Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2008, 01:10   #61
BHPian

Update

Latest news is Nissan will use the made-in-India A-Star as their own in the European market. They're also looking to get Bajaj to make a Nano competitor, but that's another story.

Quote:
While Nissan will source Maruti-Suzuki's yet-to-be-launched compact ‘A-Star' for selling in the European market, it will also export the small car from India.
Source: JapanCarBlog.com
Old 10th June 2008, 11:10   #62
BHPian

A-Star by October 08!

A hatchback car, the A-Star will be equipped with a 1.2-1.6 litre engine. It will be available in both diesel and petrol versions.

The A-Star will add to Maruti’s A2 portfolio, which currently comprises the WagonR and the Zen Estilo. The car is expected to hit the roads by October.

The A-Star will be produced initially for India, before being exported to markets in Europe and Asia. The world debut of the A-Star will make it the first concept car to be launched in India in the 26 years of Maruti Suzuki’s existence in the country.

Source: afaqs! > news & features > Maruti readies for global launch of A-Star, calls for creative pitch

Elito
Old 10th June 2008, 11:17   #63
BHPian

1.2-1.6 litre engine? I thought it will be 1 Ltr
Old 10th June 2008, 13:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

Probably it would come with the Swift P engine. Cost cutting you see

But don't expect a 1.6. I seriously doubt whether Maruti will plonk a bigger engine compared to Swift(B+) and Dzire(entry C) in a B segment car.
Old 10th June 2008, 14:38   #65
BHPian

The A-Star is by definition an 'A' segment car, i.e it is in the range of Alto or at the most Wagon R. Don't expect anything bigger than 1.2 liter petrol engine on that car, and knowing Maruti they wont offer a diesel option.

The specs given at the auto-show said that it would have a 1 liter all-aluminum petrol engine that meets EuroV specs. If so that would be terrific.

It would be totally pathetic if they released with the Wagon R/Alto engine and gearbox. Having said that, if they do, there will still be losers queuing up to buy it.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:47   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
The A-Star is by definition an 'A' segment car, i.e it is in the range of Alto or at the most Wagon R. Don't expect anything bigger than 1.2 liter petrol engine on that car, and knowing Maruti they wont offer a diesel option.

The specs given at the auto-show said that it would have a 1 liter all-aluminum petrol engine that meets EuroV specs. If so that would be terrific.

It would be totally pathetic if they released with the Wagon R/Alto engine and gearbox. Having said that, if they do, there will still be losers queuing up to buy it.
Aarggh! You are getting it wrong out here. The very simple reason that the Alto/800/WagonR have been clocking terrific sales figures is .. because they are tremendously VFM. At the end of the day, India is still a land of the middle-class. And I dont see anything wrong with MSIL relaunching the Alto engine in a new package. People do look out for change, and if there is the same wine in a new bottle, for a regular alcoholic, it doesnt make too much of a difference.

And for all the "Non-Losers", dont we have options ranging from the 1.3 Swift to the 6-liter Rolls Royce ?
Old 10th June 2008, 15:57   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post

Having said that, if they do, there will still be losers queuing up to buy it.
Can you please define who the Non-losers are?????
Old 10th June 2008, 16:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

These losers pay a amount which could buy them cars in midsize (indian spec) segments in other countries.
Old 10th June 2008, 17:06   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Aarggh! You are getting it wrong out here. The very simple reason that the Alto/800/WagonR have been clocking terrific sales figures is .. because they are tremendously VFM. At the end of the day, India is still a land of the middle-class. And I dont see anything wrong with MSIL relaunching the Alto engine in a new package. People do look out for change, and if there is the same wine in a new bottle, for a regular alcoholic, it doesnt make too much of a difference.

And for all the "Non-Losers", dont we have options ranging from the 1.3 Swift to the 6-liter Rolls Royce ?
OK, let me clarify.

I certainly don't consider VFM buyers as losers, being a VFM person myself. And I certainly have nothing against an 800cc or 1100 cc engine per se. In fact I am a big fan of the Nano.

By loser what I mean is buying any antiquated crap just because it is a Maruti. Unlike Hyundai or even others like GM or Ford, Maruti (till the Swift, at least) has consistently palmed off the lowest-end and most oudated stuff to Indian customers while at the same time claiming it to be high tech! The multiple versions of all-new Zen (that turned out to be ugly cosmetic changes) and the fanfare around the launching of the 'Zen Estilo' (only launched in India because Suzuki had stopped making that version of MR Wagon and had no use for it's dies and stampings, come to mind. The Wagon R and Alto share the same rubbery gearbox and both the engines, while reliable are outdated and frankly not good enough, even at it's price point, what with the spark and santro being several leagues ahead.

Buying a car is an emotional decision and the feel-good factor comes in to play along with others like practicality etc, regardless of whether you are buying your first car or upgrading from a C to E class. I personally would feel much better going with a car (and company) that is offering me the latest they have to offer and at least offering a powertrain on par with what they offer in the same car in other geographies. Especially when my country is the largest and most profitable market for said company, which is milking is for whatever we are worth.

I had an experience in a Maruti showroom, where I was comparing a competitor's car which was clearly ahead on 4-5 technical parameters, while still a little cheaper than the Maruti car in question. Instead of trying to say something technically to justify the Maruti, all he could come up with was 'But saar, its a Maruti, so its worth the extra money'. I had to think to myself if I was indeed in a Maruti showroom and not a Ferrari or Bentley showroom to justify such snobbery.

If Maruti launches the A-Star in other markets with an all-aluminum EuroV engine (as they will have to), but sticks with the same Wagon R engine and gearbox in India it can definitely be considered step-motherly treatment of Indian consumers. And I only say that because Maruti doesnt have a good record in that regard in the past.

Hence in that context what I mean by loser was people who are queuing up to buy outdated crap just because 'it is a Maruti'.
Old 10th June 2008, 20:27   #70
Senior - BHPian

chncar,
Your points are quite valid. But I guess it has a lot to do with the Indian mentality as such. And hence I dont really blame the car manufacturers. Yes the salesmen can be taught a little more customer service fundae, but at the end of the day Maruti, Hyundai or even Reva is out there to make business.

Now coming back to TBHP, whenever someone throws up a Maruti vs say Chevy in the "What car" segment, almost all the experts say to go for the Maruti for better A.S.S., resale value, cheaper parts blah blah. So thats where, even Maruti knows to score. So no wonder they come up with more and more models which are very well outdated, but still people buy them. Not because its a Maruti, but because of the A.S.S, spares etc.
Old 11th June 2008, 20:20   #71
BHPian

just see the picture of the Japanese new alto
i would say a very very good looking car
indeed. in Japan it's schedual to release in
oct 2009, as i see from pic it's will share
many design cue with the A-star as from
the a- pillar until the rear of the car will be the same.

hey, if someone snap the a-star don't hesitage to
post in team-bhp and don't forget water marks
i'm looking forward to see

thx

Last edited by thainogkok : 11th June 2008 at 20:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks