Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2008, 13:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The 46 kph is average speed. To get that kind of average they were probably going at 70 in 5th. Most of these so called claims are verified by independent body like MAI, Autocar is smarter than that.
I guess, there would have been a lot of cruising in neutral with ignition switched off as well. There is no way anyone can get that without some shortcuts, MAI or not.
Old 31st March 2008, 13:20   #47
BHPian

Unlike many I don't see any problem with this kind of an exercise.

This looks like a genuine effort with Ernst & Young playing the 3rd party body tracking the figures. In the end, the article clearly states (and points out) that objective of this is to communicate that even in real life driving, high efficiency figures are possible. In today's scenario where the fuel prices are touching sky, these efforts make us realize the possibilities and IMO there is nothing wrong in it.

Also, I see a fuss happening over the average speed of 46 KMPH. I see it as a decent average speed. After all how many people can clock more than 50-55 KMPH (average) on Indian roads unless you drive like crazy?

This exercise was no doubt without the A/C which makes it little impractical. As pointed out by someone, this exercise would have generated more confidence if car from actual user would have been picked.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:11   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by an10 View Post
As pointed out by someone, this exercise would have generated more confidence if car from actual user would have been picked.
Even if an actual user was picked, would we believe?
Old 31st March 2008, 15:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Recording an average speed of 46.5 kph, the Fiesta took 24 hours and 20 minutes to cover the distance???

24 hours? Thats a record!
24 hours from Bangalore to Mumbai.. Did they stay overnight somewhere? Otherwise, I am sure even the truck wallas would have found them a nuisence on the GQ and overtook them !!

Actually, If you divide the distance travelled by the average speed - it comes to around 22 hours. So my guess is that they didnt overnight. Sounds like speed of around 50 kmph was their top speed.. .. I would have probably died of boredom before reaching Mumbai. Awww..the things these poor journalist have to do in order to earn a living !!
Old 31st March 2008, 23:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

But do you guys really think that it is possible? Given the conditions? I feel a claim of 25kmpl was somehow believe-able. Isn't this claim too tall?
Old 31st March 2008, 23:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post

Just for comparison, the support Endeavours managed about 15kpl with AC. But they were subject to caning as they photographed the event.

Drifter
drifter, were u part of this test? which endy's were they? the old ones or the new crdi ones?
Old 1st April 2008, 02:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
drifter, were u part of this test? which endy's were they? the old ones or the new crdi ones?
He was & I think they were the older Endy's.
Old 2nd April 2008, 04:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

In these ays of High fuel prices it seems that the sweat of Autocar journos is cheaper than Diesel . Why attemp somethig so impractical . Who will spend 8 lacs on a car to end up in a sauna. I believe that Overdrive and mahidra Renault must be planning something equally silly. Maybe a Kashmir to Kanyakumari or Assam to Gujarat is a single tankfull. It is an attempt to fill all tose pages in the Mags which are not filled with ads.

Moreover it would cost the Mags nothing with the car manufacturers picking up the tab. I just wonder if the magazines are also paid to conduct these drives.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:06   #54
BHPian

Today's top five Indian cars on fuel efficiency (Based on advt)

What are the top five Indian cars that can be listed based on fuel efficiency and nothing else? Be it sedan, hatchback, estate, four wheel drive?

The list is prepared as by advt given by manufacturer/Dealer

Here is the list:
1. Ford fiesta classic 30 KMPL Diesel (Advt given below)
2. Tata Indica eV2 25 KMPL Petrol/Diesel
3. Tata Indigo eCS 23 KMPL Diesel
4. Nissan Micra 23 KMPL Petrol
5. Tata Nano 23 KMPL Petrol
Attached Thumbnails
Autocar India & Ford Fiesta achieve 33 kpl?-din_fiestaclassic.jpg  

Old 20th April 2011, 14:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Today's top five Indian cars on fuel efficiency (Based on advt)

The small print says the Mileage figure is by Autocar India, which means that the claim can be taken with a load of grease.
What's the ARAI figure for Fiesta ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 20th April 2011 at 14:19.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:01   #56
BHPian

Re: Today's top five Indian cars on fuel efficiency (Based on advt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The small print says the Mileage figure is by Autocar India, which means that the claim can be taken with a load of grease.
What's the ARAI figure for Fiesta ?
http://www.siamonline.in/Fuel_Economy/4W-FE-Data.pdf

20.00 for diesel and 14.1 for gasoline.
Old 20th April 2011, 17:26   #57
BHPian

Re: Autocar India & Ford Fiesta achieve 33 kpl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Taking advertorials to the next level, aren't we? What the heck is the point of such super-economy drives, if at all the mileage achieved is genuine? The driving style that they adopt cannot be used in the real world. Such nonsense and misleading publicity reminds me of some 100cc bike ads that claim 130 kpl!! And then in small print comes the statement "under ideal conditions, of course". You only wonder whose interests the media is out to serve.

Expect something similar from the Logan soon, and almost certainly with a rival magazine.
Actually GTO, I have personally done that and can proudly say that I have achieved 25km/l (on more than one occasion) in my petrol Swift driving at steady 60-65km/h. It is not that we cannot do it but just that we don't do it. I normally maintain speeds between 70-90km/h only on Indian highways and very occasionally touch 100 and I might have hit 120 twice or thrice in four years. Its not about fear but about being safe. On our highways, nobody knows what might happen.
Old 20th April 2011, 18:02   #58
BHPian

I really don't see the point of why Ford can't claim the FE stated. The car did return 33kpl right? They have not mentioned under what conditions, but it was driven on the road, with the engine running, at an average safe speed (i.e 80kmph for expressways).
With the logic of all comments on this post, all advts in the newspapers about cars costing only X amt (ex-showroom) should be void right.
Recently I saw an advt from Nissan about the Micra starting at 4lakhs, which ofcourse is ex-showroom, the price is just the cost of the vehicle & which they've stated correctly. No advt gives the associated costs after purchasing the vehicles, registration, insurance etc.
I don't think there's anything wrong in claiming figures actually returned by a car.
Old 22nd August 2011, 20:44   #59

Tata Indica eV2 announced a competition in Chennai. They specified the route and gave ~20 cars. Some of the drivers are well-known to drive cars at an unbelievable mileage using driving gimmicks Top 3 cars achieved 40+ kmpl mileage in the diesel variants. Top-most was 46 kmpl.

Drivers tips to achieve that mileage:
* Constant driving speed (~50km in city)
* No use of A/C
* Minimal use of brakes
* Switch-off when you see ~3 mins wait time for traffic-signal change
etc, etc. Some of these conditions don't make sense in many cases, but it's possible to achieve that mileage under certain conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks