Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 17:50   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post

Lets not make it a competition of how fast we can drive no matter how good the road. The time I touched 140kmph a dog strayed onto the road. I slammed the brakes hard but I knew I wasn't going to stop in time and hit the dog hard. I was shaken and had to take a break. BTW... had it not been for the ABS and good handling... we probably too might have ended on the ditch or hit the road divider. After that I always try not to exceed 100kmph while driving my dad's OHC VTEC or 85-90 while driving my WagonR.
Mate. 2 Dogs came infront of me on the highway and i was at around 150-160 kmph. First i looked behind if anyone is there , then hit brakes and steered it and Saved Poor Dogs.
ABS and Handling do matters.
Old 18th March 2008, 17:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Mate. 2 Dogs came infront of me on the highway and i was at around 150-160 kmph. First i looked behind if anyone is there , then hit brakes and steered it and Saved Poor Dogs.
ABS and Handling do matters.
I know. I am not arguing that. My point was to get not too enthusiastic about speed and make it look like as if speeding at 150 is OK.

In my case.. unfortunately couldn't save the poor dog (there was a car in the left lane). I was shaking 'cause I couldn't help but think what if instead of a dog it had been a human?? I am very sure that had I been even at 100 the incident would have been a non-incident.
Old 18th March 2008, 18:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
I know. I am not arguing that. My point was to get not too enthusiastic about speed and make it look like as if speeding at 150 is OK.

In my case.. unfortunately couldn't save the poor dog (there was a car in the left lane). I was shaking 'cause I couldn't help but think what if instead of a dog it had been a human?? I am very sure that had I been even at 100 the incident would have been a non-incident.
aah!! then the bottom line is Indian Highways are not safe going more than 80-100 kmph. You got a valid point mate.

But on GT road, i was coming back from punjab. I was there just at around 40-50 kmph. An indica was behind me and as soon as it overtook me slowly i.e he was also not very fast. A biker came infront of him from nowhere, he hits emergency brakes. ooppss!! the biker was hit, not a single scratch. They both had a good fight and peolpe in indica really bashed the biker.

Now the point is Hghways are not ment for even 60 kmph speed?
Old 18th March 2008, 18:34   #49
BHPian

My Corolla handles well at speeds in excess of 150 kmph.The highest i reached was on the GQ where i hit 180 kmph.My new NHC VTEC needs nerves of steel to handle it at any speed in excess of 150 kmph due to the over-servoed steering.
Old 18th March 2008, 18:47   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatoyotafan View Post
My Corolla handles well at speeds in excess of 150 kmph.The highest i reached was on the GQ where i hit 180 kmph.My new NHC VTEC needs nerves of steel to handle it at any speed in excess of 150 kmph due to the over-servoed steering.
man, you need real guts to take the nhc above 120kmph.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 18th March 2008 at 19:02.
Old 18th March 2008, 19:02   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatoyotafan View Post
My Corolla handles well at speeds in excess of 150 kmph.
Our definition of handling is obviously different. The Corollas I have driven fast, felt really nervous at 140 - 150.
Old 18th March 2008, 19:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Any 100bhp+ car can maintain 150kmph easy unless it has aerodynamic or stability issues. I cruise at 150 all the time in my cedia with no hint of understeer. I can hold that speed easily without antics like cutting lanes and stuff. In a poor handling car like a optra magnum or verna or corolla, I doubt if its so easy to turn in without understeering off one's lane. I'm sure 150 shouldn't be a problem in the skoda rs or fiesta as they handle pretty well at high speeds. I've seen bottle drive his palio at sustained speeds over 150 without any issues as well.

I'd not bring the bimmers or such into the picture as they are in a completely different league.
Optra magnum is not a poor handler by any stretched lengths of imagination, unless your are cornering at 150km/hr! On straight stretches it rocks big time, and feels extremely stable. Its steering is also not as light as the cedia, At speeds in excess of 150 i agree that the cedia holds good....but defenitely the magnum holds on to the road like a monitor lizard...no tension at all. But yes, compared to cedia(The best mid segment handler in India as many feel) it is a little difficult for the optra on curvy roads. Wow! 150 in palio!!! Nerves of steel !!
Old 18th March 2008, 19:21   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Our definition of handling is obviously different. The Corollas I have driven fast, felt really nervous at 140 - 150.
Very well said GTO, every one has his own risk taking instincts and it holds true when you are driving, people say the Scorpio is a very bad car when it comes to handling and I used to easily cruise between 130-140 for hours (ocassional breaking to pay for toll or to overtake) and I never found any problems with the handling, obviously you have to know (by instinct) when to slow it down to tackle a bend or a turn. When I told this to the GM works at my dealership he was amazed he said that he had never taken the car above 100 and at that speed he hands used to get sweaty and he would slow down.

What I am trying to say is everyone has his own definition of handling and at what speed.
Old 18th March 2008, 19:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I really really really doubt that Verna is the faster of the 2.. if you mean pick-up and not top speed (I am not sure about the top speed of the 2). Stock civic is faster than a stock OHC VTEC (I have driven both and tried the 0-100 dash in both). Civic clearly felt the faster of the 2. According to various mags I have read, the verna is a close 2nd to the ford fiesta in a 0-100 dash with NHC VTEC the fastest for the 3.

About breaking... driving the CIVIC at ard 130kmph (on highway between Pune and Hubli) I had to brake hard as a dog came from nowhere. The car didn't even twitch under heavy breaking at that speed. I was favorably impressed!

I guess Shatru has already commented on the two, I had driven both the Verna and the Civic more or less at the same time, may be couple of days here or there, The Verna I am talking about is Diesel and not Petrol and that car is a rocket much much faster then the Civic, may be somebody can do the 0-180 kmph test on it and check it out. 0-100 they might have similar numbers. Again this is what I felt and hence I thought the Verna was quicker. Obviously nobody can beat the CIvic's road handling (and I might want to add the looks too).
Old 18th March 2008, 20:18   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The corolla handles well at higher speeds than compared to many indian cars.
I think you are comparing with german cars, I have driven the bmw 5-series it is in a different league altogether.
Old 18th March 2008, 20:31   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
I guess Shatru has already commented on the two, I had driven both the Verna and the Civic more or less at the same time, may be couple of days here or there, The Verna I am talking about is Diesel and not Petrol and that car is a rocket much much faster then the Civic, may be somebody can do the 0-180 kmph test on it and check it out. 0-100 they might have similar numbers. Again this is what I felt and hence I thought the Verna was quicker. Obviously nobody can beat the CIvic's road handling (and I might want to add the looks too).
Speaking about 0-180 ... heres a video of my CAR doin 0-175 in mumbai city ... 3 people were in the car though (was going to college) , with 17" setup ... video was taken last year .

Old 18th March 2008, 20:38   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
now that i highly doubt. it mightve felt faster to you because of the torque.
Old 18th March 2008, 20:44   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

When it comes to 0-100 The Verna Diesel is a whole 1.6-1.7 secs slower than the CIVIC , it only feels much faster because of the highly Torquey motor and the VGT.
Old 18th March 2008, 20:53   #59
BHPian

oh i forgot to mention i have never crossed 120 kph in my magnum so i guess i dont know how it handles at 150kph
also our old petrol sonata gold(now sold) with abs, tcs was pretty stable at 180kph (top speed i have attained on it)
Old 18th March 2008, 23:09   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Speaking about 0-180 ... heres a video of my CAR doin 0-175 in mumbai city ... 3 people were in the car though (was going to college) , with 17" setup ... video was taken last year .

YouTube - 0-175 sprint

Jeez! Where in Mumbai was that? Must say the way the needle climbed upto 160 was neat! I'm sure you did it as safely as possible Can't imagine such adrenaline rushes bang in the city (and looks like daytime!).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks