Fiat Palio 1.3 JTD 192 35.29%
Hyundai Getz 1.5Crdi 91 16.73%
Tata Indica Dicor 30 5.51%
Palio Stile 1.6 72 13.24%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 00:51   #316
Senior - BHPian

Getz any day, if i have to choose from the lot above! Getz any day baby, IMO its the most powerful car, FE is as good as any of the ones above, it might lack the ABS but it equals the swift with abs i have TDriven both the cars(stock) and this is what i concluded! The swift's brakes needs to be made better!

service part it equals maruti if not better(a little expensive than maruti though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
isnt it premature to consider the new indica and the palio ? does anyone know what would be the specs of the engine in these cars? i have a feeling TATA and even FIAT for that matter might choose to detune the engine and extract better mileage ..so one needs to check the specs before commenting

why vote for palio or Indica when one has not test driven the cars in comparison to the swift or getz?

well you ask me the same question, at the end of the day these cars are not even close to getz in terms of sheer performance, and thus i pick GETZ CRDi VGT! any day!

Last edited by rider60 : 27th March 2008 at 01:01.
Old 27th March 2008, 01:01   #317
BHPian

Getz CRDI has VGT and Swift DDiS has FGT.
Does Palio 1.3MJD and Indica DICOR have FGT? I am not sure if this is mentioned anywhere in the thread or did I miss something?
Old 27th March 2008, 10:40   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The biggest problem with Indica is its driving position and rear wheels which dont seem to hold on to their camber.
I dont know about rear wheel camber, but the driving position was actually spot on. Have they made slight adjustments to the steering position on this car, I wonder? I half expected to have the steering staring me in the face but it didnt happen.

Quote:
Palio has none of these problems, although the plastics can be better, they are still better than Indica, the steering, the driving position are much much better than Indica and how can we forget the 1.3 MJD engine, there is a reason why TATA has chosen the 1.3 MJD over its own 1.4 DICOR engine in the upcoming Indica V3.
Hmmm....the plastics on the Palio LOOKED worse than the simple black in the Indica. It actually looks cheap in comparison. Actual quality may be different, but the insides of the Palio look positively TACKY.

The driving position on the Palio is no better or worse than the Indica, but the Indica does offer you space for your feet while driving. I hit the accelerator and brake on the Palio again today and this is really frustrating. I remember someone here mentioning 'heel and toe' - far from it, this is toe and toe. There is no space for any heel in that wheelwell, and if you were to try heel and toe your heel would end up either inside the transmission tunnel or the wheelwell.

I havent had a chance to drive the MJD yet - the car will arrive later today or tomorrow, but I really doubt if the engine is going to be the differentiator in performance. Based on on-paper specs, anyway, the Indica Dicor exceeds the expectations one may have from a 68 bhp, 14 kgm unit - it is great fun.
Old 27th March 2008, 10:46   #319
Team-BHP Support

camber problem? What camber problem. None of the indica's we owned(1999 onwards, 4 vehicles in family) got this problem.
But then we don't run a taxi service so we don't load twice permitted weight at the rear.
I have seen commercial indica's used for ferrying 5 people on back seat, and also many times goods with back seat flattened.
On those vehicles things will definitely get a little twisty
Old 27th March 2008, 11:54   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
camber problem? What camber problem. None of the indica's we owned(1999 onwards, 4 vehicles in family) got this problem.
But then we don't run a taxi service so we don't load twice permitted weight at the rear.
I have seen commercial indica's used for ferrying 5 people on back seat, and also many times goods with back seat flattened.
On those vehicles things will definitely get a little twisty
By camber i mean the rear wheels on an Indica looks like this / \ when they should be straight like this | | and this problem as I said is not just with car's being used as taxi's but even the private one's.
My office has a lot of Indica taxi's for employee transport and at most times there are only 2 or max 3 people on the rear seat, even then the camber isnt right for most of them.
I got talking to the service manager of Dhingra Automobiles in gurgaon and even he admitted to this problem. If you still think this isnt a problem, look at Indica's running on roads and if you are following one, look a little more closely this time.
Old 27th March 2008, 12:02   #321
BANNED

Oh my god! / \ or | |
What a way of fault finding is that? Actually all the cars have similar arrangement for their wheels to perform well.

I agree with Steer on the footwell space. It's very very tight in a Palio. The Indica is far better in this department.
Same goes with the facia. It's utterly ugly and tacky in the MJD (worse than the Stile). Other than the stereo position, everything else is not worth a second look.
Old 27th March 2008, 12:09   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I dont know about rear wheel camber, but the driving position was actually spot on. Have they made slight adjustments to the steering position on this car, I wonder? I half expected to have the steering staring me in the face but it didnt happen.
And I find the driving position of the Palio spot on, the only problem being if you adjust your seat for clutch the accelerator is too close and vice versa. In case of the Indica, the seat is set too high, while the pedals are a little offset to left and the steering wheel is a tad big and oddly angled.
Or probably its a case of getting used to.... I own a Palio and I dont have a big foot, but I have read quite a number of articles and feedback claiming the driving position in Indica isnt right.

Quote:
Hmmm....the plastics on the Palio LOOKED worse than the simple black in the Indica. It actually looks cheap in comparison. Actual quality may be different, but the insides of the Palio look positively TACKY.
They may have looked worse and even I dont fancy beige but the next time you drive one, just operate the column stalks, see how flush fitting the glovebox is and you will get your answer.

Quote:
The driving position on the Palio is no better or worse than the Indica, but the Indica does offer you space for your feet while driving. I hit the accelerator and brake on the Palio again today and this is really frustrating. I remember someone here mentioning 'heel and toe' - far from it, this is toe and toe. There is no space for any heel in that wheelwell, and if you were to try heel and toe your heel would end up either inside the transmission tunnel or the wheelwell.
Cant say anything, I dont have big feet. Probably a case of getting used to again. No car is perfect.

Quote:
I havent had a chance to drive the MJD yet - the car will arrive later today or tomorrow, but I really doubt if the engine is going to be the differentiator in performance. Based on on-paper specs, anyway, the Indica Dicor exceeds the expectations one may have from a 68 bhp, 14 kgm unit - it is great fun.
Yes, i was amazed the first time drove the DICOR. Its very responsive, smooth and refined for a Tata engine. I was surprised when Autocar in its review said that DICOR has better performance but refinement is the same as the old TDi. Its the flat out performance that left me a little dissapointed, with 4 people in the car without AC I floored it in 3rd gear and although it accelerated nicely, its was nowhere close to the MJD. In case of MJD with 3 people in the car and AC on at full blast, the same excercize resulted in car sailing past 80 kmph with ease even when I was going up a flyover.
Old 27th March 2008, 12:30   #323
Team-BHP Support

0-100 times of the DICOR better that of MJD, and since torque comes in earlier at around 1500rpm, as compared to the MJDs 2000rpm, in city driving is more comfortable.
As for plastics and interior quality, both look similar(I have seen the insides of stile 1.1)

And coming back to camber problem, I always get alignment done every 10,000kms. So the camber is in the specs
/ \ I have seen on some cars, but can't figure out why? Maybe those people do not get alignment done for the rear wheels.
| | is not really the actual, slight curving is there, but it should always be in limits
Old 27th March 2008, 13:49   #324
BHPian

[quote=tsk1979;773555]0-100 times of the DICOR better that of MJD, and since torque comes in earlier at around 1500rpm, as compared to the MJDs 2000rpm, in city driving is more comfortable.
As for plastics and interior quality, both look similar(I have seen the insides of stile 1.1)

Guys its true that indica has improved a lot and more fun to drive.But interior is not as good as Fiat.Fiat interiors though outdated has a distinct feel(biege color is not that great) fit and finish.But indica still lacks it and gives you somewhat truckish feeling.I really liked the sporty nature of dicor but still felt Palio is worth 50k difference.My vote for MJD.

I never expected Fiat to lead the poll.This shows people would like to own one but are pushed away buy the poor image of FIAT india ***.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:29   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
0-100 times of the DICOR better that of MJD, and since torque comes in earlier at around 1500rpm, as compared to the MJDs 2000rpm, in city driving is more comfortable.
No, the maximum torque may come in at around 2000 rpm in the MJD but it starts pulling after 1500 rpm. Yes the low end torque in Indica Dicor is better and its more driveable in city but then it ought to be better given that its a VGT. And if Indica's low end torque is better I still cant figure out why it would be faster to 100 kph... may be till 60 or 80 kph it would be faster but not 0-100 for sure.

Quote:
I wouldnt agree with you here too. The quality is definitely better in MJD and interiors are better built and better fitted too, although the beige does look tacky.

Quote:
And coming back to camber problem, I always get alignment done every 10,000kms. So the camber is in the specs
/ \ I have seen on some cars, but can't figure out why? Maybe those people do not get alignment done for the rear wheels.
| | is not really the actual, slight curving is there, but it should always be in limits
Yes, may be, the taxi operators hate any sort of expense and will avoid it, until its absolutely neccesary but its there even in private cars and thats is why my argument.
I respect Indica for what it is. It will keep on running with minimum maintenance and although it will make all sorts of noises, it would still keep moving on. Any other small car will just blow itself apart if put through half the abuse the Indica takes regularly in the hands of taxi drivers.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:34   #326
srh
BHPian

Quote:
The Indica has independant suspension on the rear wheels and that too a trailing link. So there wouldn't be a problem with the angles.
Anyways, AFAIK castor and camber angles are adjustible only at the front.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:40   #327
BHPian

Quote:
While driving position is mostly personal choice, in my case at least, I have to completely disagree with you. The first time I sat behind a Palio wheel, every thing seemed to be compact and just in the right place. Within moments I was completely at ease and raring to go. The Indica, on the other hand, always feels kind of spaced out. I feel like I have to reach out to the gear shift, and the a/c controls etc. Of course you probably look for a different set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I agree with Steer on the footwell space. It's very very tight in a Palio. The Indica is far better in this department.
Same goes with the facia. It's utterly ugly and tacky in the MJD (worse than the Stile). Other than the stereo position, everything else is not worth a second look.
I have size 10 feet and I have no issues in heel and toe'ing. The problem to me is on the left side of the clutch pedal. No room to move my foot that way. That is a slight irritant to me.

About the facia , tell me, its the same old dash right? At least in terms of position of controls etc? Or have they changed anything? I was not aware that they had.
Old 27th March 2008, 19:30   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
why vote for palio or Indica when one has not test driven the cars in comparison to the swift or getz?
Getz test drive cars (or even showroom display cars) are not available YET here with any of the dealers. They all tell they can get the car only once booked!
Quote:
By camber i mean the rear wheels on an Indica looks like this / \ when they should be straight like this | | and this problem as I said is not just with car's being used as taxi's but even the private one's.
Indica has independent rear suspension. And, i dont think all owners do alignment properly everytime, or might be trusting the dealers to do it. Anyways, i have noticed this too, in few Indicas.
Quote:
They may have looked worse and even I dont fancy beige but the next time you drive one, just operate the column stalks, see how flush fitting the glovebox is and you will get your answer.
The plastics feel cheaper than Indica even. The edges of the plastics, even in parts of dashboard have rough patches which spoils the quality feel, and the look is bad too. However, the build quality of it is better than Indica, though not at all like the old tank it used to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebin View Post
I never expected Fiat to lead the poll.This shows people would like to own one but are pushed away buy the poor image of FIAT india ***.
FIAT wins almost every poll it participates, in team-bhp!
Old 27th March 2008, 19:45   #329
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I wonder how that happens. Any idea?

By the way, THIS poll was started way before the car was launched. So, most of the votes were wishes I guess.
Old 27th March 2008, 20:29   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indica has independent rear suspension. And, i dont think all owners do alignment properly everytime, or might be trusting the dealers to do it. Anyways, i have noticed this too, in few Indicas.
A lot of other cars have independent suspension too, I wonder why doen't it happen with them.

Quote:
The plastics feel cheaper than Indica even. The edges of the plastics, even in parts of dashboard have rough patches which spoils the quality feel, and the look is bad too. However, the build quality of it is better than Indica, though not at all like the old tank it used to be.
I am afraid its not the case. Someone even with the faintest idea of what quality and fit and finish is, would not have said it. May be you need to see/feel it one more time. Its surely not worse than Indica.
Be rest assured, its still the same old tank it used to be. Palio was a tank not for its plastic but for the chassis and the body panels and they are still the same.

Quote:
The question sayswhich car would you prefer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks