Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2008, 08:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

who should be afraid of Dzire

As the launch date of Swift Dzire draws close, a lot of car manufacturers must be having sleepless nights. Although it my not be the perfect vehicle, it seems to be the most significant launch of the year. It is likely to drastically change the contours of the Indian Car market.

Straddling two segments with 6 variants across 2 engines, Dzire has a lot of cars in its sight. For the first time the car buying public will have a modern Diesel sedan in th 5-6 lakh category. ( Logan Diesel in my opinion is too overpriced). Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Verna and Logan which have upto 65% of their sales coming from the Diesel variants would be running scared.If Maruti fllows the agressive pricing policy the sales of these cars would be majorly hit and the car buying public could expect some huge discounts.

On the other hand ther are cars like Ikon, Accent , Logan Petrol, Aveo 1.4 and Fiesta 1.4 which would have to face the Dzire petrol. The Dzire engines are well proven and with the additional space for the back seat passengers and a huge boot, it would an atractive family sedan who have a budget of 4.5 to 5.5 lakhs. With the ZXI and the ZDI versions, you would have features that were never available at this price point before in a sedan.

The Fabia is likely to become a low volume niche product and if the prices are no rejigged, will not get Skoda the volumes that it has been targetting.

Indigo though impacted, would continue to sell, especially the Indigo CS that is priced much lower and gets a significant proportion of it sales from taxi operators. The new IndiXX platform with Fiat Mujtijet engines will now sorely be needed if Tata wants to have a bigger pie of the self driven car segment.

Any party poopers for Maruti? The only problem I foresee is the limited manufacturing capacity especially for the Diesel variant which is expected to result in long waiting period . ( as witnessed with the SX4 earlier and the Swift Diesel currently)

My bet on the numbers Dzire would sell: 6000 -7500 cars a month easily if Maruti can produce as many.

Ladies and gentlemen. Let the games begin.
Old 23rd March 2008, 08:51   #2
BHPian

Hi Rajneesh,

I completely agree with you. Swift Dzire is going to hit the competition hard. One name you haven't mentioned is Honda City. I personally feel that although it is head on competition for SX4 not dzire, still it is going to be affected.
Old 23rd March 2008, 09:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dzire will surely give sleepless nights to many cars like Fiesta D, Fiesta 1.4P, Ikon, NHC(to some extent), Indigo, Accent, Logan and its own siblings, the Swift hatch and SX4.

Was just wondering if we need seperate thread to discuss this?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-pg-20-a.html
Old 23rd March 2008, 09:30   #4
BANNED

Dzire will kill SX4 on account of being a better looker and with a diesel option. Maruti can prevent this from happening by not offering ABS & Airbags in Dzire.
Old 23rd March 2008, 09:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes it would have been better that we continue the discussion there.Still all the cars mentioned above will have a run for the money and the only point the competition would have would be on the looks front.And if they succeed in that its an even game else dzire would burn the sales chart for sure.
ram
Old 23rd March 2008, 10:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Diabloo,

Sx4 vxi may be effected to some extent as will the NHC exi. However I believe the SX4 and NHC will hold on to their cilentale as they are in a different segment.

An SX 4 buyer would look at the Desire as a Swift with a boot. He would want something that is better and will pay for it.

I, myself am taking delivery of an SX4 this week although I know that Dzire is a decent car, cheaper than SX4 and to be launched on 26 March as I want a better car and am willing to pay for it.
Old 23rd March 2008, 10:23   #7
BANNED

I can't think of any factor which is higher in SX4 than Dzire (except the price & width of the car).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
An SX 4 buyer would look at the Desire as a Swift with a boot. He would want something that is better and will pay for it.
Old 23rd March 2008, 10:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

SX4 is in an altogether different league as NHC,VERNA,FIESTA etc.The quality of the interiors are way too high in an sx4.Space is also more in an sx4.In a country where size does matter for the image factor sx4 is way too bigger (visually) than the dzire.To put it in simple terms dzire is an entry level mid sizer and sx4 is a notch up-fully grown mid sizer,lol.
ram
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dzire will kill SX4 on account of being a better looker and with a diesel option. Maruti can prevent this from happening by not offering ABS & Airbags in Dzire.
Quote:
I can't think of any factor which is higher in SX4 than Dzire (except the price & width of the car).
Look who is talking! Even if that happens hypothetically, MSIL will not care if SX4 sales will be hit due to Dzire as it belongs to the same stable. But sure Honda will (if SX4 is hit, ditto with NHC and it can be worse than SX4). Imagine, a barebone car like NHC, and Dzire fully loaded (both petrol and Diesel), more powerful engine, all safety features, climate control, steering wheel controls etc, all for less than 1.5-2 lacs less than NHC... man, NHC is going to be slaughtered.. more so, when SX4 1.9 DDiS come into picture...More reasons to get new City

Last edited by iTNerd : 23rd March 2008 at 11:18.
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
SX4 is in an altogether different league as NHC,VERNA,FIESTA etc.
Not sure about the Fiesta diesel though. From the looks of things the Dzire seems to have similar interior space to the Fiesta. The Fiesta has an engine which is 100cc bigger but produces less power and considerably less torque. While we assume the Zdi to be 7 L on-road, the cheapest variant of Fiesta diesel is 7.5 L. So will people pay an additional 50 K for a car which is stripped down of nearly all equipments, doesn't match up in safety features, and which is lower on the performance charts?

On the other hand the Verna diesel has atleast a much more powerful engine. Honestly, I cant find any reason to buy the Fiesta D once this car is launched.

Last edited by burnt. : 23rd March 2008 at 11:12.
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand the Verna diesel has atleast a much more powerful engine. Honestly, I cant find any reason to buy the Fiesta D once this car is launched.
Fiesta D's sale is already down, with Verna D getting the edge.. so agree with you.. it may further slip down the sale chart
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:18   #12
BANNED

Its the same stuff being heard since 2003 . Hearing on & on. Many came and are gone but see who is still holding its head high?

IMHO, NHC is the most misunderstood car in this forum.

FYI 1: NHC customer will never buy Dzire.
FYI 2: New NHC (NC) is due in October 2008 . So MSIL & other have 5 years to come up with a challenge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
NHC is going to be slaughtered.. more so, when SX4 1.9 DDiS come into picture...
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its the same stuff being heard since 2003 . Hearing on & on. Many came and are gone but see who is still holding its head high?
What was the sale figure of Jan and Feb for 2008? Ask yourself why was there a phenomenon drop of 60% in Feb sale? you are clever enough to judge that! And yeah, I agree with emotion icon above.

Quote:
IMHO, NHC is the most misunderstood car in this forum.
IMHO, it is so misunderstood car, that (not so informed) people just buy it for mostly exaggarated FE sake and nothing else..
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand why NHC is brought in the picture. and yup its hightime
Ford does some facelift for the Fiesta. Fiesta sales are going down.
Dzire will surely sell like hotcakes ! we have to see the waiting period issue too!!!
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:45   #15
BANNED

Here it is:

For NHC:
Jan 08: 5,801
Feb 08: 2,310

For SX4+Esteem (pity that SX4 has to take help of humble Esteem to boost its figures):
Jan 08: 2,939 (< 5,801)
Feb 08: 1,958 (< 2,310)

Similarly can't get Swift figures because its tied to Alto's numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
What was the sale figure of Jan and Feb for 2008?

Last edited by diabloo : 23rd March 2008 at 11:47.

Most Viewed