Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2008, 19:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

To show status people occupy backseat. Thats it.

My story:

First 4 months (thats 8 years back) I sat in front Passenger seat with Seat belt always in my own car because I wanted to monitor my driver. While travelling in Taxy always back seat and when Taxy owner who is my friend driving I used to switch back/front seats.

When I upgraded my car I started sitting Back since my status had grown as well! In this case since its still hatch always I have made sure front seat is fully pushed front so I get ample room.

When I upgraded to Innova always back seat because it had excellant room, but when I changed my driver i started front seat because front seats always more comfy and driver is new guy so need to prepare him and make sure he drive as per my expectations. I decided to keep status/prestige aside and always sit in front becasue it gives excellant comfort.

If I am with my wife and my kid then always backseat. If with entire family based on availability fo seats.

Moral of the story: Owner/Boss sit in back seat just to show who is owner (status) and who is driver. Few people sit in front seat who feel front seats more comfy and who don't care for status.

I suggest If its hatch front seat will give best comfort, if its 15+ lac. car then backseat makes sense. Because I tried all seat positions in all cars

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 5th March 2008, 19:21   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

afraid of being called gay ;-)

i use the font seat because i like to fiddle with ICE, AC, etc. back seat is too boring. but 98% i am in the drivers seat.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2008, 19:28   #18
BHPian

I can think of myself sitting in the backseat if

1. I have and need to use a laptop, some files, a briefcase, newspaper etc, which could become cumbersome to handle if sitting in the front seat.
2. I need some insulation from the sight of traffic in the front and having not to worry about how the driver will manipulate the auto/bus ahead and related tensions.
3. If i think I am the "8055"

However I dont meet any of this criteria. So I am at the front, on the right!

Last edited by appuchan : 5th March 2008 at 19:33.
Old 5th March 2008, 20:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

The only time, we employed a chauffeur in the recent past (10 yrs) was when I had a recovering fractured leg and had to attend my job. The driver was just a decoy, away from the neighbourhood, the driver used to take the back seat and I used to drive him to my work.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2008, 20:45   #20
BHPian

Reason no 1.
I can driver car. But I don't want all the headache of the traffic etc etc. So I have kept a driver.
Whenever I sit in front, I feel as if I am driving. My brain starts calculation how the car should move at what speed etc etc.
Also the driver doesnt brake and stop as per my driving method. Means my and drivers driving skill wavelength is different.
So sitting on front passenger sit beats the purpose of a driver.
I dont feel the same tension when I am in bus or when I sit at the back.

Reason no 2.
The back seat always has more shadow portion than the 1st seat. The hot Sun light burning on your thighs and arms is too much - irrespective of the AC in the car.
Back seat is always preferred.
Old 5th March 2008, 20:46   #21
BHPian

To put it bluntly, you can have some peace and quiet. My driver is a chatterbox and I would feel obliged to engage with him when sitting up front. At the back I can grunt in response and send him the message that I am not keen to chat without seeming too rude. Somehow when I am in front it seems ruder to stay quiet!

PS. I also agree with subscrive's reason number 1!
Old 5th March 2008, 20:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would say ignorance - inability to realize that people they are mimicking are actually riding a limo, rather than a 800cc tinbox.
Old 5th March 2008, 21:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

because some people dont want to wear seat belts ?
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2008, 21:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

The earlier days were quite funny when the driver had power windows and the rich passenger had to roll down his windows manually.

I think the trend was carried forward from the British Raj days. But the British cars had better space in the rear. Poor Indian passengers forgot that and stuck to the rear seat.

I was amazed at my US co-worker's BMW X3 and told only celebrities drive these cars in India. He mockily made me sit in the rear seat and said he will play driver to the Great Indian Maharaja.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 5th March 2008 at 21:56.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2008, 21:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Think we had a rule in Kerala that owners should sit at the front.

"kids in the back seat cause accidents; accidents in the back seat cause kids"
Old 5th March 2008, 22:07   #26
srh
BHPian

I think it is a hangover from the days of the Ambassador. It has a very comfortable rear bench

I have never ridden my own vehicle either in the co-driver or rear seat in the last so many years. Now I get twitchy if someone else is driving and I am just a passenger.
Old 5th March 2008, 22:12   #27
BHPian

I dunno why this happens. My dad always sits in front when his driver is driving.

On the other hand, my granddad used to sit behind bcos he hated wearing the seatbelt when sitting in the front (we always insisted on seatbelts being worn).

Maybe other sit behind due to this fact or just to satisyf their ego's of the master sitting behind driven around by the lower people.
Old 5th March 2008, 22:17   #28
BHPian

Very good topic GTO.

I've always pitied backseaters in small & medium sized cars, where they sit diagonally in a very awkward angle. (particularly tall guys).

At the same time I've got a few friends who sit in the front with the drivers for that extra legroom & comfort.

In Bangalore atleast most common reason I get for the back seat adjustment is the use of laptop. c'mon isnt it more awkward using laptop in a already cramped up space?
Old 5th March 2008, 22:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Going by first post of the topic I assume we are talking about sub-10 Lac cars here.

Although it is true that these cars don't offer much leg space at rear but to be very honest at front they don't offer much room around yours shoulders as well.
And really if the passenger side seat it taken to extreme front then in most of the cars there is ample space for your legs.

Secondly on the back seat you have somewhat better protection against direct sunlight.

Whenever there is another passenger in the car then back-seat is nobrainer as you can have conversation with the passenger.
Old 5th March 2008, 22:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

the womenfolk in my family are too scared to sit in front when i drive

Most Viewed