Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2005, 17:47   #1
BHPian

Problems on the Skoda RS

I've been having two problems on my new three month old RS (driven 2,700 km). The "Testing Engine Electronics" warning light goes on every 600 odd km and has to be reset by the dealer.

The second problem is suspension noise from the rear wheel when the car goes over a speed breaker.

Wonder if any RS owners are facing similar issues.

Viky
Old 27th January 2005, 18:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The second problem is suspension noise from the rear wheel when the car goes over a speed breaker.
I don't have an RS, but I had this same problem with my TDi. It was not the suspension that was the problem, but the rear door was actually a bit loose on its hinges. It took like 10 minutes for them to fix. Better get it fixed soon before the hinges themselves work loose.

I think this is a problem with a lot of cars, as I've heard the same sound on other Octi's as well. Maybe Skoda should check that part of the assembly line.
Old 27th January 2005, 19:49   #3
BHPian

Hi Viky,

I have a RS too and it makes a noise from the rear door on bumps and breakers nothing major I think would have to re-adjust the rear door hinge as rtech pointed out, I hope to take it one of these days to get it fixed.

Regards,
Satyam
Old 27th January 2005, 22:59   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The clunking is okay, its the testing engine electronics light that would scare the daylights out of me.

Vikram, find out why its recurring. And blow the service station apart for an answer.

GTO
Old 28th January 2005, 03:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

These r all small problems....wait till the rains come in u will have a BIG problem alll the RS owners.....I just went out with a couple of frnds to olive tonite and a frnd that joined me thr got his new RS so i told him let me take it for a SPIN and boyyyy did i SPINNN in it!! Since it rained a little bit tonite carter road was wet, i pushed the accelerator hard and wheel spin was beyond my control...i stopped thinkin the roads r too wet to press the accelerator so fast so i did it abit slowly this time and the car just would stay in place after 2000 rpm the minute the turbo kicked in it lost control! My frnd was shocked he then took over the wheel and was really worried abt the same....he kept sayin that its the first rains tahts y the car is skidding but i told him this is a wayy too much out of control.....he insisted the same would happen on my accord..... i called for my car from the valet and took on the same patch floored it totally the car was perfect no loss of traction....yes if i tried to turn maybe it would did a bit off control coz the roads were slippery but not half as bad as wat was happening in the RS. The RS needs some reallll good rubber!!
Also he had the same problem of the door rattling sounds.

Last edited by Sahil : 28th January 2005 at 03:07.
Old 28th January 2005, 04:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_s
The "Testing Engine Electronics" warning light goes on every 600 odd km and has to be reset by the dealer.
Hey Vikram,

Firstly, is this specifcly a "test (ing?) ENGINE ELECTRONICS" light or just an "engine warning" or something like that?

A warning light could come on for a variety of reasons, ranging from something as minor as a service reminder, to something as major and dangerous as a brake fluid leak.

However, in your case, if i were to take a guess, i would say it is something like a loose connection to one of the sensors in the intake/engine/exhaust system.

So the question is, when you take it to the dealer, do they simply reset the system and its fine? or do they check all the conections and sensors etc (possibly replacing a sensor that keeps failing?) and then everything is fine untill it fails again, or until the connection gets loose again..? So ask them what exactly they have been doing, and that will shed some more light on your problem for us.

cya
R
Old 28th January 2005, 11:49   #7
BHPian

Hi Sahil,

The wheels spinning out of control is kind of odd maybe your friends ASR system is mal-functioning, I have just started ripping my RS thou never found a wet patch as yet but I still am confident it wouldn’t behave as you make it out to be. Also next time give a little respect to your friends new RS let him run it in properly and then you can start your honeymoon with her.

Regards,
Satyam.

PS: When did it rain at carters in the recent past?

Last edited by sbfx : 28th January 2005 at 11:52.
Old 28th January 2005, 12:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
i called for my car from the valet and took on the same patch floored it totally the car was perfect no loss of traction.....
you let a valet park your accord and RS? brave man!
Old 28th January 2005, 13:38   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

PS: When did it rain at carters in the recent past?
It rained last nite. My Open Jeep = Wet Jeep. Spent 3 hours before work just taking every drop of water out.

Quote:
Also next time give a little respect to your friends new RS let him run it in properly and then you can start your honeymoon with her.

GTO
Old 28th January 2005, 14:16   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the advice guys. I am new here but this site is just great.

My RS car has gone back to the dealer who is checking the warning light issue -- for the 3rd time. Hopefully they will figure it out before it runs out of warranty. We will see if Skoda's 'obsession with quality' is for real.

Surprisingly Skoda India do not even offer an extended warranty.

By the way, which is the better Skoda dealer in Mumbai ? Any good\bad service experiences....

Viky
Old 28th January 2005, 15:53   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha...the reason i ripped his RS is coz the day i got my accord he had a blast with it.... and its been 2 yrs since he got a new car so i jumped on it...so this is the only time i would get my revenge on it :P also i am leaving to go back to school in new york tomm so last night was my last chance to burn some skoda rubber.
Abt the valet thing....well i was very very possesive with my car before and never gave it for valet and the more possesive i got the more scratches came on it some how and even tough i have no even scrapped it abit till date (touchwood) some how first year someone or the other in my house drove it once in a blue moon and came back with a scratch and **** so now i just dont take tension the more u get obsessed the more it gets screwed. And besides while clubbin in bombay u dont have much of a choice its a big pain parking ur own car at friday nights and saturday nights outside any club so i just give it for valet. And yes my frnd is an even bigger fool his RS is brand new and he gave it for valet haha
Old 28th January 2005, 16:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
so now i just dont take tension the more u get obsessed the more it gets screwed.
Funny,but don't u guys agree this is so damn true!! Murphys Law??
cheers,
Rai
Old 28th January 2005, 19:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan
Funny,but don't u guys agree this is so damn true!! Murphys Law??
cheers,
Rai

I double that

satyam.
Old 29th January 2005, 01:00   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_s
My RS car has gone back to the dealer who is checking the warning light issue -- for the 3rd time.
Just make sure you get a proper explaination from someone who KNOWS what they are talking about...and not just the point of contact guy who gives a general answer like "wiring ka problem tha".

let us know.
R
Old 29th January 2005, 09:53   #15
Team-BHP Support

I'd scan the service reports and send them to Imran Hassan (CEO, Skoda).

I suspect that places like Olive, Rain, Athena, etc... will "indvertantly" scrath your car if you do not give it to their valet. Places like Taj, JW, Bombay Gym, etc usurp public roads for their customers. It is really a no win situation.

The only option is to frequent places where parking is more avaialble and maybe walk a few blocks (ok for the 2 months of good weather we have). I have friends who go out so often that they have 2 drivers (day shift and night shift).

This is an issue with every major city (NY, FRA, LON, SNG, HK atleast). However all these cities have public transport systems (trains, cabs) that are tolerable.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks