Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 15:50   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Swift is designed to absorb the impact, hence it will crumple.
Ratings are not given based on how a car "looks" like after an accident.
If Swift can crumple so much as to crumple the passengers even, that is too much a safety!
Old 18th March 2008, 17:58   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
If Swift can crumple so much as to crumple the passengers even, that is too much a safety!
Really don't know what to say?
Old 18th March 2008, 18:06   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Hahaha - some of you judge a car by teh way it "looks" after the impact.

Come back to your senses guys. I understand this is old fashioned indian mentality that your car should not get damaged after an accident.

Swift is designed to absorb the impact, hence it will crumple.
Ratings are not given based on how a car "looks" like after an accident.
Posting a pic of a car that is involved in a collision is not the way to judge.
Swift is pretty good for todays standards.

The problem is the way the citizens of this country drive. If people are not willing to improve their standards of driving, how can they blame a car company for being unsafe?
Offtopic mods and no offense guys:
You said company should not be blamed?
Let us talk about Nano, Do you think it can take the impacts?
Compare Impacts:
Swift at 80 kmph impact
and
Nano at 80 kmph impact.

In which one, the probability should be there that the pessengers will not die?

or Impact:
Swift at 80 kmph impact.
and
Merc. at 80 kmph impact. (forget Princess D, she was at very very high speed).

Please ans. mate.
Old 18th March 2008, 18:39   #49
BHPian

The mistake of the driver in this particular accident seems to me that he swerved in the opposite direction so as to avoid the cow and ended up hitting the truck.The first instinct in such an occasion should be to slam the brake hard and then think about where to steer.I always remember my dads advice that one should avoid pointing the car in the direction which one is not sure that his vehicle wants to take.
Old 18th March 2008, 20:54   #50
BHPian

Video info on small car safety. Crash test head on into concrete @100 km/h

Old 19th March 2008, 09:49   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Offtopic mods and no offense guys:
You said company should not be blamed?
Let us talk about Nano, Do you think it can take the impacts?
Compare Impacts:
Swift at 80 kmph impact
and
Nano at 80 kmph impact.

In which one, the probability should be there that the pessengers will not die?

Well depends on the Re-inforced beams and their strength to take the impact. frontal crash tests always depends on how much impact a car can absorb without hurting the driver and the passenger. Again if you look at the structural frame and the side impact beams, not only the shape but also the strength of the material counts.

or Impact:
Swift at 80 kmph impact.
and
Merc. at 80 kmph impact. (forget Princess D, she was at very very high speed).

Please ans. mate.
You cannot really tell in this case either but probability for survival is more for MB. Swift for its price might have offered the best it could.
Old 19th March 2008, 12:59   #52
BHPian

A safe car , in my opinion, is largely subjective and in a larger context, it depends on what is available and also affordable. Any car is safe or considered unsafe in a specific context which may be momentary or for over a period of time. Swift is definitely, safer than Omnis,M800s, Sparks, Santros etc. but not as compared to a Skoda cars or MBs.

In an article in Autocar, they had shown a crash test involving a CRV and an Accord and CRVs windscreen was intact. A comment ( more in a question form) was also there that, SUVs are inherently safer than Sedans.

No comments on the safety ratings of various agencies which may favour certain specific situations, certain accessories like airbags, collapsible steering etc/ absence of it and may also depend on various parameters and I wouldnt rule out the possibilities of favouring a specific manufacturer like we have ISO certifications available and ISI Marks available through various agents and agencies - and certified by the Government. Most of the times there are set parameters and may be they stress on those aspects more than any other aspect.

A chain will be as strong as its weakest link and an unbreakable chain will be either unaffordable or unusable or may be even both!

A car that enables the commuters come out unhurt from it after getting sandwiched in between two other cars ( not monster trucks) at moderate ( road/ street) speeds , is reasonable safe and Swift is safe enough. Rest depends on the driver( assuming he / she is not drunk) and his luck and also in the hands of the other drivers who may hit/ collide.

Last edited by shatrughna : 19th March 2008 at 13:02.
Old 19th March 2008, 13:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good one!!

The passengers would be trapped inside the crumpled car and completely safe until someone take them out.
Old 21st March 2008, 07:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

Highest Road Deaths

Now, India has overtaked ( Officially ) as a country to have highest number of road accident deaths.

1,05,749 deaths: India tops road accident record book - Yahoo! India News
Old 21st March 2008, 10:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly,Crumple zone damage should be limited upto the Windshield part of the car.In this accident the 'A' pillars and roof has given way,which means that the crumple zones failed to absorb the impact of the collison.It could be because the car went under the rear of the truck.
Old 21st March 2008, 13:32   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Now, India has overtaked ( Officially ) as a country to have highest number of road accident deaths.

1,05,749 deaths: India tops road accident record book - Yahoo! India News
Good. Last night i had seen 5 cars hitting infront of my eyes, just because of a stupid idiot santro driver stopped suddenly on the extreme right lane because he wants to go left and that too on a road turning right. lol he was beaten up like anything and police took him.

and yesterday itself, a man again took left turn, no idicator, his rear view mirror was broken, side mirrors were broken and he ended up in hitting 2 bikers on the left. again 8-10 bikers stopped and started fighting with him.

God knows when janta will drive in their senses.

In janak puri area, delhi last night a honda city lost control and smashed into the divider railings. A biker suddenly came infront of the honda city and he struck emergency brakes and the car got slipped and rammed into the divider railing.

Damn i saw 3 accidents infront of my eyes yesterday and all because of the stupidity and non sense driving.

Day before yesterday at nizamuddin flyover, new delhi. me myself smashed an idiot on his face in the middle of the road, because 2 gals wanted to cross the road. Traffic was fast and just to watch those gals that stupid guy stopped his car in the middle of the road. my car was about to hit him but thanx to my ABS and i asked him what the hell was that? he told me gals were crossing the road and i asked what if major accident occured because of his stupidity, he started abusing me and this ended up in a good mess. By chance PCR saw this guy stopping the car and they instantly came and arrested him.

Now a days Police in Delhi getting strict. PCR running on the roads, and defaulters are like good chalaans.
Old 21st March 2008, 13:49   #57

safety features in a car must be used as a backup..
no car can provide complete safety.. unless its an F1 car.. (i guess)
high end cars may have some more safety features, but then the horses that run them can do more damage..
so its basically comes down to the driver,,
Old 21st March 2008, 15:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

It is really bad

Yes it is getting bad, and i have myself suffered from major injury that will require surgery today or tomorrow as by somebody's mistake, i suffered from severely damaged left knee meniscus.
Old 21st March 2008, 17:33   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal View Post
Video info on small car safety. Crash test head on into concrete @100 km/h

YouTube - smart car crash
Good Video, and the end they says, The bitter truth is the passengers are unlikely to survive because the internal organs can not take such huge imapact's shock.

More over it was like advertising the Smar car Smart. The 100 KM/h crash doesn't have dummy driver of passenger inside.
Old 21st March 2008, 17:36   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

From the picture:
1. The car was definitely being driven at a fairly high speed and/or no time was available for braking;
2. Looks like the it had highly inadequate (especially when fully loaded) stock tyres;
3. The tanker truck did not have the mandatory (?) rear downwards-facing bumper extension;
4. The truck may have been fully loaded and hence the Swift would have hit a nearly immovable object;
5. The Swift hit the bumper at near the A pillars. Looks like the car shell was neatly sliced off at that point and the damage to the engine etc came from the secondary impact with the underside of the truck.

Net net, such an accident would have fatalities in most small cars, airbags or not.

May their souls RIP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks