Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2008, 12:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, tow koshuns:
a. Firstly, at this rate, we'll keep hearing tales of the NHC demise even when I'll be ready to roll over
b. secondly, am I the only one who thikns that the FIRST cars to get cannibalized will be the SX4 and the Swift?

/dons fire retardant suit and runs!
Old 23rd March 2008, 12:37   #17
BANNED

. SX4 vs DZire is the battle to be witnessed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
b. secondly, am I the only one who thikns that the FIRST cars to get cannibalized will be the SX4 and the Swift?
Attached Images

Old 23rd March 2008, 12:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

I think we're getting carried away here - the Swift with a boot is being seen as a threat to a wide segment of cars from the Indigo to the City, which is rather unrealistic. Lets face it - it is a Swift at the end of the day, which is cramped on space when compared to most, if not all other, C-Segment hatches.

Yes it will make an impact initially if priced right, but unlike the premium Hatch market where it stole a march on others on account of being the only premium diesel vehicle, this time it has its job cut out against a market full of premium diesels.
Old 23rd March 2008, 13:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well said steer,That was spot on buddie.We dont have to be afraid of dzire to nudge into the NHC or the SX4 for that matter.
ram
Old 23rd March 2008, 14:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well,
The Honda City has definitely been effected by the introduction of the SX4. The GXI now comes with alloys and some changes have been introduced on the exi as well. This when the NHC is around the corner, points to the fact that the city is feeling the heat. Honda had introduced the NHC at a lower price than the model it replaced and the move had yielded benfits in terms of the sales going up tremendously. The same be repeated this time as well.

Honda City will continue to sell but it will no longer command the premium as does today. A proportion of the buyers who buy the car ( esp the exi variant) for its fuel efficiency may have an option available in form of Dzire diesel.

That said, the Fiesta Diesel, the Verna and the Logan have more to fear. This is all the more true as they have no new launches scheduled . We might see new discounts and more variants being introduced to keep the sales up.
Old 23rd March 2008, 15:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

The swift dzire is an entry level mid segment car wherein the main competition is from Indigo/Ikon/Logan. The Fiesta/NHC/Verna are way ahead with comparision with Swift dzire. Yes, these cars does not offer what the dzire is offering in terms of safety. But in terms build quality, interior space and its interior parts these are way ahead compared to dzire.
Old 23rd March 2008, 15:05   #22
BANNED

Its more to do with excise duty cut in the budget 2008 than SX4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The Honda City has definitely been effected by the introduction of the SX4. The GXI now comes with alloys and some changes have been introduced on the exi as well. This when the NHC is around the corner, points to the fact that the city is feeling the heat.
Are you taking about OHC vs NHC? NHC is the next generation car in the City lineage & doesn't share anything with OHC. So it has got its own price.
Quote:
Honda had introduced the NHC at a lower price than the model it replaced and the move had yielded benfits in terms of the sales going up tremendously. The same be repeated this time as well.
NHC is still doing the number - forget SX4, Verna, Fiesta (even with their diesel option) couldn't dent the numbers and you believe Dzire will do it?
Quote:
Honda City will continue to sell but it will no longer command the premium as does today.
Taxi operators buy a petrol car like NHC for fuel efficiency? Wrong my friend. Car rental companies stock NHC to cater to their premium customers and this is an insignificant number.
Quote:
A proportion of the buyers who buy the car ( esp the exi variant) for its fuel efficiency may have an option available in form of Dzire diesel.
Taxi operators didn't take to Swift Diesel. There is no reason why they will go for Dzire.
Old 23rd March 2008, 15:11   #23
BHPian

The Dzire was featured on the Car&Bike show just now. The car looks quite acceptable and shares the hatch's ride/handling characteristics.

But it is clear that the rear legroom issues have been inherited by the sedan too. Another weird thing was that the boot's support levers intrude significantly into the boot space when closed, thereby reducing the boot's usability (i.e. for large pieces of luggage).

So, the Indigo could still remain the vehicle of choice for some folks, especially the chauffeur-driven (and that includes the taxi segment). What say?
Old 23rd March 2008, 15:18   #24
BANNED

Vehicles used as taxis, big time in our part of the country:
1. Indica
2. Sumo
3. Tavera
4. Qualis
5. Innova
Indigo is not in the list. I don't think Dzire will make it to this list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
So, the Indigo could still remain the vehicle of choice for some folks, especially the chauffeur-driven (and that includes the taxi segment). What say?
Old 23rd March 2008, 16:12   #25
BHPian

I think the only one running scared of Dzire is our own T-Bhp NHC spokesperson....

Sadly, why flog an old horse, when it doesnt even belong to the same segment!
Old 23rd March 2008, 16:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

If priced correctly (Maruthi is known for this), Dezire will surely give sleepless nights to Fiesta D, Fiesta 1.4P, Ikon, Indigo, Accent and Logan.

Its own siblings, the Swift hatch and SX4, will also be affected.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 23rd March 2008 at 16:29.
Old 23rd March 2008, 17:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Look who is talking! Even if that happens hypothetically, MSIL will not care if SX4 sales will be hit due to Dzire as it belongs to the same stable. But sure Honda will (if SX4 is hit, ditto with NHC and it can be worse than SX4). Imagine, a barebone car like NHC, and Dzire fully loaded (both petrol and Diesel), more powerful engine, all safety features, climate control, steering wheel controls etc, all for less than 1.5-2 lacs less than NHC... man, NHC is going to be slaughtered.. more so, when SX4 1.9 DDiS come into picture...More reasons to get new City
Mate what if we campare the refinement, quality of interiors, mileage and built quality. Honda is a clear winner here.

No Offense mate but I had read here on tbhp forum itself, many complaints of swift's rattling problems, few sx4 with same problem.

Honda had sold 2,310 units of City, Hyundai has sold 2,132 units of Verna while Maruti Suzuki has sold 1,953 units of SX4 in February.

Why SX4's sales are going down? Honda and Verna going up?

I had read in few magz. Comparison bet. SX4 and Honda City. Not much of a difference bet. both of them in terms of performance.
Even though SX4 has 102 horse under it's hood, still hardly any difference in the performance.

MSIL is here for excellent after sale service etc No doubt about it.

Oh yes, A New Car with New Design and Suzuki Label shining on the grill. A lot of people will be attracted for sure.

Petrol:
Threats to Logan, It will really eat sales of Logan.
Threats to Accent, It will surely effect the sales of Accent. But it will not ruin it for sure.
Threats to Swift Hatchback? I think YES. It will surely effect sales of the hatchback.

Diesel:
Threats to Logan. 100% sure about it.
Threats to Indigo: It will effect but not that much.

I think the sale will not go down like sx4 because of the price. Same with Swift hatchback.

Companies have to give good discounts on their cars to break Dzire.
Old 23rd March 2008, 17:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Here it is:

For NHC:
Jan 08: 5,801
Feb 08: 2,310

For SX4+Esteem (pity that SX4 has to take help of humble Esteem to boost its figures):
Jan 08: 2,939 (< 5,801)
Feb 08: 1,958 (< 2,310)

Similarly can't get Swift figures because its tied to Alto's numbers
Yup the figures are right. I agree.

Quote:
What was the sale figure of Jan and Feb for 2008? Ask yourself why was there a phenomenon drop of 60% in Feb sale? you are clever enough to judge that! And yeah, I agree with emotion icon above.

IMHO, it is so misunderstood car, that (not so informed) people just buy it for mostly exaggarated FE sake and nothing else..
Mate its not just FE sake, but refinement and built quality. Yes, Honda cars are over priced.
I had driven both of them, not much of difference in performance.
So, both the cars are superior in their own way.
SX4 ahead with goodies and safety features
Honda city in built quality and FE.

Anyways, it is Dzire's thread not Honda city vs SX4.

Can we start talking of dzire effecting sales of City or SX4?
Old 23rd March 2008, 17:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Look who is talking! Even if that happens hypothetically, MSIL will not care if SX4 sales will be hit due to Dzire as it belongs to the same stable. But sure Honda will (if SX4 is hit, ditto with NHC and it can be worse than SX4). Imagine, a barebone car like NHC, and Dzire fully loaded (both petrol and Diesel), more powerful engine, all safety features, climate control, steering wheel controls etc, all for less than 1.5-2 lacs less than NHC... man, NHC is going to be slaughtered.. more so, when SX4 1.9 DDiS come into picture...More reasons to get new City
Agreed that SX4 is better than Swift/DZir
SX4 = Newer, better engine, more power.
Swift/DZire Petro = 1980s totally unrefined engine by todays standards.

But disagree about Honda.

In comparison, Honda has very refined engines and transmission.
Honda engines are dead silent, more fuel efficient + no quality issues.
A honda is a Honda.

An little more educated customer may go for a Honda.
Or else, SX4 - as second option.
Last option will be DZire (probably because he couldn't afford a Honda) and because he couldnt afford a Honda, we will always say Dzire is a better car. And the debate will go on.
Old 23rd March 2008, 18:30   #30
BHPian

IMO, to conclude that the dzire is going to affect the sales of only entry level sedans like the Indigo and Logan is quite premature.

The Dzire diesel surely could affect the sales of the lower variants of the C-segment sedans like SX4, NHC, Verna, Fiesta etc. Me being an example of that myself. I was planning to go in for the SX4 Vxi. But hearing about the launch of this car, I've decided to wait and check out the Dzire before buying. The Zdi version, in particular interests me.

Most Viewed