Fiat Palio 1.3 JTD 192 35.29%
Hyundai Getz 1.5Crdi 91 16.73%
Tata Indica Dicor 30 5.51%
Palio Stile 1.6 72 13.24%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 23:27   #346
BHPian

I too feel the same. The pedals of Palio are too close to each other.
Old 27th March 2008, 23:27   #347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
When there are no facts to be shared, all we hear is RHETORICS!
When was the last time you shared facts, my friend? Opinions never make facts, do they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
well i am among the 36 few who voted for getz crdi but thats some nice marketing on the fiat 1.3 by steeroid, are you in advertising dude -
Go through the previous pages. Then only you'll understand the post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
What is a Distinguished - BHPian?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...ed-bhpian.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th March 2008 at 23:29.
Old 27th March 2008, 23:48   #348
Team-BHP Support

This thread is going funny.
Pitting two antique pieces against each other.
Come to think of it, the indica is a 1998 design, 10 years old. Having bigger wheel arches does not make a new car.
The DICOR is a step in the forward direction, but detuned because the g.box is essentially the old one which will implode if any more torque is fed into it.
Ditto for the Palio, its an old old design with new headlights.
But then the real fight is going to be between them?
Getz crdi, the best of the lot if you look at the power, comfort and interiors has outpriced itself. That 110bhp engine is a hoot(have driven the Verna, and getz can't be worse). Egronomically the getz lends itself to a very comfortable ride. Both Palio and Indica are not really comfortable drives. As a long distance driver, I find indica tiring. Ditto for the Palio, not an egronomical champion.
I used to think indica a comfortable car(because all I had driven was the gypsy and the M800), but santro and getz came along to prove me wrong. esp the getz.
But hyundai is not keen on selling any diesel getz here in India. I think they just introduced it to brag about the fastest hatch(D) in market today(south of 10L atleast).

Now lets talk about the other baby. The swift DDiS.
Well they can't produce enought of them. Good for Tata and Fiat. Because if the 2 month waiting time went away they would sell 12000 swifts a month.
Does not matter much from Fiat POV, because Fiat does not sell much.

Its a flop show.
It may do 0-100 in 2 seconds and give 2000kms to a liter, but as far as the public is concerned, its a flop show. Sorry Palio fans, nothing can revive a dead brand.
And something which does not improve deserves this fate.

I would like a die hard Fiat fan to drive the 2002 GTX.
Then come and spend time with the stile 1.6. Or do the same with the 1.2 vs 1.1

Everybody(including FIAT lovers) I have asked say the old GTX was special.
So FIAT has regressed.
Now has anybody here driven a 1999 indica?
Well I have.
Extensively.
I used to dread it. I hated the damn thing, and cursed Mr. Ratan Tata every time I had to drive the horrid contraption. It was not a car, it was a nightmare.
But in 2002, when I drove the new V2, it seemed like a car from another manufacturer.
Recently I had the pleasure to drive the Indica Turbo.
It felt miles ahead of my "new V2".
When you look at Tata you see constant improvement.
You see the promise that future is brighter, and things will improve and improve.
What do you see when you see FIAT. The exact opposite.
Yea I know about Linea, yada yada yak yak, but a Palio MJD is not Linea.

We know for sure that a bigger better indica with a bigger engine, more legroom, better interiors is ready for launch.
As for the Palio, its is the last.
When FIAT was selling only Palio it could not give enough spares, so when it stops this car to bring in the future, there is a slim chance that things will be better for those who take the plunge!
Old 28th March 2008, 00:14   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I would like a die hard Fiat fan to drive the 2002 GTX.
Then come and spend time with the stile 1.6. Or do the same with the 1.2 vs 1.1

Everybody(including FIAT lovers) I have asked say the old GTX was special.
So FIAT has regressed.
Now has anybody here driven a 1999 indica?
Well I have.
Extensively.
I used to dread it. I hated the damn thing, and cursed Mr. Ratan Tata every time I had to drive the horrid contraption. It was not a car, it was a nightmare.
But in 2002, when I drove the new V2, it seemed like a car from another manufacturer.
Recently I had the pleasure to drive the Indica Turbo.
It felt miles ahead of my "new V2".
You see the promise that future is brighter, and things will improve and improve.
What do you see when you see FIAT. The exact opposite.
Very, very well put that, Tsk! Agree completely. If you asked me to choose between the two cars in, say 2002, I'd choose any variant of the Palio with my eyes closed. I genuinely believe that you still cant compare the Palios of yore to an Indica of the same era. Now, in 2008, I'm not so sure. I might even buy the Dicor ( after removing those fake wheel arches...and after giving it some decent rubber).
I'm sure any, and I mean any modern diesel engined car will be better than the Palio MJD. Whereas the old Palio (and the Palio 1.6 Stile to some extent) were in a class of their own, the MJD is almost rubbish IMO. Such a brilliant engine, and they've still managed to make it sound,drive, and feel like a mediocre car.
About the Swift D, awesome car to drive. But I'd still choose my 2003 Palio 1.6 S10 over it. Even after all these years, that car still makes me take the long way back home. Love it to bits!

Last edited by roms : 28th March 2008 at 00:29.
Old 28th March 2008, 06:51   #350
BHPian

The poll actually reflects our attitude of always supporting the "underdog". Palio MJD may be much safer to drive as it has a famous "tank" like feel, but the SWIFT DDIS is a much safer car to own because of its after sales service and better resale value. IMO Swift is clearly the winner; but at Team BHP the fiat fans rule the roost!!
Old 28th March 2008, 08:05   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
About the Swift D, awesome car to drive. But I'd still choose my 2003 Palio 1.6 S10 over it. Even after all these years, that car still makes me take the long way back home. Love it to bits!
Yes. I dont know why but that is exactly what i feel. I guess its got to do with the overall feel of driving. In straight Performance te swift D is awesome. But i felt that overall, If you love to drive, its the 1.6 that you would love.

Slightly. When i got the adventure all economics, family, friends, performance, F.E and a lot more were with the VDi. But somehow i loved sitting inside the adventure. I'd say the overall feel of driving is much better even when compared to the fusion 1.6. THough the fusion is miles ahead in terms of performance (specifically acceleration and handling). I still cant really tell you why. Maybe its a combination of the gear ratios and the smooth suspension and the tremendous low end torque available.

I still dont really understand why people are dead against FIAT. Does it not have its +ves and -ves just as any other car out there? While i agree that in comparison to the S10 and GTX (for that case even the initian normal 1.6-es) the Stile 1.6 has downgraded. But its still one of the best cars to drive around at that price segment. Thats one of the reasons i feel bad i did not grow up early enough to own a S10 or a GTX
Old 28th March 2008, 08:09   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
but at Team BHP the fiat fans rule the roost!!
Well Personally i feel that was a very bad statement to make. I dont think this forum is dominatd by any particular group. Otherwise we all would not have been here for this long. I've been in many groups but have sticked on to this due to its versatality. PLease refrain from such statements atleast in future. Just go through the threads and the discussions and you would understand how versatile the members are.
Old 28th March 2008, 10:30   #353
BHPian

The only thing makes Palio ahead is its driving pleasure. It gives a great fun to drive even at higher speed, changing lane so quickly without going out of control, that Swift doesnt offer.
Old 28th March 2008, 11:13   #354
BHPian

is the swift really that unstable compared to the palio - what renders it so unstable is it the shape, tires or suspension and if it is tires or suspension can't these be taken care of using aftermarket options. How would the getz crdi be in terms of stability (sans the lack of abs aspect) with some good aftermarket alloys n fat rubber
Old 28th March 2008, 11:33   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its a flop show.
It may do 0-100 in 2 seconds and give 2000kms to a liter, but as far as the public is concerned, its a flop show. Sorry Palio fans, nothing can revive a dead brand.
And something which does not improve deserves this fate.

You see the promise that future is brighter, and things will improve and improve. What do you see when you see FIAT. The exact opposite.

We know for sure that a bigger better indica with a bigger engine, more legroom, better interiors is ready for launch. As for the Palio, its is the last. When FIAT was selling only Palio it could not give enough spares, so when it stops this car to bring in the future, there is a slim chance that things will be better for those who take the plunge!
What you seem to forget is that Fiat India Automobiles Pvt Ltd is a 50-50 joint venture with TATA Motors on board. So every time a Palio sells, Tata get 50% of the profit (or loss). If the Fiat brand succeeds or fails in the Indian market, it affects TATA Motors as much as it affects Fiat Spa.

Now, Do you think TATA Motors would invest so much amount of money and energy in a brand which has no future in India? IMHO, the guys at TATA Motors dont look like fools to me.. fools who would go and throw good money after bad.

Fiat India :: Contact Us
Old 28th March 2008, 11:47   #356
BHPian

I voted for the Getz 1.5D even without testing it. 110bhp must be real fun!!!
Old 28th March 2008, 11:57   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
is the swift really that unstable compared to the palio - what renders it so unstable is it the shape, tires or suspension and if it is tires or suspension can't these be taken care of using aftermarket options. How would the getz crdi be in terms of stability (sans the lack of abs aspect) with some good aftermarket alloys n fat rubber
I dont know what exactly make it unstable than palio. But when I was doing the same with Swift, I scared doing so, which I never felt in my Palio. I read in some post that it is due to its lighter power steering.

Never get a chance to drive Getz.
Old 28th March 2008, 12:19   #358
BHPian

I think it's been discussed several times here and let me just repeat it once again. From my personal experience I can tell you that the Swift handles much better than the Palio. The suspension is stiff and you can attack the corners much harder. It is fun to drive.
Old 28th March 2008, 12:42   #359
BHPian

is there any body roll due to the shape - i am guessing it can be stabilized fairly using wider rubber
Old 28th March 2008, 13:07   #360
BANNED

Tsk.... Tsk....! That's the Post Of The Week!
Well thought out and put. I'm sure many will call it RHETORICs and what not.... But it's a true eye opener for many.

See! If you look at the topic once again, the question is what car would you prefer?. And without having a go in each of the cars, it is definitely not possible to vote here. But as the poll was started in Jan, it may also hinted towards one's wish or blind choice of a car. And that's what has happened here it seems. As many of an instance, a poll involving fiat will have lots of attention and most of the time everybody knows which one tops the rest.
We are forced to vote without even test driving the Palio MJD (due to the car not being launched) or Getz CRDI (due to unavailability of TD cars). But keeping in mind of the cars we have driven until then, we vote for the favourite amongst them. And that's were the poll comes to some meaningful one. But many won't do that and will vote for a wishful one. Yes! Even I'm guilty of that sometimes and I'm sure many of my fellow Bhpian friends are too.

Now after the Palio MJD is launched, We're now able to have a test drive or atleast see and hear some true reviews of the car. It's time to revisit the scenario from what it was on Jan. Ain't it?
Yes! That's what many have done here I'm sure. But the poll is now voted and cannot be re-done. The only option is to voice it out thru a very clear post. But that will be strongly opposed here by some who support a certain car from the above (which was brilliantly explained by Steeroid in his post earlier). That makes the others counter react and there we go! We have a thread which is very well falling to the funny side.

Back to the topic, I voted for Swift DDiS. Now, I would like to mention that my current choice seems to be the Indica DICOR. Makes for a very good sleeper car. Something which doesn't possess any show but has lots of potential, practicality, comfort, good A.S.S (in Cochin atleast), cheap maintenance and best VFM. One of the best entry level diesel hatchback for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks