Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2008, 13:32   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
They are good handlers but i will anytime prefer my Elantra CRDi over Lancer/Cedia. I really felt Elantra's handling much better than Lancer. Ofcourse how can we forget Brakes in Elantra. ABS + EBD + BAS + 4 Discs.
Hi,
Its not just the brakes, the handling is because of the chassis too. Without doubt, Mitsus have some of the best chassis in the world. Check out the INRC rally videos in You tube to see what a Cedia can do. Also, thats one of the prime reasons they are used in rallies. Gaurav gill himself has commented on the handling of the car, though he also said its underpowered, but the handling more than makes up for it.

Also , the cedia has ABS + EBD + 4Discs too. Wikipedia says BAS is mainly for Panic braking assistance, Well Haven felt panic in a Cedia yet.

Your statement about the Elantra has triggered off a desire in me to test drive the beast!!! Will be Going for a test drive very very soon! Probably today itself.

Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 9th April 2008 at 13:43.
Old 9th April 2008, 13:37   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are good handlers but i will anytime prefer my Elantra CRDi over Lancer/Cedia. I really felt Elantra's handling much better than Lancer. Ofcourse how can we forget Brakes in Elantra. ABS + EBD + BAS + 4 Discs.
Have driven it and was in my shortlist of cars when buying. The handling of the elantra is okay and the engine has decent grunt. But who are you trying to fool by claiming it handles better than a mitsubishi.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 9th April 2008 at 13:48.
Old 9th April 2008, 13:47   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The way I have seen Elantra handling, its rear keeps on going all over the place. And, many times competing with its own front. To be honest, I never thought it is even decent handler, forget about being good handler. I'd be glad if I am wrong since I consider Elantra as great VFM package for its price.
Old 9th April 2008, 13:49   #79
BHPian

Oops! I just rang up Hyundai for a test drive! The car is phased out! I am so behind with state of affairs guys!
Old 1st July 2008, 11:50   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Any 100bhp+ car can maintain 150kmph easy unless it has aerodynamic or stability issues. I cruise at 150 all the time in my cedia with no hint of understeer. I can hold that speed easily without antics like cutting lanes and stuff. In a poor handling car like a optra magnum or verna or corolla, I doubt if its so easy to turn in without understeering off one's lane. I'm sure 150 shouldn't be a problem in the skoda rs or fiesta as they handle pretty well at high speeds. I've seen bottle drive his palio at sustained speeds over 150 without any issues as well.

I'd not bring the bimmers or such into the picture as they are in a completely different league.
Can you elaborate a lil more on the handling part, especially the understeer? I've crossed 150 consistently in a Santro without any issues. Only problems I encounter is on sharp turns where I need to slow down considerably, but straight stretches are no problem whatsoever, and its way below 100bhp.
Old 1st July 2008, 12:05   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
what makes you say the magnum has poor handling at high speed almost all the auto mags that reviewed it had reached 190 kmp and had no problems about the handling

let me add to this, i have driven my magnum at 195kmph, and believe me it is rock stable at that speed and is eager to go in corners without changing the line....and it handles well in cornering
Old 1st July 2008, 12:16   #82
BHPian

Optra Magnum's handling may not be treated as world class but it is adequate, i owned Ford earlier, and for me Ford is a bechmark for Steering Response and Handling as well as comfort. Magnum is not really upto the mark when compared with Ford, but yes it is not bad either...it is adequate
Old 1st July 2008, 12:24   #83
BHPian

Forget the Elantra my friend, nothing comes close to handling the way the Cedia does. I guess its the best handling car this side of 12lacs or so. There a lot of cars which are way faster at this price point, but you have to drive the cedia to know what handling and stability is all about. I have a friend who bought an elantra the same time as me, and now whenever it goes into a pothole there is a thump, whereas you are pretty smooth over the same pothole in a cedia. This just shows the quilty of parts used as well as the strength of the suspension.
Old 1st July 2008, 12:27   #84
Senior - BHPian

I guess its going to be the Cedia.
Old 1st July 2008, 20:12   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Forget the Elantra my friend, nothing comes close to handling the way the Cedia does. I guess its the best handling car this side of 12lacs or so. There a lot of cars which are way faster at this price point, but you have to drive the cedia to know what handling and stability is all about. I have a friend who bought an elantra the same time as me, and now whenever it goes into a pothole there is a thump, whereas you are pretty smooth over the same pothole in a cedia. This just shows the quilty of parts used as well as the strength of the suspension.
Yes, i agree with what you said over here. Handling wise, it is THE CAR to enjoy. Wish it was not so underpowered though(no complaints though!). I have tried some really quick driving on mud and dirt, on very curvy roads that too...and trust me i thought I was playing Colin McRae Dirt! The car simply makes you look like a rally driver. If you do own a cedia, please try the car out on mud and dirt roads. Its simply an experience thats worth every bit.
Regards,
TG.
Old 1st July 2008, 22:23   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
let me add to this, i have driven my magnum at 195kmph, and believe me it is rock stable at that speed and is eager to go in corners without changing the line....and it handles well in cornering
195 Kmph with Optra magnum? Hit hard to beleive my friend.
Old 1st July 2008, 23:28   #87
BHPian

Must be the Corollas,Innovas,Accords, Octys,Lauras in the non import cars.

I don't cares even a little about what Import cars can do as i can't afford one .
Old 1st July 2008, 23:38   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Can you elaborate a lil more on the handling part, especially the understeer? I've crossed 150 consistently in a Santro without any issues. Only problems I encounter is on sharp turns where I need to slow down considerably, but straight stretches are no problem whatsoever, and its way below 100bhp.
Thats exactly what I meant by good handling... taking that speed around corners without veering off.
Old 2nd July 2008, 10:50   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
195 Kmph with Optra magnum? Hit hard to beleive my friend.
drive it to believe it.....if you wish to drive beyond 130-140 choose the right road, like express way or some four/six lane well build highway.
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:42   #90
Senior - BHPian

195 is very easy in a magnum... all that torque helps. Though one *has* to slow down at corners.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 2nd July 2008 at 14:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks