Team-BHP - What is the Process for getting a Duplicate RC Book?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   What is the Process for getting a Duplicate RC Book? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/36929-what-process-getting-duplicate-rc-book.html)

Hi ,
My BIL has got transferred to Hyd from Chennai, and wants to get his Alto to Hyd.
But owing to his disorganized way of living (he blames his wife :)), he cannot trace his C book--neither the original nor the duplicate.
He says the transporter will not allow his vehicle to be transported without seeing the original C book.
Can anyone of you throw some light on the process of getting a duplicate C book from the RTA in Chennai? How much will it cost, how long will it take and what docs are needed?

I advised him to extend his leave and get the C book before he leaves Chennai. Even if he drives, you never know when cops may check for docs on the highway.
Mods, please move this thread to the appropriate place.

What is a C book? Is it the same as RC Book?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakhon (Post 758519)

Yup, the cops call in C book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakhon (Post 758519)

It is the RC book. Looks like abhi forgot the "R".

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 758510)
Can anyone of you throw some light on the process of getting a duplicate C book from the RTA in Chennai? How much will it cost, how long will it take and what docs are needed?

Not sure of the cost or the duration for getting a duplicate RC book.

The first step is to lodge a police complaint as missing or lost. The copy of the FIR/Complaint is part of the application submitted to the RTO. Then on i have no clue, but it wont be a quick process all thanks to the efficiency of our government machinery.

When i first saw the title of the thread. I thought, someone is planning to book a C-Class Mercstupid:

Well, it is called a RC book and I think a police complaint is not required. Even if the car purchase documents are available, that should be enough to apply for a duplicate. And, RTA hyderabad does this job in a jiffy, don't know about chennai

Lost RC book ( RC card actually ) in 98, had to cough up 1000 Rs to RTO crook, he took signatures in some affidavit and some forms.

Got a new one in a week. It was in MP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 758529)
The first step is to lodge a police complaint as missing or lost. The copy of the FIR/Complaint is part of the application submitted to the RTO. Then on i have no clue, but it wont be a quick process all thanks to the efficiency of our government machinery.

I agree, lodge an FIR for loss of RC book, submit a copy to RTO & tell them that you want to transfer the RC & want an NOC too, this way he might get both RC & NOC at the same time

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 758615)
I agree, lodge an FIR for loss of RC book, submit a copy to RTO & tell them that you want to transfer the RC & want an NOC too, this way he might get both RC & NOC at the same time

I guess this is the right procedure.

@vnabhi, it also means that the insurance and tax paper is also lost?

What are you / BIL going to do about insurance and tax papers? :P

Time is very important for your BIL, So, he may be better off meeting the (in)famout RTO agent. The agent should speed up things and know of the pocket roads which will avoid the congestion on the long and straight routes. (pun intended).

BIL will also want to change the registration to HYD, no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 758615)

to the best of my knowledge there is no need for police complaint - atleast i did not do that 4-5 years back when i got duplicate RC for my bike...

u need to place an advertisement in any local paper - saying RC book lost blah blah blah..

and after some 15-20 days from that, u go with the newpaper copy and fill up some forms and give it to RTO

i did this without any broker help and got RC issued ( if i remember correctly ) within a month..

Thanks guys, for your opinions. My BIL has already spoken to his agent at Chennai over phone, and the agent asked him to visit Chennai and file an FIR. But he also wanted him to state the car has been stolen! I advised him not to do that and state facts as they are instead.
I think he has not lost his insurance papers because he had made a claim 3 months ago.

Will update you after he visits Chennai this month end. I sincerely advised him to take leave for a few days and get the process done, including an NOC.

Eureka, we found it! All the original invoice papers, life tax and the RC book were located in a file. Unfortunately my BIL's wife had to visit ABT Chennai and request for a duplicate of the invoice, and also visited the Police Station to find out how to lodge an FIR.

Guess where we found the docs???
At the same place in my Hyd house where they were placed 3 years ago when he had left his car with me during his 10 month stint in Scotland!
Imagine, he was driving around all over Chennai for the past 18 months without any of the original docs with him. And he even swears he had given the original while filing an insurance claim 6 months back at Chennai!

Thanks guys.

I seem to have lost the registration card of my car. This is the one which looks like a Credit Card & has some chip like thing embedded. I am not even able to locate the photocopy. Anyone know what's the procedure to get a duplicate - I am in Pune - any agents etc who could help & how much it would cost? I have changed my address since the time I got the car registered.

Guys. I lost my RC book. And got a duplicate from the same RTO in KR Puram Bangalore. I am sharing the steps to get 1

1. Lodged a police complaint at Indiranagar PS. No FIR
2. Took a copy of the complaint, Form 26, 3 photos, copies of car insurance, PUC, my identity (passport) along with an affidavit on a 20 Rs stamp paper (agents outside the RTO have a standard format for this - paid Rs 100 in total)
3. Paid Rs. 105 as charges for a duplicate RC book
4. Obtained signature from a senior officer (I dont know his designation)
5. Submitted the application

I got the duplicate RC book after 3 working days

As per the Karnataka RTO website a police FIR is not required. Affidavit sworn before a notary will do.

Transport Department

RTO Services -> How to Register a Vehicle -> TO OBTAIN DUPLICATE REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE (IN CASE OF LOSS/MUTILATION)

Did the RTO in KR Puram insist on an FIR ?