Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2014, 02:19   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Im provided with a company car and a company driver? Its just an Innova. But I usually sit behind the empty front passenger seat. We ll push that all the way forward. I have more legroom in my Innova then in just about any other car. I'm 1.93m and there are not that many cars in which I fit well or comfortably. The second row seats in my Innova is actually pretty comfortable

Also, sitting behind my driver, I can more easily read the newspaper, spread out my various work items on the other seat, phone, headsets, chargers, ipad, laptop, notebook etc. I spend a lot of time in my car and to me it is just a mobile office and I want to make my time in it as effective and productive as possible. Thats easier done from the back then the front seat. And when Im traveling with my wife I prefer to sit next to her then next to my driver. Same if I take a friend or colleague along. Because most of the talking will to the wife, friend and or colleague. Uh, well its usually the wife who does the talking but Im sure you understand what I mean.

So nothing to with status, all to do when Im at work its just a making the most of those driving hours and when we are out on a personal trip its just convenience and I prefer to sit next to my wife. Its just more practical, convenient and effective.

Having said all of this, its also the very first time in my life I actually have a driver. When everything is said and done, I prefer to do my own driving, although that limits my business activities to being on the phone only.

jeroen

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 10:15   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why the fascination with the back seat?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Precisely! That is why I only excluded super super luxury vehicles like maybe S-Class, 7-series (Long Wheelbase), Maybach, Rolls Royce, etc where rear seat (obviously!) would be more comfortable. For all other vehicles, I find front seat most comforting.
Try the Safari, the back seat (rather the middle seat) is the place to be, for supreme comfort.
I believe the back seat is where owners sit, merely because of the concept of personal space. I don't like to rub shoulders, in a hatch back or a hatchback posing as a sedan, simply because it makes me uncomfortable to share my personal space with someone I don't know. If I were riding with a friend, of-course I would sit beside him/her on the front passenger seat!!
Also I want to work/surf the web etc or even read, its easier to spread one's belongings on the rear bench in comfort compared to the relatively cramped front seat.
Old 1st February 2014, 13:05   #123
BHPian

I guess to each his own, when it comes to the choice of seat!
My dad always prefers to sit in the front passenger seat in his Scorpio when being driven around with the driver, because he finds it more comfortable than the rear. Even if our manager sahab or other office guys are accompanying him, they are made to occupy the rear seats!
When I am with a driver in my car and alone, which is extremely rare, well he can occupy any seat he wants, except the driving seat!
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 13:26   #124
BHPian

Very interesting. My own (d)evolution :

1. When I had a hatchback with a driver (because I was too scared and lazy to drive), I used to sit in the front. The front seat of my WagonR & then Getz were always more comfortable. Plus the driver is a bit careful when sahab is sitting next to him. Since first few years I had a major phobia of driving, I was at the mercy of the drivers. And an assorted bunch I had. From novice clutch-breakers to experienced schumachers.

2. When I got a sedan, realised the back-seat is more comfortable. On a long commute (1.5hrs one-way) I invariably end up doing either work or reading or catching up on a movie. So the backseat resembles a mini-office with files, newspapers, laptop, charger and maybe snacks !

Also, once you push the front-seat ahead, the backseat becomes your own cocoon (THE 3rd place beyond home and office - Like Starbucks). Much needed respite after a hard days work !

I know it sounds a bit "Sethia" but at 6.30 pm at Nariman Point trying to reach Kandivali (Mumbaikars please empathize) , rather sit in the backseat than see endless tail-lights and driving antics for the next 2 hrs !
ashishpotdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 18:25   #125
BHPian

I came in expecting why we in india do not have many 2 seaters, coupes i think they are called.

When I used to take driver to office in Wagon R, i used to travel on the back seat because i straightaway laid down, curled up and went to sleep! Back seat was a bed to me as my travel time was around 3 hours up and down combined each day. I have so much faith in the driver and his other boys, all of whom are related to each other, that they only used to wake me up when I reached office or back home.
Old 1st February 2014, 23:54   #126
Senior - BHPian

I am culpable of reviving a old thread previous page, forgot to add a related point.

Around 2007-08 (bangalore ecity back to silk board traffic, no elevated road then), daily evening i used to see a 1st Gen REVA, driver in his place, OWNER in rear with front seat pushed all the way forward - he would be on his laptop most of the times.

It was a sight to behold!!
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 00:16   #127
BHPian

May be I am slightly different. I somehow don't feel comfortable in the back seat. I feel too cocooned to my liking. When I am not driving ( that is when I am in my friend's car, I always prefer the front passenger seat) and rear seat is only if I don't have an option ( if my friend's wife is occupying the front passenger seat) but never liked it.
I have been chauffeured many a time, but I always prefer to sit in the front passenger seat. I would rather push the front seat fully back and also recline the same to have a relaxed position but not so much as sit in the back seat. Somehow never liked the back seat
Old 2nd February 2014, 03:32   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
May be I am slightly different. I somehow don't feel comfortable in the back seat. I feel too cocooned to my liking. When I am not driving ( that is when I am in my friend's car, I always prefer the front passenger seat) and rear seat is only if I don't have an option ( if my friend's wife is occupying the front passenger seat) but never liked it.
I have been chauffeured many a time, but I always prefer to sit in the front passenger seat. I would rather push the front seat fully back and also recline the same to have a relaxed position but not so much as sit in the back seat. Somehow never liked the back seat
I have a similar situation. I prefer the front passenger seat. My reasons being that seatbelts go on compulsorily and my cars so far have only dual front air bags. I however do not take the seat back a lot or incline it more than normal. In case I wish to sleep while travelling, I move to the rear seat.
Old 2nd February 2014, 15:58   #129
BHPian

Years back driving a M800 in my sprawling university campus I was stopped by my vice chancellor on a walk with two german visitors. He wanted me to drop them at the campus gate as they were in a hurry to catch the flight. They promptly got into the back seat and immediatly one of them was asked to sit in the front by my vice chancellor as he did not want me to feel like a driver ferrying two people to the airport!
So GTO I feel it is associated with "prestige".
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 20:48   #130
P76
BHPian

Whenever I am not driving, my natural choice is the Front Passenger seat. But one thing I like about the rear seat is the air-conditioning. The air-con effect in the rear of any car would be more of an air-conditioned room-type environ. The front in comparison is patchy - cooler in those places where the vent is directed.
During hotter days, the solar hear coming through the windscreen spoils the front seat comfort, no matter how good the aircon is.

Last edited by P76 : 2nd February 2014 at 20:52.
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:56   #131
Senior - BHPian

Space.

Pull the front passenger seat all the way forward and suddenly you have lots of space in the back. Be it a hatchback, a sedan, an SUV - any car for that matter as long as the front seats are not fixed there's definitely a way of generating more leg space in the back. Even for fixed seats, they can be reclined towards the windshield to generate more space in the back.

Also, lateral space is more in the back. In the front the driver seat is occupied by the driver. As long as the "sethia" is all by himself, he can have a long bench on the back all to himself! He can rest his bags, papers, laptop or whatever he wants right next to him and have easy access to it whenever he wants.
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:32   #132

Personally I prefer the front seat when I am driving :-) and when its a short trip where I dont plan to do anything other than taking or making an occasional phone call.

On longer trips ( when I am alone with a driver ) or when I have plans to work or read in the car I prefer the back seat for the following reasons.

1) Dont want to be distracted with the traffic and other circus on the road.
2) Spread my stuff/ newspaper around the back seat and get my stuff done. This is also helpful because there I think its a little quieter and a softer ride in the back.
3) Easier to nap if in the back.
4) If I need to have a serious discussion then I join the person in the back.

So I guess it depends in my case.
BTW I am talking about an Innova.

Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:39   #133
BHPian

I would want to stir up the dirt. !Need to be careful here!

Should one keep a chauffeur, if he/she can afford one?

I see the driver job a really dumb and thankless one.
Wake up early, head to work, and then end up washing the car in the morning, then drive the owner to work, now doze off, or listen to music, or even play card games with fellow drivers, and wait patiently until the owner returns back from work, and then drive back home, park the car, take a bus or walk back home.

I have seen scores of such people in the ITPL campus (Bangalore), and always felt uneasy.

One could argue that the person gets a job, a way to keep his family fed.
But, a car driver is a redundant job, I feel. (Not talking about bus drivers or cabbies)

Yes, there are reasons why one would want to have a chauffeur
old age, impaired vision, illness, pregnancy etc etc.
But, should you want someone do your chore?

Do you think your 1 hour in traffic would be made better use of?
What about the 10+ hours of your fellow human being?
I want to go a step further and say, wash your own car, wash it only if it is dirty.
Sounding too preachy? Forgive me If I did.
These were just thoughts of the other kind!

But this being a driver enthusiast website, I guess there are more than a few who agree with me.
Old 4th February 2014, 00:30   #134
BHPian

Women may find it uneasy to sit along side in the front seat, where in smaller cars its frequent to brush hands (say) while driving, you would rather sit uptight and more comfortable in the rear seat (mentally and physically). True also with men, why would you like to brush against someone all the way?
Keeping and working with things, say its easy to place them on the seat next to you and work more comfortably than to put it on the dash board etc.
Make up on the way? Do you want to be seen during that process, well ask the lady of the house.
Enjoy the right side view, I usually like the road side of the view irrespective of if I am driving or being driven (you might not find much space behind the drive though)
Before the ban on the films I have seen cars with rear windows sporting a darker shade (at times none in the front) or curtain, may be the driver needs a better view and the boss wants to steal from a view?
Some people feel safe in the rear seat than in the front (of the windshield)
Pick up an occasional guest for a chat, then you don't have to change seats?
I mean there is a lot practical and convenience related issues to choosing the rear seat and it might always not be a the ego...no?
Old 4th February 2014, 00:36   #135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Should one keep a chauffeur, if he/she can afford one?
Because he/she feels it is better if someone does the driving job better due to some problem - health issues, mental tension.

Quote:
One could argue that the person gets a job, a way to keep his family fed.
I like this point but that is the truth. The drivers job that one person creates is feeding a family that would have not got their daily bread if no such job was available.

Quote:
But, should you want someone do your chore?
Not that we are lazy and reluctant to do our job but some cases are there who need a driver and there are certain jobs in this world where a person needs to be on his toes every minutes and keep answering calls, responding to emails - such people can't drive and it is better if they take the back seat and work else we will have accidents due to these guys concentrating on the mobile rather than driving.

There is a reason with every individual in this world who employs a driver to ferry the owner around.

Quote:
I want to go a step further and say, wash your own car, wash it only if it is dirty.

Driver is not meant only to wash the car but that is one of his routine to keep his workplace neat. The washing does play a very important role.

PS: I don't have them for me at least but my dad has kept one as he feels he not that fit enough (Age factor - health, vision, alertness etc) to drive around by himself and it is better, safer to employ a driver who will help him go where ever he needs and mind you the driver is happy as he gets his respect and no one treats him badly. We seen him as our family member, his family is happy and all his children are studying in a school and all eat the three time meal which they deserve.

This is just one driver and his family, so please imagine the same for the rest of India and the world.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks