Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2005, 03:03   #16
BHPian

4200 km report Skoda Vrs

4200km report

MODS

k&N air filter from Ks motorsports

problems so far

-> Noise from rear seats/rear passenger door/parcel tray ....... basically problem not yet solved in 5 visits to autobahn sewri ... even got a mechanic to sit in my boot while i drove the car around so as to locate the source , but no luck ........

-> leaking sunroof ...told by .Service centre problem was bent drainage pipe ......they have also put layers of double sided tape under the glass(extremely crude )

-> loose power window switch front passenger side ....Service centre says that they would need to change the entire panel only skoda can authorise ... have noticed this on my neighbors Vrs as well ...could be a Vrs side panel problem

autobahn sewri has really messed up my interiors .... the cloth inserts and the white carpeting are a pain and the mechanics dont care ...got marks all over

and no valet's for me as well i not even my drivers are allowed ....and even the car cleaner dosnt get the key to cleean the car ....

BUT still this being mumbai i already have more than my share of ugly scratches and scrapes

BEsides this i love my Vrs ...... amaizing fun to drive

ps: planing to add electric folding mirrors and a self dimming rear view mirror
Old 10th February 2005, 10:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Noise from rear seats/rear passenger door/parcel tray ....... basically problem not yet solved in 5 visits to autobahn sewri ... even got a mechanic to sit in my boot while i drove the car around so as to locate the source , but no luck ........
hey man. I think I mentioned this in another post. The sound is from the rear door hinges, which get a bit loose. This is a standard problem for all Octavia's (so it seems) and Navin had the same problem with his RS and I had it with the TDi. Take it back to Sewri and tell them to adjust/tighten the door hinges.

Quote:
-> leaking sunroof ...told by .Service centre problem was bent drainage pipe ......they have also put layers of double sided tape under the glass(extremely crude )
hmm. That is the one thing I was always afraid of with sunroofs! But for it to start leaking with barely 4200km's on the clock, that's inexcusable. Don't let them get away with a patchwork repair job, as you will just face worse problems later on, and it will be expensive once the warranty runs out.
Old 10th February 2005, 11:49   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey
4200km report
ps: planing to add electric folding mirrors and a self dimming rear view mirror
i wish these had been given. i asked and pleaded for the electric folding mirrors and a 4 spoke (L&K) steering wheel but no dice.
Old 10th February 2005, 11:56   #19
Team-BHP Support

[quote=Rtech]hey man. I think I mentioned this in another post. The sound is from the rear door hinges, which get a bit loose. This is a standard problem for all Octavia's (so it seems) and Navin had the same problem with his RS and I had it with the TDi. Take it back to Sewri and tell them to adjust/tighten the door hinges........
That is the one thing I was always afraid of with sunroofs!QUOTE]

1. i got my skoda in early october. cant remember if it has seen rain yet. but when i pour water on it (i clean it myself). i dont see any water coming inside. rain is another matter.

2. i think you go tme mixed up with sbfx. i have been lucky as far as noises go so far. no door noises. cant one tighten these hinges themselves?

one wierd thing though. at times the sunroof doe not seal 100% and one has to open and close the roof again. this is esp true when one uses the partly open position where the sun roof is at an angle (let air in without the wind noise).

i have compared the mechanics of the RS roof with that of a 380SL (ok unfair but that was the only sun roof i had access to) and the 380SL is light years ahead of the RS esp given the fact that the 380 i compared to is over 15 yrs old. The owner of the 380 BTW also cleans his car himself. He's no dolt. Got schlarships to MIT and HBS!
Old 10th February 2005, 16:05   #20
BHPian

Finally got the rear noise problem sorted by Autobahn yesterday. It does seem to be fairly common problem. And yes - you do NOT want those mechanics with oily overalls sittiing on your white RS seats. I too had to shampoo my seat after returning home.

Now coming to the "Testing Engine Electronics" warning light which goes on every 600 to 700 km - i can see these Skoda guys fumbling badly since they are not able to resolve it even after 5 visits to their garage. Last time they kepy my car for 3 days !

I have now written to them that I would like to return the car.

Last edited by vikram_s : 10th February 2005 at 16:09.
Old 11th February 2005, 20:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

awwww comeon this cant happen......this is so sad.......but at least, the dealers are ready in fixing it up.......
Old 15th February 2005, 13:03   #22
BHPian

...for the benefit of other RS owners.....here is an update on the "Testing Engine Electronics Warning light.

A knowledgeable Skoda rep took a good look at the car and the light was due to and a loose connection in the air intake pipe. The fuel filter too has messed up due to bad fuel .....and I thought that the HP owned pump at Bandra was safe. So much for that.

The RS requires 91 or 95 RON - preferably WITHOUT additives. Does anyone know of a good petrol pump at Bandra that I should visit ?
Old 15th February 2005, 16:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

try the bandra kurla complex HP pump if its not too much out of your way...the one near icici bank, autocar india fill their cars from there...so im guessing its fuel quality is good.

Drifter
Old 15th February 2005, 22:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Mad monkey, in another forum i was advising not to go in for free flow air filter on diesel octavias, i didnt mention that it applies to the petrol version as well. The K&N's and similar high airflow filters and induction kits are steel mesh with oil based as compared to your OE paper based filters.

The oil from the filters is vapourized and flown into the throttle body with the incoming air and begins to settle down in the interiors, as a check u might want to remove ur filter and run a finger around inside the throttle body to see if it feels oily as compared to a normal octavia (might not be very prominent co it depends on the time period the filter has been in use). This oil slowly starts accumulating on the MAF sensor as well which is the first in line after the filter, and goes on until the sensor eventually deteriorates and starts sending false signals and brings up your warning light.

I have a live case with me at hand - a friend's diesel octavia who was using a Nitto cone filter for the last 8 months and now has a failed MAF sensor thats why im pretty darn sure about it.

Regards

Arush
Old 16th February 2005, 00:16   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_s
and I thought that the HP owned pump at Bandra was safe. So much for that.
Damn, i am goin to kill that petrol pump... i had the sameee problem few years back in my mercedes... had to pay a bomb to get the fuel filter changed due to alot of dirt accumilated in it.... i got really pissed got it changed and took the old filter back to the petrol pump office and blasted them since i have had an account with them for more than 15 yrs now and all my cars r filled from there everytime and the owner knows my account well as our usage is pretty high... i brought the entire office down since i have a right to do so since i am a regular and old customer there... the manager there was like there no way that it from out petrol pump and stuff... i told him u very well know that this is the only place we will petrol from i see my cars come in every second day so dont gimme that bull that u think i fill up somewhr else...he promtly agreed... he took my outside did some test in front of me and told me some scientific measurement that we r allowed these many impurities and look we r way below the limit and crap.... he is like i am goin to bring this up with mercedes they cannot blame it on the petrol and stuff... i kept the fuel filter with him as he said he wants to send it to them with a later.... i dont know wat happened after that since i left to come back to school in new york and forgot abt it.

P.S - Also i was always filled up with power in all my cars and mercedes adviced me not to do so for some reason so maybe that could have screwed up my fuel filter

Last edited by Sahil : 16th February 2005 at 00:17.
Old 16th February 2005, 10:18   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
P.S - Also i was always filled up with power in all my cars and mercedes adviced me not to do so for some reason so maybe that could have screwed up my fuel filter
Thats the same thing Skoda advise you for their cars. Atleast the diesel. Do not fill up "turbojet" or other fuel with additives in it. They advice their customers to stick with regular diesel.
Old 16th February 2005, 10:47   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
The oil from the filters is vapourized and flown into the throttle body with the incoming air and begins to settle down in the interiors, as a check u might want to remove ur filter and run a finger around inside the throttle body to see if it feels oily as compared to a normal octavia (might not be very prominent co it depends on the time period the filter has been in use). This oil slowly starts accumulating on the MAF sensor as well which is the first in line after the filter, and goes on until the sensor eventually deteriorates and starts sending false signals and brings up your warning light.

Arush
I second this, have been reading about this on some other forums in the UK - avoid oil based filters
Old 16th February 2005, 11:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_s
The RS requires 91 or 95 RON - preferably WITHOUT additives.
Do we get high-octane petrol without additives here? Do Speed-93 and Power-93 and XtraPremium contain additives? This kind of puts owners in a soup, right?
Old 16th February 2005, 13:04   #29
BHPian

Fuel problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
Do we get high-octane petrol without additives here? Do Speed-93 and Power-93 and XtraPremium contain additives? This kind of puts owners in a soup, right?

hey 'drifter' - thanks for the info.

Speed93,Power93 and Xtrapremium come with additives already premixed and hence we could conclude that the Octavia RS 'is out of place' since the required fuel is not available in India today !!

Although I have asked the company what to do - I have not received a clear response.

But given the fact that regular unleaded fuel is the mass product, there is bound to be more adulteration - (which I suspect happens even probably even before the fuel reaches the pump thanks to the fuel mafia), it may be better to use one of the above premium fuels.
Old 16th February 2005, 13:15   #30
Team-BHP Support

Ask Sachin if you could borrow some from his private stock!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks