Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 19:16   #1

Car ownership - Non Indian Nationals - Help Please

Hello to all at BHP

I am a British Citizen who has been lucky enough to visit India on numerous occasions over the past 16 years.

In the past I have hired cars (self drive) however my wife and I are planning a year long trip to India and wish to purchase a car for the purpose.

Please could anyone offer any advise on this subject.

Kind Regards
Aero
Old 18th March 2008, 20:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEROBATICHIGH View Post
Hello to all at BHP

I am a British Citizen who has been lucky enough to visit India on numerous occasions over the past 16 years.

In the past I have hired cars (self drive) however my wife and I are planning a year long trip to India and wish to purchase a car for the purpose.

Kind Regards
Aero
I am also a brit cit, been long enough to fail the Tebbit test. What you need for car ownership proof is proof of address and proof of identity
Old 18th March 2008, 22:00   #3
BANNED

<TIC>

All you need is money to pay for the car. Make sure you have an insurance policy covering the car. It can be in anybody's name (how about your neighbour in your "native place" - :).

You need the documents mentioned by ajmat only if you want to transfer / register the vehicle in your name. If you pay for, and get possession of the vehicle, w. t. f. do you need to get the documentation in your name - unless you are going in for a new vehicle, which obviously you do not want since you will be using it for only one year.
</TIC>

tic - tongue in cheek.

2nd edit - see this link - Department of Road Transport & Highways

Look at Rule 4 under "licensing" and Chapter 3 under registration for the legalese.

Rest is to be "managed".

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 18th March 2008 at 22:09. Reason: fix typo and add link
Old 18th March 2008, 22:33   #4
BHPian

on my last visit i bought a Opel Astra for 1.5lacs, used it for three months, 2 nights before leaving, sold it back for 1.55 lacs in a small town outside Delhi. so in all i made a good deal. i'll make another long trip this or next year, will be looking for Opel vectra or Mondeo this time.
Old 18th March 2008, 23:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

you did not mention whether you need advice on which car, or the process of purchasing it.

we may be able to help you better if you clarify your needs. proff of identity and address are a very grey area and can be easily arranged if tried in a smaller town I guess.
Old 19th March 2008, 00:47   #6

Thanks for your reply.

I had heard that in order to register change of ownership and gain insurance for a vehicle one had to provide proof of residency in India.

We shall be on a tourist visa with an International Driving Permit valid for 1 year.

I want to be completely legal on our trip so I am asking for advice on the legal aspects of car ownership for travel interstate.
Old 19th March 2008, 01:36   #7
BHPian

Also, which mention which city you will be staying at.
Old 19th March 2008, 08:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarenracer View Post
on my last visit i bought a Opel Astra for 1.5lacs, used it for three months, 2 nights before leaving, sold it back for 1.55 lacs in a small town outside Delhi. so in all i made a good deal. i'll make another long trip this or next year, will be looking for Opel vectra or Mondeo this time.
But you may not sell it as easily as you had bought it!
Old 19th March 2008, 08:23   #9
BHPian

Hi,

I understand you are planning to visit for a year, but can you provide some more information

1. Where do you plan to stay for a year?
2. How much milage do you plan to do in that year?
3. What will be the amount you want to spend on buying the car?

Easiest thing to do is, If you have a trust worthy friend in India, buy the car in your friends name and then drive it around. It is perfectly legal to drive a friends car in India, only thing you need is a license.

The advantage of this is
1. Eay registration of the vehicle
2. Easy insurance coverage (In india insurance is per car and not per car & a person)
3. Easy to sell when you are leaving back

I am not aware of law for registering vehicles to visitors. Hope this helps.

Vish.
Old 19th March 2008, 14:27   #10

The basic plan so far would be to arrive into Delhi and travel as far north as Leh then back down the west coast to Kerala across to Tamil Nadu up the east coast to Orissa back upto the north leave the car ,visit Nepal,return and finnally leave via Delhi.

As for the vehicle itself,a diesel with good ground clearance,strong chassis, suspension, tyres and a hard roof.I dont need a/c etc.

If I was planning the trip in Europe I would go for a Toyota Hilux(4x4) with a truck top.
Due to the high import tax in India I dont think this will be an option.

The price, well as required,to a point!

What do you think the used Indian car market can offer?

Kind Regards.
Old 19th March 2008, 14:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarenracer View Post
Both are not in production anymore, and not in demand as used cars. So either you may not get it, or may not be able to sell it a profit.
Old 19th March 2008, 16:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

I had heard that in order to register change of ownership and gain insurance for a vehicle one had to provide proof of residency in India.

Very much true.

I want to be completely legal on our trip so I am asking for advice on the legal aspects of car ownership for travel interstate.

Yes. Defnitely dont adopt illegal tactics. God forbid and if you are involved in any unfortunate incidents - your embassy might not be able to help you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by visu03 View Post
Easiest thing to do is, If you have a trust worthy friend in India, buy the car in your friends name and then drive it around. It is perfectly legal to drive a friends car in India, only thing you need is a license.

Very much true

2. Easy insurance coverage (In india insurance is per car and not per car & a person)
If you have a large claim, the insurance co can play dirty tricks. If the insured vehicle owner is not on the vehicle, he has to prove that he was not driving elsewhere.
Vish.

Aero - I dont know how much exposure you have with our government services. Let me put it mildly. Its not easy.

You may want to query the Automobile associations in India - they provide RTO services. Since you will be buying an used vehicle, you can re-register using AA itself.

Automobile Association of Southern India - AASI Services
You can call them between 10 AM to 5 PM IST to get your queries clarified. If they are affliates with UK AA, then you will save on membership cost. They also provide insurance services also. If you are lucky (with the citizenship rules) - this may be onestop solution for you.

Ofcourse, you can get decent maps too from them.

Phone 91 - 44 - 2852 1162, 2852 4061
Fax 91 - 44 - 2851 1548

I could not find the north indian association!. Can some one post the details?
Old 19th March 2008, 16:47   #13
BHPian

found this for 'Upper India'.. Guess its for northern India

AAUI

Unfortunately, they dont seem to offer RTO services. You may have to fly to chennai to do that.
Old 19th March 2008, 17:30   #14

Thanks very much druva I will give them a call soon and try and get some answers.
There does seem to be some confusion over the legal aspects of car ownership for tourists.
As I have said I want to be totally legal,I know from experience in England that insurance firms will try and find a way out of a claim if they can!

However I`m sure I`m not the first tourist with this plan,there must be a way.

Kind Regards
Aero
Old 19th March 2008, 19:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
As for the vehicle itself,a diesel with good ground clearance,strong chassis, suspension, tyres and a hard roof.I dont need a/c etc.
Id say an Indica could be an option. Its a hatchback though.
Im guessing you want a sedan? What type of car are you looking for?
(Sedan, MUV, 4x4, Hatchback, etc.)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks