besides its nothing to do with superiority complex, sometimes when I decide to drive back from a place my chauffeur had taken me to, he takes the back seat and enjoys there. Not all the time, an auto enthusiast gets to exercise his love to drive, sometimes his car just becomes a mere transport (a comfortable one at that).
Old 31st January 2014, 09:33   #98
BHPian

I prefer the back seat when I am not driving simply for the reason it gives me the jitters seeing the way most of the drivers drive. I am better off when I don't see what is happening in front of me.
Old 31st January 2014, 09:53   #99
BHPian

Here are couple of reasons I take to the rear seat when driven around -

1. Privacy
2. I can see the speedometer better from rear and keep a tab that driver remains within speed limits.
3. I do not like to hear music in car but as the driver enjoys listening to music. The music system is adjusted only for front speakers.

However, every person seated behind has own reasons to do so. We should not generalize.
Old 31st January 2014, 09:56   #100
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Whenever Im being chauffeured I prefer the back seat diagonally behind the driver's seat, simply because there is more space.
I have the front passenger seat moved forward and folded down so as to free up more leg space for myself.
Im usually chauffeured in a cab, when on a trip to one of the other cities of India and there is no chance at all for the cabbie to drive fast, given the traffic conditions we have in our country.
Old 31st January 2014, 10:16   #101
BHPian

If I'm not driving, the left rear seat is my favorite. I'm a lot more relaxed here than on the front seat. And I also find it easier to doze off.
Old 31st January 2014, 12:08   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshsp View Post
I Although the front seat provides more support, you might also induce the drowsiness to the driver and thus distract him from doing his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I agree on the drowsy thing for the driver if the passenger is sleeping beside. I have faced this situation myself and make it a point that no one sits beside me when I am driving.

Jaan hai to jahaan hai!

Anurag.
Never could fathom this issue/point at all.
Do you keep looking at the co-passenger when you drive? Otherwise how will you ever know whether the guy is sleeping or just gazing through the window or perhaps listening to the music.

And ... What happens when you drive alone?
Fall asleep?
Old 31st January 2014, 12:32   #103
BHPian

Safety is a very important aspect for sitting in the back seat. When I am traveling with my wife and daughter (1 yr), there is no way I will allow them to sit in the front seat. The little one always has to be in her rear facing car seat and wifey besides her. When the little one is cranky and does not want to be alone in the car seat, my wife will take her in her lap (only if we are in slow moving traffic).

The rear seat, even without seat belts and airs bags is generally safer than the front seat in case of a collision. This is especially true for children. Children should NEVER be seated on the front seat. And by children, I am not referring to babies. Generally speaking children up to 13 yrs of age and/or less than 4.5 ft tall should be seated in the rear seat. This is especially true in cars with Air bags and seat belts with pretensioners. Air bags are know to kill children as they end up inflating on their face. Seat belts tighten up on children and strangle them.

However, the most likely cause of injury for a child on a front seat is by getting thrown on the car's windshield due to inertia. Seat belts may be too big/loose for the child and the child may slip out of the seat belt under very hard braking. So, prestige and privacy aside, always sit in the rear bench if you are traveling with children - irrespective if you are being chauffeured by a driver or family.
Old 31st January 2014, 12:39   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

+1. Even I could never get that how can a sleeping co-passenger 'induce' sleepiness to the driver? Anyone?
Old 31st January 2014, 12:44   #105
BHPian

Could be for privacy and also it's better to take short naps from the back seat.

Most Viewed