Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 22:43   #16
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Guys. I lost my RC book. And got a duplicate from the same RTO in KR Puram Bangalore. I am sharing the steps to get 1

1. Lodged a police complaint at Indiranagar PS. No FIR
2. Took a copy of the complaint, Form 26, 3 photos, copies of car insurance, PUC, my identity (passport) along with an affidavit on a 20 Rs stamp paper (agents outside the RTO have a standard format for this - paid Rs 100 in total)
3. Paid Rs. 105 as charges for a duplicate RC book
4. Obtained signature from a senior officer (I dont know his designation)
5. Submitted the application

I got the duplicate RC book after 3 working days
Add to it, the total cost is as follows:
Rs 105 Fees
Rs 100 Affidavit (20 for the paper and 80 for the notary/typist)
Rs 200 RTO agent
Rs 1200 Speed money to the babus
Old 10th September 2009, 13:39   #17
BHPian

Bangalore -

Is the Police Complaint Compulsary? What if I've lost about a couple of years back? The present Complaint or the Old one?

Fees at the Police Station?
Old 11th September 2009, 00:22   #18
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Bangalore -

Is the Police Complaint Compulsary? What if I've lost about a couple of years back? The present Complaint or the Old one?

Fees at the Police Station?
Police complaint is necessary along with the affidavit. Nothing paid at police station
Old 11th September 2009, 19:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rs 105 Fees
Rs 200 RTO agent
Rs. 1200 + 200 bribe for a job that costs Rs. 105!! Highway robbery!!!
Old 11th September 2009, 21:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

srh , did you try getting it done without an agent ?

IMHO, if you go through the agents you usually end up paying bribes even when you don't need to.In this case you had all the necessary docs for the duplicate RC , so why the bribe ?

Recently I got a NOC, some B-extracts, and got it all done myself only by paying the requisite fees. Experience wasn't that bad in the RTOs.
Old 12th September 2009, 13:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

I agree - please go do it yourself - absolutely no greasing is necessary. I got an ownership change and hypothication cancellation done - only the applicable fees was charged/paid.

The touts at the RTO's and the Passport Offices have become useless. They can only help you fill up the forms - the rest you have to do it yourself (including standing in the line!).

Last edited by kb100 : 12th September 2009 at 13:57.
Old 12th September 2009, 16:35   #22
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
I agree - please go do it yourself - absolutely no greasing is necessary. I got an ownership change and hypothication cancellation done - only the applicable fees was charged/paid.

The touts at the RTO's and the Passport Offices have become useless. They can only help you fill up the forms - the rest you have to do it yourself (including standing in the line!).
I agree. I would have loved to do it myself and most probably would have ended paying just Rs. 105. But I was really short on time as I am travelling a lot. Add to it that wife was gone to work so I was tugging along my 2.5 year kid in a season where swine flu chaos was at its highest. I spent a total of just 15 minutes at the RTO office (a very crowded place) and did not have to queue up for anything (when most others were in long queues). Add to it my challenge in comprehending/speaking in the local language and Rs. 1600 seemed to be a good deal.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Similar query about a lost RC book.
The Maruti 800 that my dad uses is registered in my name.
He is in Chennai and the Car is registered in Chennai.
I am in Trichy.
The RC book has been lost (don't know when). Only Xerox copies are there.
We are planning to sell the car.
Obviously we need to get a duplicate RC book

My queries:
1. Can my dad file the FIR and get a duplicate RC book from the RTO without any of my signatures etc.
2. Can I file an FIR in Trichy even though the car is in Chennai?
3. Er - can we sell the car without an RC book and ask the buyer to take care of getting the RC book?
Old 10th March 2010, 15:39   #24
BHPian

My friend car's RC is missing,the car is in his father's name and his father is not in India. Can he or someone one else lodge FIR for missing RC?What sort of affidavit is required?IS there any format for affidavit?
Old 15th March 2010, 12:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
My friend car's RC is missing,the car is in his father's name and his father is not in India. Can he or someone one else lodge FIR for missing RC?What sort of affidavit is required?IS there any format for affidavit?
FIR for lost RC can be lodged by anyone, but the RC can only be issued after taking the registered owner's signature. There is no workaround for that. If your friend's father is not in India, may be the documents could be mailed and gotten back the same way.
Old 15th March 2010, 13:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
FIR for lost RC can be lodged by anyone, but the RC can only be issued after taking the registered owner's signature. There is no workaround for that. If your friend's father is not in India, may be the documents could be mailed and gotten back the same way.
Thanks for the info. FIR is the only issue.I consulted with Local people here in chandigarh, they said FIR can be lodged only by the person,with the name on RC,not by anyone else.

If this can be sorted out, Then getting the documents mailed and signed can be done at earliest.
Old 28th June 2010, 21:17   #27
BHPian

Hey all,
Another query to the list: Along with a copy of the FIR, is it mandatory to present at the RTO an insurance copy of the vehicle as well, to obtain a duplicate RC? Is there any legal way to resurrect an abandoned vehicle carrying no papers?

Cheers
Rahul
Old 21st September 2010, 17:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Hey all,
Another query to the list: Along with a copy of the FIR, is it mandatory to present at the RTO an insurance copy of the vehicle as well, to obtain a duplicate RC? Is there any legal way to resurrect an abandoned vehicle carrying no papers?

Cheers
Rahul
I know its a little too late to reply to you, but I only just saw this.

Yes, the Karnataka RTO insists on insurance and PUC certificate for even seemingly trivial things.

But why should the insurance be difficult? You can go to National, Oriental Insurance or any one of the public sector insurance companies and they will issue insurance which if I remember right costs slightly over a thousand rupees. The only hassle is that you have to get your vehicle inspected by their inspector and that may require a second visit.

BTW replying to others, Indiranagar RTO is a haven for touts. I had recently gone there for hypothecation removal. They said they needed Rs. 1,200 for that which includes bribes and fees. When I asked one tout for the breakup he said said Rs. 800 for the officer, Rs. 200 for them and Rs. 200 as fees. I went to the RTO office myself and got it done for Rs. 115.

Someone later told me that all of this was a racket. The officers in the RTO do not take any bribe for such small things when they make much more money through other avenues.
Old 24th September 2010, 16:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Rs 105 Fees
Rs 200 RTO agent

I have also misplaced the RC book of my car and need to make a duplicate now. But, i have taken a loan for financing the car.

Should i get a NOC from the banker for the duplicate RC to be issued ? CMV-26 says that a NOC from the financier is required.

Can someone throw some light on the above pls??
Old 12th April 2011, 22:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is the Process for getting a Duplicate RC Book?

Folks

I just wanted to know what would be the procedure to get a duplicate RC book if one loses all the documents, The RC book, the insurance PUC, all the copies and everything.

How to proceed from such a situation?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks