Tata Indica Dicor 30 5.51%
Palio Stile 1.6 72 13.24%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2008, 11:18   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
what is the power to weight? both are at 75Bhp - but is the palio heavier than the swift?
Both have the same weight. Surprisingly!!
Old 12th March 2008, 11:19   #92
Senior - BHPian

If the choice has to be between the Palio MJD and Swift DDis then I would buy the Palio with my eyes closed because

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Swift still has the lifeless electronic power steering and slack... it needs to coerced into taking a corner. I am not saying Palio Diesel would fare better, but swift isnt the ultimate drivers car.. .it cant be with that steering.
I own a Palio S10 and a SX4 and the EPS in the SX4 is easily the worst I have seen and driven in any car in my life! Forget lifeless the set up is so light that it's scary driving the SX4 at high speeds. Auomagazines claim 'sharp steering' of the SX4 as one of it's plus points. I don't know what they are smoking. A week of driving the SX4 and then when I drive the Palio, I realise what passionate engineering is all about. I know we are talking about Swift here but I don't think there is any difference in the EPS set up in Swift or SX4. Also, the MJD engines are barely 75 kgs heavier then petrol engines so I don't think the heavier diesel engine can improve steering feedback or handling to a very large extent.

Another problem in the SX4 is the suspension. The Palio SMOKES the SX4 over bad roads. When my SX4 goes over rough roads, I get thrown all over the seats, the car gets all jumpy and nervous. Female co-passengers have commented on how easy the Palio makes bad roads look and how stable it is on rough roads.

Please note that the SX4 weighs over 12xx kgs compared to the Palio's 1086kgs.

For all the ABS, Airbags, climate control. steering mounted audio controls blah blah the Palio gives me more fun per kilometer then the SX4 ever can.

Quote:
Dont discount the FIAT just like that... it might turn out be a better drivers car.
I have no doubts about that!

Last edited by amit : 12th March 2008 at 11:26.
Old 12th March 2008, 11:22   #93
BHPian

Just called the KR Road showroom in Bangalore for a TD. The guy said that the car is not yet launched in BLR. Will be launched in 4 days' time. He promised to call me and fix up a TD once they have the car ready and avbl. Pity that Vinay is no longer with Manipal Motors.

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 12th March 2008, 11:24   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm willing Fiat India to hit it big with this car - this car has what it takes technically to strike at the Swift.

However, if they repeat the same mistakes from the past and shoot down their own product, they have no business selling cars in India and should straight away shut shop and head back.
Old 12th March 2008, 11:25   #95
tez
BHPian

with all the excitement of Palio MJD, i wonder will the spares remain as costly as they are for Stile. I am a fan of FIAT but with such highly priced spares, it dissuades me from buying one. All the stile owners, your comments please.
Old 12th March 2008, 11:30   #96
Senior - BHPian

Is no one just interested at all in the Indica DiCOR and the Getz.
Old 12th March 2008, 11:30   #97
BHPian

when is the new indica (is it v3) being launched with the mjd engine?
Old 12th March 2008, 11:48   #98
Senior - BHPian

Palio will become a hit only in cities where there is easy access for service centres . FIAT has to improve seriously on it and also with advertising .
Old 12th March 2008, 11:50   #99
Team-BHP Support

Actually swift Vdi is heavier by 10 kilos if i remember correct
Old 12th March 2008, 11:51   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Is no one just interested at all in the Indica DiCOR and the Getz.
i was hoping someone would ask that . I throwed some light on getz few posts back . But still no one to continue it .
Old 12th March 2008, 11:53   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Because the price range is on a much higher side and the waiting period is quite long. I thought it would be better to compare simmilar priced variants.
Waiting period ? How did that get into the picture when comapring variants ? And weren't we comparing the top end variants, how did similarly priced variants come in ?

Quote:
I was comparing it with the swift not he older Palio/Stile
What I wanted to say was all the features were present in the Palio Stile / Older Palio 1.1/1.2/1/6 - whats new ?

Quote:
Not mentioned in the Diesel Version.
My bad - so the Palio MJD does not have an antenna.

Quote:
NO. Not the Diesel Swift or Palio.
Thanks for confirming that - I wasn't sure hence the "?".
Old 12th March 2008, 12:00   #102
Senior - BHPian

Got to drive the Indica Dicor yesterday night and compared to the older Indica - It simply blew my mind.

My view on the Indica being the slowest accelerating car was blown to bits - the Dicor engine making all the difference.

Extremely torquey and driveable - the Indica now feels great to drive.

There is engine noise (a lot infact) but its better when the car is warmed up and running along with the windows closed.

The steering response felt crisper too and the handling was nice while retaining the famed ride quality.

Interiors were a let down again - cannot see any improvement there.

FE - I got was around 14 kmpl.

So would I buy it ? Definitely YES.

A responsive engine, crisp steering, loads of space, good handling and ride quality, cheap maintainence (?) and A.S.S all over the country - wouldn't you ?
Old 12th March 2008, 12:05   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Got to drive the Indica Dicor yesterday night and compared to the older Indica - It simply blew my mind.

My view on the Indica being the slowest accelerating car was blown to bits - the Dicor engine making all the difference.

Extremely torquey and driveable - the Indica now feels great to drive.

There is engine noise (a lot infact) but its better when the car is warmed up and running along with the windows closed.

The steering response felt crisper too and the handling was nice while retaining the famed ride quality.

Interiors were a let down again - cannot see any improvement there.

FE - I got was around 14 kmpl.

So would I buy it ? Definitely YES.

A responsive engine, crisp steering, loads of space, good handling and ride quality, cheap maintainence (?) and A.S.S all over the country - wouldn't you ?
But dont you think every one would think twice of spending some 20-40K more for a FIAT or a Maruti rather than a TATA with the current image it has. I agree that TATA has changed a lot over the years. But their image remains almost same in common mans mind.
Old 12th March 2008, 12:11   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Waiting period ? How did that get into the picture when comapring variants ? And weren't we comparing the top end variants, how did similarly priced variants come in ?
Oh!. Thanks. At around 20K extra you can add ABS to the Swift Top end version. The palio does not mention of such an option. I guess i missed to mention that earlier.
Old 12th March 2008, 12:11   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The last line should hold true for the Fiat as well. I guess the difference will be pricing, branding and the fact that Fiat engine is a more tried and tested product compared to the Dicor. The people at Tata-Fiat JV who decide the pricing must be going mad trying to fit all the cars in different pricing segments !!

Most Viewed