Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2005, 14:42   #1
BHPian

Why Cant We Get 250 Horses Under 7 Lakh Inr

Man it sucks being in india!!

why cant we get more power for less price. My camaro was 16000usd which gives around 200+ horses. can we imagine the same here?

the other day my dad wanted a corolla, we went to the showroom and that guy there was telling that it is the ulimate luxury u can ever get. YUICKS!!!!!!!

It was the car sold around 14k $$ back in US, BELIEVE ME IT WAS THE SAME ****. I asked him why the difference. They just laughed and said Sir If I sell the car for 6 Lakhs I will be on the road Begging. Same case with c class it is 28L INR there it was 24k$$$

Government should do some thing on this inefficiencies. Every time government says anything abt duties that Bajaj guy says Im shutting the god damn Industry.

[size=5][color=darkred]Thoughts on this Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/color][/size]
Old 27th January 2005, 15:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

you have a good point vulken but i wonder we dont even get full 100horses for less than seven lakh rupees leave alone 200 or 250
Old 27th January 2005, 16:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Even if you get 250 bhp from a sub 7 lakh car, what will you do with it? Do 200kmph in Hyderabad?

Such a car will feel lost in this country. And it's not practical.

Shan2nu
Old 27th January 2005, 16:14   #4
BHPian

You can't compare the two countries and mind your words.. And if you have that kinda money to blow, bring your own car or get a custom one built from maybach guys..

Moderator Note: Kindly refrain from making personal statements in the future. It hurts the sensibilities of fellow members. Keep all arguements clean and non-personal henceforth.

Last edited by Revvmaster : 27th January 2005 at 16:27.
Old 27th January 2005, 16:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Admin : Any more slang and you will be permanently banned from this board

Last edited by turbo_lover : 27th January 2005 at 16:25.
Old 27th January 2005, 16:28   #6
BHPian

Hey guys, I choose to be an Indian so came back after leavin my good career back in US. I raised this issue because I want common person in india to see what we dont get for those kind of money !! GOT it
Old 27th January 2005, 16:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, I choose to be an Indian so came back after leavin my good career back in US. I raised this issue because I want common person in india to see what we dont get for those kind of money !! GOT it
But what you don't understand is that 250bhp isn't that easy to handle. And with a price tag of under 7 lakhs, every tom, dick and harry will have one. And what will they do with it, race it on the streets, lose control and kill themselves.

Watch any off the police videos that come on television and you'll see how dangerous these cars can be (in the wrong hands). I'm more than happy with my 106bhp car. I'll think of 250+ bhp car only when i see a grand racing circuit in town.

Shan2nu
Old 27th January 2005, 17:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Admin : Any more slang and you will be permanently banned from this board
Old 27th January 2005, 17:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

The simple reason that we dont get the full monty on cars here is - the manufacturers are smart !!

they study the market conditions and then launch the products - maybe these could be the outcome of their study

1) no proper roads
2) no driving manners
3) car has to be cheap to buy and maintain too
4) they still perceive India as a developing country that has comparatively less spending power
5) for a majority of the population , cars are a luxury not necessity
6) car should be highly fuel efficient ( the rising costs of petrol add up here)
7) for a majority of the population , technologically advanced cars are a no-no
8) maybe the govt. mite butt in with duties and stuff

isnt it??

everybody is welkome to add more to the list.

cheers
Old 27th January 2005, 17:40   #10
Team-BHP Support

Don't forget the quality of our fuel.
Old 27th January 2005, 19:15   #11
BHPian

Hmm, I agree with normally_crazy entirely. It appears that the governments philosophy on motor vehicles is to minimise the fuel exchequer. Coz imported fuel costs as much as 70% of our import costs and on top of it, we even claim 1200-1600 per month as vehicle maintenance in the form of tax-returns.

Vehicles in our country is still a luxury rather than a necessity and i prefer it that way. I remember, in USA you need a car even to go and buy milk at stop & shop so its a basic necessity. Remember WMDs and IRAQ?? We don't want that to happen to our country.

Besides 250 BHP engines are massive gas guzzlers and a huge strain on the economy. The USA is a 300 million people country while we are over a billion people.. If everybody had cars, where will you drive your vehicle (Imagine the traffic and parking situation)??

So the Indian Government has a bunch of thoughtful (even if a few of them are corrupt) heads at the top and they know what they are doing.. Got it??
Old 27th January 2005, 19:46   #12
BHPian

I don't think our market will ever become a high volume market like (back ) in US. And none of the big auto makers sell enough cars here to think of reducing their price even slightly.
Old 27th January 2005, 19:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Comprehensoin

Wow wow wow....Guys, Admin...moderator!!!!! The fact here is inderstanding the sensitivity of the issue at par with a debate and not controversy and incandescent senseless commentation...The tolerance of a motor enthusiast dwelling away from india but reciding in India today is much lesser than thorough bred indians and this isnt their mistake(wont blame them except the verbatim) at all coz the magnitude of their conerns which are appreciated where they have been staying, isnt possible in a country like India coz its developing and not developed yet or pure insensitivity on the part of governing bodies!!! The forecasting of traffic, parking, pollution, cost of living, fiscal deficit, WB loans etc is not at its best in this country unlike others coz of various linked factors and conflicting governments....But still we have the leverage of 21st century citizens which we do enjoy and take luxury of. It doesnt really take one to be a scientist to comprehend the glitches that needs to be fixed in this country but Im sure it would take a lot more than few dedicated scientists to fix it. I completely agree with man23ish, normally_crazy, rtech and shan2nu and really appreciate their level of connection with the nation we belong to... .Hats off to you BHP'ians and last but not the least MERA BHARATH MAHAAN .

Last edited by The Wolf : 27th January 2005 at 19:58. Reason: Appended
Old 27th January 2005, 20:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have a question for vulken auto, how many times have u used your 200horses on your camaro and taken it beyond the speed limit without the fear of getting your license suspended? im sure you will be able to count that on your hands.
autopsyche is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2005, 21:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
I have a question for vulken auto, how many times have u used your 200horses on your camaro and taken it beyond the speed limit without the fear of getting your license suspended? im sure you will be able to count that on your hands.
WELL Guess what I did use it more than my fingers. the speed limit in florida was 80 mph at some places and guess every one goes 95 mph . thats the rule. I did have a Radar jammer to stop the freaking cops. Guys I meant to post it here because I want the Bhpians who spend lakhs on turbos, Nos, inter coolers and other stuff to know it was easy to get that extra BHP we are dyin for at very competitive prices.

Although I didnt anticipate the conversation to go this way What I really meant was [color=darkorange]Why cant We get an accent under 2L under 3 lakhs If it was possible in US[/color]

Thanks for your comments on this Issue guys

VULKEN AUTO

Most Viewed