Team-BHP - Santro CRDi coming this May
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Santro CRDi coming this May (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/37250-santro-crdi-coming-may.html)

Just read on the net about Hyundai planning to launch the Santro Diesel pretty soon. This is surely going to be fantastic for small car buyers, as there wont be monoply of the Swift clap:

Linky to article

Quote:

It is going to be priced around 4.25L-4.50L ex-showroom. The car is said to be extremely fuel efficient with a mileage hovering around 20kmpl in City driving conditions. It is surely going to set the sales chart on fire and give tough competition to the likes of the Indica, Swift & the recently launched Palio 1.3JTD. There are rumours abundant about the engine being the Verna's engine minus one cylinder! The car is seriously incredibly powerful for its size, the 1.1L engine produces a whopping 75bhp of power and 15KGM torque, however Hyundai is contemplating to detune the power to 63bhp. Surely this is going to be the most efficient diesel here as its low kerb weight will play quite a big role in increasing the "KPL", which most indian buyers would look at.

Here are the engine specifications : -

Bore x Stroke - 75.00 mm × 84.50 mm
Cylinders - 3
Displacement - 1120cc
DOHC, 4 Valves per Cylinder, 12 Valves in total
Maximum Output - 75bhp @ 4000RPM
Maximum Torque - 153NM @ 1900-2750RPM
Top Speed - Around 160kmph

if it so,i'll plan to buy this car for my parents.
Already Santro herself proved in small car segment with Petrol Engine.
If it comes with Diesel,it'll sell like a Hot Cake.

I really feel hyundai ha got the timing wrong with the diesel santro. After the i10 launch, they have deliberately pushed the santro down one notch, also, the price range of 4.25 lac ex showroom puts it into palio MJD category!
I think they should launch the i10 with this engine.

Swift diesel is already having competition from the Palio.Indica dicor is also in the fray.But i doubt santros chances with a 3 cylinder engine.The vibrations would be harsh and sound would also be on the higher side.
ram

Nice move.. Putting the diesel engine in Santro is better than i10 in terms of competitive pricing. Watch out Tata Indica.

Santro has lost to i10 and it is considered as on old model. They should have launched i10 diesel.

Hyundai must be trying to milk Santro to its maximum with a CRDI engine. Usually, CRDI from Hyundai is priced more. Pricing is the key for this model to be successful.

why not add some safety features as well, such as abs and airbags into the santro and getz. further since ford has added driver side airbags in the fiesta, hyundai is not following suit by adding airbags to the verna crdi so as to compete with the fiesta and that competition will be ready well before the sx4 diesel is launched.

Is there any another source who is confirming this news?

If this is true then lot's of questions are coming in my mind..

If it's small diesel

1) Why not i10 diesel than santro who is already in now the lower catagory?

2) Why it was not introduced in Getz itself of putting verna engine in the getz? In such case getz + 1.1/2 ltr CRDI should come around swift VDI price

which should sell very well..

What do you think?

In my opinion, the diesel santro, which will be cheaper than the diesel i10, will sell a lot more!

But, why should Hyundai make a choice b/w the two? Why not introduce diesel engines in both the cars?

diesels especially the low end ones cater to the VFM crowd. The i10 is already priced at a premium. An i10 diesel would be way overpriced ( look at the getz crdi) and wouldnt do volumes.

a santro diesel might be a good idea if ( and this is a BIG if ) priced right - something which hyundai seems to have trouble doing.
everyone is doing this- Ford for example.Take a tried and trusted platform, plonk a diesel in it .
Manufacturers have ( finally ) waken up to the fact that diesel sells in india ,something tata has always known, and want to get a piece of that market from tata

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram_hyundai (Post 766956)
Swift diesel is already having competition from the Palio.Indica dicor is also in the fray.But i doubt santros chances with a 3 cylinder engine.The vibrations would be harsh and sound would also be on the higher side.
ram

Well that depends on how well they package it. The Skod Fabia is also a three cylinder diesel engine.

While it may not be super refined like its older siblings, I think its doing fairly well.

Finally Hyundai brings the diesel. But i guess its kinda late. if they launch i10 with diesel then i10 petrol might not sell much. I guess they want to sell i10 in petrol for time being. BUt 4.25 l is n the higher side.

I would prefer i10 with diesel engine rather than Santro. Santro is sort of outdated in looks. Moreover, if both the models come in with diesel engines, then people will prefer i10 rather than santro because of newish looks and interiors.

Yes, it is going to give some tough competition to its counterparts like Fiat 1.3mjd/ swift-ddis/ indica-dicor etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 767329)
Yes, it is going to give some tough competition to its counterparts like Fiat 1.3mjd/ swift-ddis/ indica-dicor etc.

Would you really consider the Santro to be in the same league as these cars? (Primarily in terms of interior space).

I would think that the Getz would be a more worthy counterpart to these cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swale84 (Post 767342)
Would you really consider the Santro to be in the same league as these cars? (Primarily in terms of interior space).

I would think that the Getz would be a more worthy counterpart to these cars.

I'am talking about i10. My gut feeling is it would. :)