Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2008, 17:46   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Even the front grill sucks! The headlights are the only saving grace upfront.

Elito
The headlights stick out when viewed from the sides, like real frog eyes. Not that impressive, IMO. I saw the car earlier this week, not as bad as it looks on the pics. Do agree that the outgoing Accord was much better in comparison.
Old 13th May 2008, 17:49   #62
Senior - BHPian

Just got a call from Honda in Agra, says preview is tommorrow and they have a Black Accord with them. Cost is starting from 16.75 Lacs Ex-Showroom !!

I thought it was supposed to be more expensive.

Also saw the updated website. I personally think it looks stunning except the boot part.
Old 13th May 2008, 17:53   #63
Senior - BHPian

A Photo from the website - Now I think that is stunning.

New Honda Accord - Launched Pics on Pg 6-img_inspire.jpg
Old 13th May 2008, 18:16   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
A Photo from the website - Now I think that is stunning.

Attachment 15044
Thats the Inspire version which is only available in automatic -18.14L ex show room for this model. The Elegance is without the bodykit at 17.24L ex showroom for the auto. Prices quoted by Pearl Honda in Gurgaon.

One minor dissapointing thing -Bijoy Y and Bob Rupani test drove the 8th gen a few days ago and they state that there are no steering mounted control as Honda felt that most people would be chauffered in the back - so instead there is a built in audio remote control in the back.

Click on The Business Standard article for more details.
Top Story - Haunted by success - Business Standard Motoring

Oh God - Decisions, Decisions!!

Last edited by vcash : 13th May 2008 at 18:21.
Old 13th May 2008, 18:42   #65
Senior - BHPian

Caught the new Accord 2.4 manual, being tested on the expressway by a Car magazine on my way back from Pune a couple of days ago. They had stopped for refueling whereas I was checking my tyre pressure.
Had a brief chat with the guys who said the car (the 2.4) would be priced around the price of the current 3.0 litre model, that means it will cost around 18-19 lakhs. That i feel is steep for a 2.4
According to them the handling was much superior and the the engine more peppy. The interiors are well appointed but look quite like the car it will replace.
The steering looks like adapted from the swift but the two tyred dash from the Civic should have been incorporated. Also I believe, the auto will not come with paddle shifts a la Civic
The appearance of the car is very muscular and the rear reminds me of the current gen BMW 7 series more than that of the current gen Sonata. Before i could dig out my digicam and take pics they were off to testing again. Will try to dig out the pics which I had transfered to my comp and post.
Old 13th May 2008, 19:14   #66
Team-BHP Support

vkochar - those rims are horrible.
Old 13th May 2008, 19:19   #67
BHPian

Hey Gogi Bhai - Nice to see you around these parts! I guess your expertise and observations are not limited to classics and imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Had a brief chat with the guys who said the car (the 2.4) would be priced around the price of the current 3.0 litre model, that means it will cost around 18-19 lakhs. That i feel is steep for a 2.4
Hmmm... Based on the pricing that was provided to me in Gurgaon, it does not seem that bad. The manual would work out to about 17.XX on road which is still shy of the earlier 3.0L pricing.

Quote:
According to them the handling was much superior and the the engine more peppy. The interiors are well appointed but look quite like the car it will replace.
I must disagree here - Having driven the 7th Gen Accord quite a bit in India and for a limited period in the US, based on pictures, the interiors are better appointed and have a distinct look compared to the old model. Granted it is not as radical as the Civic but then this caters to a slightly different demographic.

Quote:
The steering looks like adapted from the swift but the two tyred dash from the Civic should have been incorporated. Also I believe, the auto will not come with paddle shifts a la Civic
As per updated specs on Honda India's website along with the BS Motoring article (They drove the 8th Gen in India vs. Autocar driving it in Thailand), the autobox will come with paddle shifts.

I will check the car out dayafter and hope to post a detailed report on packaging and pricing.
Old 13th May 2008, 20:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Going to Honda tomorrow. Will try to update on on-road prices in Mumbai, delivery etc.
Old 13th May 2008, 20:36   #69
BHPian

To me it looks very much like the old Honda City(in terms of proportions), just a lot more polished.
Old 13th May 2008, 21:31   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
The headlights stick out when viewed from the sides, like real frog eyes. Not that impressive, IMO. I saw the car earlier this week, not as bad as it looks on the pics. Do agree that the outgoing Accord was much better in comparison.
Well Everyone would say outgoing Accord was better. But i kinda like the headlights. Got a good appeal. The rear is where Honda screwed it up IMO.
Old 13th May 2008, 21:45   #71
BHPian

Bangalore prices

Bangalore prices:

Accord VTi-L M/T : Rs.1,657,000
Accord VTi-L A/T : Rs.1,732,000

Ex-showroom..Looks like the auto may come at the price around the 2L CRV! The auto version is still the 2.4 version and not the V6 with the ability to run on 3 cylinders..

CRV prices:

2WD MT : Rs.1,720,000
4WD MT : Rs.1,845,000
4WD AT : Rs.1,915,000
Old 13th May 2008, 21:48   #72
Senior - BHPian

The price of the Manual Tranny base model looks pretty good. I think for a change, a honda is decent value for money.
Old 13th May 2008, 22:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

I think the pricing is much lower than most of us expected & is certainly going to cause more trouble for Camry sales!
Old 13th May 2008, 22:58   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Bangalore prices:

Accord VTi-L M/T : Rs.1,657,000
Accord VTi-L A/T : Rs.1,732,000

Ex-showroom..Looks like the auto may come at the price around the 2L CRV! The auto version is still the 2.4 version and not the V6 with the ability to run on 3 cylinders..
Those were the prices for the 7th Gen Accord, new price list for Bangalore is expected on 15th May as it is the launch day for Karnataka. Honda website is am sure displaying the old prices as the new Accord comes in 3 variants - Basic, Elegance & Inspire.
Old 13th May 2008, 23:05   #75
BHPian

I had seen new accord in Chanakya Puri Area with a paper Temp number instead of number plate.
It was coming frm the opposite side so couldnt seen much of it.

Most Viewed