Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2008, 20:15   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
This link should give an idea of the swift's safety tests.

Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Suzuki Swift
india will be less as side bags are not fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post

This can't be the impact of 60 kmph mate.
No it probably was more - after seeing a pic of a 64km/h impact, this imact speed was much higher. Being into the rear of the truck, I could understand the A pillars being destroyed but the whole front end has vapourised
Old 17th March 2008, 20:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
This link should give an idea of the swift's safety tests.

Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Suzuki Swift

isn't the Euro version of Suzuki Swift better built then the Indian version ? I hope Maruti doesn't fool Indian buyers by giving them inferior quality products compare to European version of the same car.
Old 17th March 2008, 20:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post

isn't the Euro version of Suzuki Swift better built then the Indian version ? I hope Maruti doesn't fool Indian buyers by giving them inferior quality products compare to European version of the same car.
That's what i had written. Built quality is very much different. Big Big difference bet. the quality of Indian Swift and other country's Swift.
Old 17th March 2008, 20:52   #34
rks
BANNED

The ability of the car to survive a hgh-speed impact and protect its occupants and pedestrians is just one aspect of the car's safety. In my opinion, the car's handling at high speeds and its ability to maneuver through tight situations are equally, if not more important in Indian conditions. Note that the European Swift has the 100+ BHP engine and likely has adequate tyres/rims as compared to our lower-end Swifts.

This and many other similar accidents should be thoroughly investigated by experts and the cause clearly established. If it turns out that the tyres are inadequate, then Maruti should take suitable action. This is what is missing in our accident scenarios; there is simply no expert investigation unless there is a crime involved, and even then, the investigation is shoddy (as judges have pointed out).
Old 17th March 2008, 21:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

May the departed souls rest in peace.Only the wished the driver had decided to ram the cow and save all lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
What will happen if any one installed Pete's kit and got killed in accident? (There would be no one to find and remove the kit from the crashed car) I doubt whether his family will get insurance. Any engine alteration should be registered in RC book after approval by RTO inspectors.

Altration can be done in case of changing entire engine. If they permits Pete's kit as part of engine alteration, then there won't be legal issues with Insurance companies.
LOL you must be kidding. A car crashes and is mangled , you expect someone to look around for Pete's tuning kit ? Wake up mate, have some compassion for the departed souls, than look around if the car had a tuning kit/FFE/CAI .
Old 17th March 2008, 23:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post

Dunno about better build quality, which I suspect is true for export versions. I think the export models also come with ABS and airbags which most buyers in india do not go in for.

Also, I dont think the export versions will have all the rattles that indian owners claim to have.
Old 17th March 2008, 23:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Think Broad

I dont think that the build quality is really different as far as the body shell is considered. Yes the interior finishing, fitting of other things can be inferior, but the basic bodyshell is not that inferior.

As I have pointed out in my previous post in this topic, the car's crumple zones, that were supposed to take all the impact energy, never became completely active and hence could not do their job perfectly.

If you look at the front of the crashed swift, then it is clear that the crumple zones almost are not activated and we can even see the radiator in one peice. So it was the lower end of the A-pillar that took all the energy and as a result of which we can see the front of the cabin is completely crushed and the passenger compartment as a whole is badly afftected.

The safety as far as bodyshell is not compromised. Yes we are not offered ABS as standard, neither do we get the side airbags in any of the versions. Yes the tyre/rim combo is really bad in at least the lower versions. Yes the fittings are not good especially the interiors.

But I am sure that the bodyshell is not compromised.
Old 18th March 2008, 00:01   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The NCAP safety ratings are for european swift with multiple airbags at much lower speed than the 120kmph mentioned here in this case.

If the car is hit at A pillars directly crumple zones are helpless.
Old 18th March 2008, 00:05   #39
BHPian

the swift is a preety safe car...

I close friend of mine fell asleep while driving (what a crazy guy),
he was on a minor ghat section,
missed a turn,
went slightly downhill adn banged into a tree.

He came out scratchless and the front passenger had a minor fracture on the arm.

Both were wearing seatbelts, and it was a ZXi with airbags.
(seatbelt and airbags do save lives...)

The car lost the whole front end.
Including the engine.
Old 18th March 2008, 00:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Six Airbags

The European Swift comes with 6 airbags
2 airbags for front two passengers,
2 side airbags
2 curtain airbags.

The NCAP test was done 40% offset crash i..e only 676mm of the total 1690 width was made to go into the barrier at 64kmph( 40 mph ).
Note that the engine was present but not running.
A running engine will definatley stress the chasis a bit.
So if a car crashes while being powered by its own engine will have slightly lower crash performace.
But mind well, the difference is very very negligible.
Old 18th March 2008, 11:58   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
A car crashes and is mangled , you expect someone to look around for Pete's tuning kit ? .
I have concerned for everyone regarding this matter. As my friend's family didn't get any insurance since he had only LLR when he died on a Crash.

So if a dependent family lose the bread winner in a gory accident then refusal of insurance due to engine modification (unauthorized) that is really a bad situation.
Old 18th March 2008, 14:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Ok slightly off topic ,but the 6 airbags in the European swift gives the reason why there is a yawning gap between the door pad and the sheet metal in swift doors.This is one of the reason for the rattling in swifts.
When will we get a 6 air baged swift.
ram
Old 18th March 2008, 14:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

ram_hyndai, Airbags do not come through the door. They are mounted on the side of the seats. Curtain airbags come from the ceiling.
Putting some bags (filled with something other than air) in might help the rattling issue.
Old 18th March 2008, 14:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Ok slightly off topic ,but the 6 airbags in the European swift gives the reason why there is a yawning gap between the door pad and the sheet metal in swift doors.This is one of the reason for the rattling in swifts.
When will we get a 6 air baged swift.
ram

As I wrote earlier, dealers dont keep the ZXI model in stock as the demand is so less. So I am guessing... not in this decade atleast.
Old 18th March 2008, 15:37   #45
BHPian

Hahaha - some of you judge a car by teh way it "looks" after the impact.

Come back to your senses guys. I understand this is old fashioned indian mentality that your car should not get damaged after an accident.

Swift is designed to absorb the impact, hence it will crumple.
Ratings are not given based on how a car "looks" like after an accident.
Posting a pic of a car that is involved in a collision is not the way to judge.
Swift is pretty good for todays standards.

The problem is the way the citizens of this country drive. If people are not willing to improve their standards of driving, how can they blame a car company for being unsafe?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks